“A Czexh Gastropub experience”
Review of Ambiente Lokal

Ambiente Lokal
Ranked #744 of 5,589 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Czech
Neighbourhood: Mala Strana (Little Quarter)
Neighbourhood: Mala Strana (Little Quarter)
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Great locally produced meat and produce and brewery, always lively and fun. The prices are very affordable and portions are light with a la carte side options.

There are newer reviews for Ambiente Lokal

Reviewed 21 March 2014

There are two branches of Lokal. I went to the one by Charles bridge. The food was good, with lots of various sausages etc. I didn't have beer, but my husband said it was good. Lots of local people, so not too touristy.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Great Pilsner on tap and you get a card to mark off how many your table drinks! We, sadly, did not come close to filling up the card. The food was great Czech food. The waiters were super friendly to us even with our 1year old daughter. Good prices too! A pub atmosphere, but has a nonsmoking section. We ended up needing a reservation on the weekend.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Lokal is part of a small chain in Prague (there are, I think, two or three other locations, as well as some sister restaurants owned by the same company). This location is part of an inn located in Mala Strana, very close to the Charles Bridge. Food was good but not great (though portions were generous and fairly priced), beer was great (but it's hard to find beer in Prague that isn't!), service was not so great (it took a while after we were seated to get menus, then another while before someone came to take our order, and no one really seemed to be responsible for our table). The room was fairly basic; nothing really on which to comment. One interesting thing I will point out is that they seem to take their beer seriously: there were several different versions of Pilsner Urquell on the menu, and when I asked the difference the explanation was that each was the same beer but drawn from the tap differently to create more or less foam...interesting. I wanted to like Lokal more. It seems to want to be a place for "foodies" (which I am); they have their own butcher shop and make their own sausages and smoke their own meats, they make their own mustard, etc., but it just wasn't that special, at least not for lunch. Lokal is a decent place to stop for a casual lunch if you are nearby, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

On the recommendation of our friend who lives in Prague, we had dinner at the Ambiente Lokal on our first night in town and I'm so glad we did. We wanted non-smoking so we were seated in a cellar area which dated back many centuries. They weren't entirely sure just how many centuries but thought perhaps it was from the 11th or 12th century - it felt very special to be in that area and the ambiance was appreciated by other diners as well from what I could tell.

They had non-alcoholic beer, which isn't always easy to find but since my husband and I don't drink alcohol, it was nice to have that option available. They also had menus printed in English - a nice 'nod' to the many English-speaking tourists - in addition to their Czech language menus. The server didn't have a mastery of English but fortunately our friend was able to translate - the rest was done by pointing to menu items - it works!

I had a nice chopped salad with feta cheese and a specialty of the house, which was chicken breast cooked with a mushroom sauce [I don't remember the Czech name for the dish] - my husband got some sort of dumpling and a chicken salad. You can see pictures of our meals below. Our friend got similar dishes, we all had drinks, dessert and coffee, and the total bill was around $50 USD - not bad for three people having a nice dinner!

The service was really tops, too - even though our servers didn't speak much English, they managed to communicate well with the menus and our orders were delivered promptly and correctly. They also had the perfect balance between being available to help in case we needed something without hovering or intruding on our meal - hard to pull off but they did a superb job with service at this place. I highly recommend it!