“Prague visit 19th June - Marieta Hattingh South Africa”
Review of Popelka

Popelka
Ranked #264 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Vanderbijlpark, Gauteng, South Africa
“Prague visit 19th June - Marieta Hattingh South Africa”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

A big thank you to wonderful staff of Hotel Popelka. Their is just NOTHING negative to report on! It is near the Tram Station, excellent rooms and service. Please take note there is not a little supermarket nearby, so make sure you have all essentails needed before you hop off at the tram station.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Timisoara, Romania
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Very nice hotel, friendly service.
The location a bit far from the historical center but a very quiet.
The neighberhood is a bit creepy at night. No one one the streets.
Must go at a nearby restaurant Le lapin Bleu. Nice one.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank adicroi
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at hotel popelka, the room was very spacious, the bathroom was large and very clean and also included a bath as well as complementaries. Towels were clean and changed daily. There was a mini bar which was very reasonable ( a bottle of water being less than £1 (20czk) ). They were happy for you to eat in your room and even ordered take out food for you if you wished and provided take out menus for recommended local restaurants. I ordered pizza one night which was a very simple process, the receptionist was happy to help with the language on the menu as well, be aware the sometimes restaurants in Czech Republic will add on small extra charges in this case we had an added charge for the cardboard box the pizza was delivered in.

The staff were very pleasant and very helpful throughout the entire stay. Even before I arrived due to flooding just before I left I sent them an email asking whether the hotel was affected and had a lovely reply explaining that the hotel was under no threat and would remain open and safe.

The breakfast was lovely, it was continental breakfast everything was fresh and it was a good variety if foods and choices, a small cooked section as well with different meats to try each day. There was also a czech breakfast option of beef broth, I didn't try it, but it's nice see the option. There was also tea, coffee, orange juice and ice tea to choose from at breakfast too.

I was in a good location to a tram stop and the tram took around 15/20 minutes to get into town, during a busy time I think I 30 minute tram ticket for 18czk would be a safer option. Just as a tip I found buying 2 tram tickets from the machine before I got on the tram was useful instead of wandering around town trying to find somewhere that sold them and had the ticket I wanted available. If the idea of using trams is worrying and you are thinking against this hotel for ha reason, the trams are incredibly convenient and you soon get the hang of it! (Always buy your ticket before you get on a tram and remember to always use the machine on the tram to validate your ticket!!) but it's also a great Prague experience to use the trams and when you understand them, it opens up a lot of options for travel in the city.

Another good point in the hotel is the information the provide on arrival! They provide useful information and tips about the city, recommended restaurants, tips on how to safely use a taxi (without getting ripped off) a map of the city and other useful information!

Overall a lovely stay and a very enjoyable visit to a gorgeous city (despite everything being closed due to the flooding!)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mason86
Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in the popelka.
Hotel is very easy to find. Just a few hundred meters away is the tram station u zvonu where every 3 minutes leaves a tram to the city Center. You can reach wenzels place in just 15 minutes. There is a free and safe parking place for cars inside the hotels area.
Room was very big and clean. Breakfast was good. Nothing to complain.
Just to explain why i gave only 3 out of 5 points.
Staff could be little bit more friendly. In the breakfast room no one said Hallo or good morning.
Hot Water pressure was low.
The last night a group of young people had a party in the room above. Didn't say nothing until 11:30 pm. Then i went to the reception to ask for silence. Don't understand me wrong. Young people have to party. But not in a hotel and especially not at midnight. Don't no if the receptionist went up. Party was going on.
But i would stay there again.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Popelka during may 2013 and I wasn't expecting much for what we paid for our 4 night stay but boy I was pleasantly surprised! This place is pretty perfect!
We stayed in room 213 which is towards the back/side of the hotel and has a small balcony, our room had a double bed and a single bed, tv, table and chairs, wardrobes and a gorgeous bathroom with one of the best showers I've ever used.

We checked in pretty late and were greeted by reception who swiftly did everything that needed doing and gave us some helpful maps and info, we went up to our room and I couldn't believe how clean it was! The carpets were hoovered, there wasn't a speck of dust anywhere and believe me we were through, mainly because we were looking for the safe (which we never found!).

The bathroom had a huge sink, a large shower cubical and a hairdryer, the only thing that worried me was the tiled floor, I had to used a towel as a bath mat because I was scared of slipping, but no big deal.

Breakfast was buffet style, and had everything from cereal and coffee to broth and salami. Everything that was cooked was lovely. Not usually being a breakfast person but I did enjoy the food.

The hotel is a few minutes from the tram stop which can take you right into the heart of the city. I liked the hotel location as I didn't feel like I had tourists right outside my window and the street where the hotel is, is close to silent.

I don't know what more I can say about Hotel Popelka except, I'd love to stay again!

• Stayed May 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Very quiet, clean hotel. Stayed 4 nights bed and breakfast -booked via (Hotels 4U). Good choice at breakfast. Large car park at front of hotel, most cars Czech, German and Polish. We were in room 306 at rear on third (top) floor- access by lift or stair we never used stair.Staff I spoke to all spoke English. I would recommend this hotel N O T E all major sights within easy reach by tram and Underground ( Get map) Nearest tram stop is U Zvonnu were you can get trams 4 6 9 and 10
there is one every couple of minutes To get to tram stop leave hotel, turn right walk 70 yds to traffic lights, cross main road walk directly up opposite street after 50 yds climb stairs on left, at top turn right stay on pavement tram stop 120 yds same side. Purchase tram/bus/underground tickets at yellow machine and validate first use on tram. 3 Day pass the best about £10

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JimCalder
RVavra, Director of Sales at Popelka, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Sirs,
thank you for your stay in hotel Popelka and for your review.
We are pleased we could welcome you among our guests.
We look forward to your next stay.
Have a nice day!
Team of hotel Popelka
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Overall, a decent place to spend a couple of nights. The room was sparse but had the essentials, there was a consistent breakfast with enough variety and friendly staff. My only complaint is amount of noise in the hotel in the evening and early morning. Not only were there several groups of loud and obnoxious guests which the staff did not make an effort to control (yelling in the lobby, knocking on doors at 5 am) but there was also construction on the house next door that began at 6am and continued all day. Not much sleep to be had.

• Stayed April 2013
RVavra, Director of Sales at Popelka, responded to this review, 4 May 2013
Dear Sirs,

thank you for your stay in our hotel Popelka and for your review.
Guest satisfaction and making their stay in our hotel a memorable
experience is very important to us.
We are sorry for problems of noise.
We will improve our services.
Have a nice day!