“Great location to tour Prague”
Review of Hotel Golden Deer

Hotel Golden Deer
Ranked #260 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 2 May 2013

First, understand what we were doing. My wife and I decided to do what my friends did 30 years ago, take a small backpack and a Eurail pass to travel around part of Europe in a simple fashion. We looked for decent, basic hotels within walking distance (or an easy bus or tram ride) from the train station and/or from the main attractions. We usually spent one night in each place and moved on. We did not spend much time in the hotels, so we required only a decent place to sleep, bathe, and wash out some clothes in the sink. If breakfast was included, all the better.

Given our parameters, this hotel worked very well. It was a little trek from the train station but right in the old town a few steps from the main plaza. The staff was friendly and sufficiently multilingual and the breakfast decent. The building itself and the room have seen better days and could use some freshening up. For example, the paint was peeling off the ceiling, and the cleaning was far from meticulous. After walking around town all day, it was nice to be staying very close. The breakfast was included and more than adequate. The best part of this hotel - location.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trottermex

Reviewed 10 April 2013

The location of this hotel just steps from Old Town Square is perfect. We had a very large quad room for our family of 4. The fourth bed was a couch made over but it worked fine for our teenage daughter. The other three beds were some of the most comfortable we encountered on our trip. The bathroom was spacious with a modern shower stall, however hot water was in limited supply after the first shower or two. The breakfast had lots of options including scrambled eggs every morning. We'll certainly stay here again on our next trip to Prague.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2013

A quaint building reputedly dating back to the year 1366 located in the very heart of the old city in Prague. Most sights are just a 5 or 10 minute stroll.
The rooms are clean but spartan. There is no elevator but the staff helped us senior citizens by bringing our baggage up two flights of stairs.
Overall a charming hotel ideally suited for young couples.

Room Tip: Insist on a room overlooking the cobbled street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Arunkk09
Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

Located at 1 block of the Tyn Cathedral you have everything at hand, the breakfast is good, they have a coffee shop very cozy and the crew is attentive. No amenities at all, and the drawback is the cleanliness the shower was not exactly at its best in my case.
Provide internet but -again- in my case it did not work in the room I had to go to the reception in order to catch some signal.
Take into account that it does not have an elevator.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I was very very pleasantly supprised by this hotel. It was very inexpensive for what you get. Me and my partner stayed on B&B basis for 5 nights and it worked out at about £35 per person per night.

For this we got a large bright, clean and airy room (Bedroom, living room, WC with sink and a connected downstairs sink and bath) and a minutes walk from the Old town square and astronomical clock! I could not believe all the space we got and that it was so close to all the main attractions. A complete bargin if you pay in cash for your room!

It is an old town house so there aren't any lifts so if you are in one of the upper floors be aware! We were on the first floor so the stairs were not a problem. Breakfast in the morning was very nice and I was pleasantly suprised as I did not think it would be included in the low room price I paid.

The staff were very polite and could not be more helpful, providing us with help and directions! This hotel massively beat my expecations I had reading reviews on here before I left for Prague! Thank you for a wonderful experience, I would definately stay here again!!! :D

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor, staricase C, which overlooked the inner courtyard. Not too many steps...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank appy1333
Reviewed 12 October 2012

If you are looking to be in the heart of Prague....and do not mind being in a clean but sparse hotel, then this is the place. We were in room 10. There is no elevator it was 4 flights of stairs.
We had three in our party. One stayed on a rollout bed they provided. the room was spacious, but had very little in it. The bathroom was fine, although one day we had no hot water. It was fixed in hours.
the breakfast was good and offerred from 7-10. Plenty of variety and plenty to eat.
If you are driving there, good luck. Finding it is a bear due to one way roads and pedistrian ways. Use a GPS. Parking is extra...25 euro per day. It was right outside the hotel on the street.
There are very few employees, so you will be on your own. They were not very helpful in regards to getting around the town.
I would stay here agin....mostly because the location is right on the square.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2012

If you are happy to stay in a very ordinary hotel in a brilliant location, this one is for you.
The room was very musty, with dirty carpet and a poorly functioning bathroom. The toilet was in a stare of disrepair and the room looked like it had been patched together with leftover furniture, linen that was well worn with holes in the pillowcases.It needs a jolly good paint and clean. Whilst I do require a hotel to be well situated, clean and comfortable, I do need it to be sufficiently welcoming for me to be able to spend a half an hour in the room catching my breath. I did not feel this way about the golden deer.
The courtyard area is charming.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was adequate.
If the Golden Deer underwent some much needed TLC I would stay there again, based on its location.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends