“Give this place a miss”

Museum of Alchemists and Magicians of Old Prague
Ranked #307 of 928 things to do in Prague
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Prague is a golden, mysterious city with one hundred spires, and for all that it thanks among other to the alchemists, who belong to it inseparably. It is gold plated by their philosopher's stone produced perhaps in one of its hundred towers - in Mihulka, or maybe in Kelley's tower in the House of the Donkey by the Cradle in a mysterious laboratory. Now you can get there by visiting the Museum of Alchemists and Magicians of old Prague, where you can look under the lids of bowls of emperor Rudolf's alchemists.
Dublin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Give this place a miss”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

When we walked into the Muzeum Alchymistu Prague we were greeted by two staff who were clearly preoccupied with their phones and barely looked up! We were taken up to a separate tower by our guide who literally spent five minutes telling us about the attraction. It was actually quite comical how terrible this tour was which is a shame because the attraction itself is beautiful however it is let down by its staff.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank amy077

• Czech first
Chester, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Complete let down”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

This 'museum' is one room and then the tower.
The one room is no bigger than the ground floor of a small house and the so called interactive parts are awful. I was left looking for the actual museum only to discover there wasn't one.
There is a vast quantity of things to read. You would need hours. Literally A2 size plaques on the wall and a scroll that must have been at least 5m long but apart from a few tacky glass bottles with coloured lights underneath them this was about it. I understand that at a museum you want to learn and know what you're looking at but this was virtually a book stuck on a wall and nothing else..
The stairs to the tower is advertised as the oldest in Prague but you wouldn't know this and there's no information about them at all.
The tower / laboratory is just a display of more glass jars, lights and dolls resemebling those that may have been used. Yet again there is so much to read you could be there for hours.
Save your money and buy a book to read if the comfort of your own home if you want to learn about alchemy.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank 81pingu81
Berlin, Germany
3 attraction reviews
“It was experience, not just a museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

We was here half a year, maybe more, when I was in Prague, and I was really fascinate by this museum. Maybe its just a legend, maybe really true, that its on real place where it was happened - where lived Edward kelley - famous alchemist from time of Rudolf II. We started in first floor. It well done, mystical room - I think it might be room of Faustus house, many interestink information about alchemy, but just a museum. But what we saw then - UHHH I still feel thist feeling. I felt like I´m in 16 century... Atmosfere like we are really on that time of Rudolf II. And Rudolf II was there also, same like John Dee, edwarda kelley and I was really shocked - here was also William Shakespeare. I didn´t know that he left England, but by this museum he was also in Prague. Thist museum is nicest museum I have ever seen. And I had to go to this lab Pub Kellyxir for drink before I came back to the boring and poor 21 century. And I was there with my family and my children was really fascinated by this museum. Here I first time felt Old Prague.

Visited July 2013
Moscow, Russia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Really liked it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Spent a lot of time reading the museum materials and taking photos of the exhibition. The atmosphere is quite mystic especially if it's not interrupted by guests using flash to make a photo. The stuff is knowledgeable and friendly. Learnt a lot about Kelly and other alchemists of Prague.

PS. If you have no time to read the information, there is a brochure named "Alchemists and magicians of old Prague" (available in many languages). I've bought it for 75 Kč.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Polina L
Atlanta, Georgia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“I guess its what you bring to it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

Five of us (ages 22-54) had a BLAST at this museum and the attached pub. Its located off the beaten track and it was nice to get far from the maddening crowd (Prague is so crowded with tourists!). The museum is small, yes. It is also well done. Our guide told us that the spiral staircase you walk up (Kelly's Tower) is the oldest staircase in Prague. The exhibits in the loft area are well done and tell a story of alchemy and experiments gone wrong (and right). The eerie light and cool set design was worth the admission fee alone. We got some great photos here. The small room off the ticket office is bizarre with wax figures. Total photo op. The museum brought all those stories about alchemy, wizards and the magical side of Prague come alive. Note: we like small museums. BONUS: grab a beer in the pub that looks like some mad chemist just stepped out. Staff were very helpful.

Visited August 2013