“a little disappointed”

Speculum Alchemiae Museum
Ranked #40 of 935 things to do in Prague
More attraction details
Owner description: Our museum called Speculum Alchemiae, is situated in one of the oldest houses in Prague. There are secret alchemical laboratories from the 16th century in the museum underground that were built for the king Rudolf II. The alchemists of that time used to prepare elixirs in there. The museum building also includes a shop, where equal elixirs can be bought. These elixirs are prepared under strict conditions according to their original recipes which have been found here. Newly, we also offer a unique tour of magical places in Prague which are connected with the Speculum Alchemiae museum. The guided tour includes the Prague Castle, Vysehrad, Charles Bridge, Old Town Square, and the museum. At these places you learn about many amazing legends and mythological stories associated with the so-called Prague Magical Triangle.
Newry, United Kingdom
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“a little disappointed”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

the house itself is nice, but guide not very good. Difficulties in understanding my questions. It was not interactive, very script restrictive. But I liked the house with its secret passage way. I would recommend to visit the alchemists and magicians museum instead, which was awesome

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Prague, Czech Republic
“I must recommend it!”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is the original laboratory, which he built emperor Rudolf the second , And which was discovered after the floods in 2002. At exposure are some of the original original articles from this place. You can buy there a potions according to original recipes, mixed in Rajhradu on Moravia. And it's true atmosphere, it is a powerful place.
For 200CzK you see something that you know about only from fairy tales.

Visited May 2014
San Francisco, California
“A must see if you are interested in Alchemy, Science or the Occult.”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This was one of my favorite museums in Prague! I own an occult bookstore and I found this exhibit fascinating. Our tour guide was excellent and answered all of our questions. I forgot his name - he was Italian though. (thank you!) We started with a history of alchemy, saw an alchemists study and then headed underground to see several chambers that served as alchemist workrooms. They let you take as many pictures as you want and the entire staff was super sweet and helpful. They suggested some other tours to take and helped me track down the location of the local Witches Night festival (pálení čarodějnic). This was koruna well spent and I’m so glad I had this experience.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Fascinating wee museum”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was a fascinating wee museum that reminded me of the Edinburgh vaults (I currently live in Edinburgh). It is a tour that takes you underground to discover the tunnels and rooms that alchemists used to use so they could practice in secret. It was discovered during the floods of 2002 and does involve some reconstruction due to the deterioration of some stone plaques and artefacts (some of which was damaged in the flood). I found it very interesting although I would have liked a little more history about the alchemists. However, for 200 CZK (£6) I don't think it's too badly priced and it was definitely one of the best museums I visited in Prague.

Visited March 2014
Helsinki, Finland
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“HIGHLIGHT of my trip to Prague!”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Small but VERY intriguing place, A MUST SEE to all those who are interested in alchemy and/or occult. There are two alchemy museums in Prague and THIS is the better one, located in the old Jewish part of city, easy to find. The guide spoke perfect English and they allow you to take photos as well. ( NOTE: the place is pretty dark an they have narrow, steep stairs to the basement floor. No toilets for public use. )
200 korunas and about 30 minutes time well spent! Highly recommended.