“Decent and central”

Ranked #262 of 650 Hotels in Prague
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Decent and central”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed here with my girlfriend over a long weekend. Very nice and big room, decent enough location (Prague is pretty small and navigable anyway). The breakfast buffet was okay and the service was good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Arendal, Norway
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. Receptionist's don't know how to behave with their guests. I have arrived to the hotel morning at 10:45 and check-in time was 14:00. I have been asked to wait till 14:00. The lady in the reception was not ready to provide room 10min before check-in time even though they have vacant room. She was giving the reason that room were under maintainance. Atleast they would have called and given room when the room is ready. I only went and asked room at 14:05.

There was a problem with shower. I went to reception and explained about the problem. They said they will fix soon. But they didn't fixed it.

Please search for another hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Kirankumar B
Iklin, Malta
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed for 5 nights at Hotel Tyl during our visit to Prague. During the first couple of days of our stay, it was quite hot there and so was our room. When we advised the receptionist, he said that the A/C was set to 16 degrees, but the room temperature was around 27 degrees. Because of this, we had to open the windows and it was quite noisy outside.

Other than that, the hotel is clean, centrally located (just 30 seconds away from the tram station), and the rooms are spacious.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Durbanville, South Africa
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and had a wonderful experience.Not as busy as the Old Town,but very close to tram and metro station.From here you can reach any landmark in Prague.It is also possible to walk to the Old Town(20 to 30 minutes).The staff were helpful and friendly and always willing to help with information.Breakfast was good with plenty variety.Wifi also good.We could not fault anything and can recommend this hotel .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bernard Sanet d
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed at Hotel Tyl for a short break and really enjoyed it.
Location was perfect for us – It is located in a small square with a fountain and weekday markets, just outside the centre of town, there are numerous other hotels, shops and plenty of cafés and restaurants in the area. There is a metro (I.P.Pavlova) and tram stop literally just round the corner, and it took us just 10 minutes to get to the old town square with all the touristy bits etc.

Hotel & room – the hotel open areas were very smart, and our room was of a reasonable standard, the furniture was all vintage which fitted in with the style of the hotel well. The bathroom was good, clean and tidy and everything was in good condition. However the beds were not really up to the standard I would expect from a four star hotel, they were a modern style bed and the springs were very squeaky and the mattress moved about a lot on the base. However we did sleep ok, so not all bad. Being British we do like a cup of tea, and although there are no facilities in the room, reception kindly provided us with a kettle, cups etc. so we felt at home. The aircon is centrally controlled by reception, which was not a problem, we just gave them a ring if we were too hot or cold and they adjusted it immediately. The free wifi worked perfectly in our room - 205. Even though technically the hotel does fulfil all the requirements of a four star rating, ‘personally’ I think it is a high quality 3 star which the prices reflect and I think it is extremely good value for what you get.

Spa – they have a small fitness room free for guests and a sauna at extra cost, and you can also get massages etc. We never got chance to use this though, as due to ‘our’ schedule the masseuse was fully booked when we were free which was not the hotels fault. And unfortunately the Whirlpool/Jacuzzi was out of action for our entire stay, which was a bit of a disappointment as my wife had quite fancied that, so she ended up using the facilities at another hotel.

Staff – Excellent, exceeded our expectations. We were welcomed by Viktor, who speaks excellent English and during our stay was very helpful whenever we needed information or anything sorting out, such a kettles, room changes, extra pillows etc. There was a little confusion on checkout, because we had already paid via a booking agent, but this was quickly sorted out by Elena who was also extremely helpful throughout our stay. I hope I have got their names right, because they made us feel so welcome in Prague

Meals – Breakfast was an adequate buffet style affair. It was nothing special compared to some 4 star hotels we have stayed in, but it was fine and set us up well for a day touring the city. There was the usual selection one expects – pastries, cold meats, fruit, toast, mini frankfurters, eggs etc. and something we had never some across before at breakfast: a selection of vegetables – which was an interesting change.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay, and I would have rated it 5 had it not been for the whirlpool being out of action and the squeaky beds.

Would we stay again – yes definitely

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pog62
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

My mum and I always go to city destinations together once, every year.
We are so glad we chose prague this year. One word. Amazing city. The people are so helpful, friendly and really make you feel at home in their city.
We stayed at the hotel 5th till 9th June. We had a fab time though I wouldn't have called the hotel services 4 star... I would say 100% to the amazing customer service that we got at reception. They where all lovely and so welcoming but, our room could have had a bit more. Ie there was no tea and bathroom amenities .. We all know us Brits love a good cuppa now and then. The jacuzzi wasn't working either which was a real shame as after the long walks around prague it's just what mum and I needed. The breakfast was fine. You had to get there earlier or everything would have been munched. The staff topped most things up but, it needed a few more things I think ie crossiants, fruit salad etc. Overall it was a lovely hotel and I would return again as the location is just amazing and a short walk away to the main shops, sightseeing destination too. Make sure you take sunscreen from now until end of summer it was 35 oc and very hot!!
The ballet was beautiful and something I'd definitely recommend.
Thanks hotel TYLER

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank VictoriaW1
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here Tuesday to Friday in May 2014.

Good:
Very central location.
Clean, large room.
Helpful, pleasant staff.
Free WIFI

Bad:
Few if any amenities - hotel couldn't provide more than the 2 coat hangers I had in my room.
Could provide the hotel clothes iron, but had no ironing board.
Mattress comprised of foam slabs (partially) covered with a mattress cover.
Bath had a shower head that had to be handheld (did have a wall mount, which was only a few inches above the taps - was designed as a bath, not a bath/shower combo.
Room didn't have functioning climate control; extremely hot, had to resort to leaving windows open, 2 floors above a busy tramway in a very central location which was extremely noisy, even at 4am mid-week (not hotel's fault - central a good thing, right?).
Painfully slow WIFI - on balance would have preferred to pay for faster.
Unlike previous Expedia-booked/pre-paid Prague hotels, found I had to pay additional room tax.

To be fair, I would say this hotel would be a good choice for a weekend break/stag trip. Less good for my business trip, and next time I will probably seek out a different hotel.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room overlooking the tramway if you want a peaceful night's sleep