“Not four star! for sure”
Review of Gallery Hotel SIS

Gallery Hotel SIS
Ranked #414 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Where to start, first of all we got a transfer from airport to the hotel so can not comment on public transport to the hotel. While this hotel is out of the city centre the tram service is very good, the no 11 will take you to the main square in 10 min and is a very regular service. It's about a 5 min walk to the tram stop where you can get the no 11 or the no 18 which takes you very close to the castle,whick is located in the old town. The tram sevice is very easy to operate just take a walk down the hill from the hotel and in to the shop and buy some tram tickets which you stamp on the tram. Buy the cheap ones, 18Kc, which will get you in to town no problem.
It is possible to eat cheaply in Prague and get good quality. We managed just by going off the main street. Be aware of service charges though! Some places will add extras onto your bill, be vigilant and check each item on your bill. If necessary, get them to explain it to you.
The hotel room was very basic for a four star hotel. For example I expected tea and coffee facilties in the room but there was none. The room should have been a double but was two single beds pushed together- they were even at different heights! Rock solid is not a term I would use lightly. No bin in the room apart from the toilet.
Towels and bed linen not changed.
The pressure in the shower was poor. It took twice as long to take a shower due to this.
Breakfast was o.k but better get there early, there was a good selection, especially if you are european.
Also they have a bribe in their hotel guide card in the rooms which basically says that if you give them a full review, you are entitled to a free nights stay the next time you stay with them.
The bar downstairs was a disappointment. We went there on Friday night with the promise of 'live music'. However, when we arrived (at about 8:30pm) there was no one there! The bar man looked shocked to see people! We ordered a beer and a glass of red wine - it came to 320kc! This is ridiculous. In town you can pick up the same beer for 30kc instead of the 70kc we were charged, and the wine for 40kc instead of the whopping 250kc we were charged. I know hotels charge a bit more, but this was extortionate! We felt very cheated by this and did not venture down again.
A hotel I would definitely not recommend, there must be some thing better in Prague for the money you are spending. However, if you're looking for something basic and you do not have high expectations then this hotel might suit.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Murloc

Reviewed 20 September 2010

The rooms were VERY small, the bed was near the wall, we couldn't get off the bed only on one side. Breakfast was ok, but pretty poor. We booked the hotel through a low cost booking website, so the price was ok for the service, but the displayed price in the lobby was outrageous! I'm glad we didn't pay that amount of money!
I would recomend this hotel only for budget travelers, and only if you book it through a low cost website!
Also, the pictures in the tripadvisor gallery are not real, are from the old hotel (Hotel Bonn i think).
Beware!!! Our car window was broken in front of the hotel by someone who tried to steal our navigation system, so DO park your car in the hotel garage, even if it's pretty expensive!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alinateorean
Reviewed 15 November 2009

very disappointed as pictures and discription of hotel were not accurate. The room we had could not possibly have been updated in 2008, and no part of the hotel that we saw could have been either. The handle of the main door came off in our hands when we first entered the room .The hotel itself, and our room smelt of old stale sweat. The non smoking policy was only between the hours of 07.30 and 10.30, hence the smoky atomsphere was around all the time. The breakfast served was of a low standard. The hotel was situated in an undiserable area which did not seem at all safe. However, the receptionist was very helpful and also agreed with our views, which she had already mentioned to the management, but to no avail. We stayed just one night out of the six, deciding that if we were to enjoy Prague we would have to find other accomodation.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank harveeguy
Reviewed 7 June 2009

The hotel room was tiny and there was a strange, bad smell. It was very clean though, and shower and aircon worked well. It was annoyning that they didn't change towels although we stayed there for 7 nights (!), and also asked them to do so. The room was also quite noisy (thin walls I quess), and we could hear almost everything from the neighbouring rooms. Staff at the reception was friendly and quite helpful, but they charged an extra fee of 150 czk (app. 6 eur) for ordering a taxi to the airport. Also the buffet breakfast is not a 4-star, there are all the basic things (bread, ham, cheese, yoghurt, cereals) but no fresh fruits etc. and coffee was really horrible. All in all, I'd say that this is a 3-star hotel.

I do NOT recommend the hotel spa. I had a treatment which should had been a pampering and relaxing experience but instead it was very unpleasant, and not at all worth its (quite high) price. Also, the massageur (male) behaved really unprofessionally, and if I had been in my own country I'd have made a complaint about sexual harassment.

Location of the hotel is not as good as they claim it to be. If you take a tram (no 11 to Museum) it takes about 15 minutes to get to the center of the city (Wenceslas square), and 20 min tram ticket costs 18 czk so it's cheap. If you go by foot it takes about 40 minutes (depending on how fast you walk). There are no restaurants nor cafes near the hotel so you have to go the center to get something to eat.

2  Thank Swan_Finland
Reviewed 26 May 2009

when travelling to the hotel from the airport, get the 119 bus, at the last stop, take the metro to the muzeum, then transfer into a tram going to horky, it'll be roughly 5 minutes walk to the hotel.

its more cheaper and convenient to buy a one day travel ticket (100cK) to tour around the city, though plan ahead on your travels coz itll require you to take your walking shoes throughout the journey. to get there by cab would cost you between 600-800cK.

on arrival, television and safe was not working, reported it thru reception, no one to help out. When we managed eventually to get the tv working, its all local channels!

room is spacious though the hotel is a bit outdated, stayed for 3 days, no cleaning in between, they don't change your towels either. we woke up early hours in the morning due to some noises... looks as if someones renovating somewhere, but there's no notice of any works being done.

the only plus side is the breakfast. there was a good selection of cold and warm foods. Its replenished every minute!

there are lots of good scenic spots, the bad side is, they don't have english translation for you to know what monument youre looking at.
fastfood stops or restauarants are all over... there's no excuse for you to get hungry.

Reviewed 16 May 2009

If you want service, if you want 4 star, if you want comfort, if you want value for your money, don't book this hotel... From the first moment I stepped in this hotel, the staff strictly rips you off, everybody working here is NOT friendly at all... First of all, I booked a double room, when I arrived they gave me the smallest room ever. (single) With nothing working... And a broken glass in the bathroom, They charged me 500 czech crones for this... Putted the blame on me!!! I went down to reception to complain, they said it was a mistake, but I have to pay another 60 euro to change the room (3nights) Everything is not as described. No aircondition, no WI-FI, No Hairdryer... And the first day of stay... No room cleaning... I totally hate this spot... I will STRONGLY not recommend this hotel for anyone....!!!!

1  Thank tourist-doubleO7
Reviewed 28 April 2009

i have read alot of reviews about this hotel and i must say most them are true. The hotel was very hard to find since this is way off the city center and once you are far from the tourist areas, you will have trouble communicating. but that is not the hotel's fault. i was on a tight budget since i was backpacking so i was not expecting a "shangri-la". i must start with the hotel staff, who was very helpful in showing me how to reach the city center and what sights to see without me asking which was a big plus. i got to my room and although i expected a bigger space, was clean had a big bed and had a nice bathroom. i also noticed that there were only 4 channels on tv and no english programs (not even subtitles) so i recommend bringing an ipod or just stay out as long as you can. this was perfect for me because i only used the room to sleep in. and i must agree with one review that the surrounding areas didnt look safe at night, but found an alternate route at the front where most of the shops were. the breakfast was quite filling but could use a little more variety. all in all, i had a pleasant stay and would recommend this to any traveler on a budget. i am just annoyed at some reviews that tell how "bad" this hotel is when it is not.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo