“Great Location, Outstanding Service”
Review of Smetana Hotel

Smetana Hotel
Ranked #82 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed at the Mamaison PachTuv Palace for 2 nights and could not have been more pleased. We were welcomed by reception with a glass of champagne and that certainly set the tone for how the hotel treats its guests. This place is all about service and attention to detail.
As for the rooms, they are truly suites and all are unique; extremely large living room, large bedroom and seperate toilet from the bath (both tub and standing shower)

The service is what sets this place apart (one of our friends was sick and we needed a dr and that was arranged quickly by the hotel - AT MIDNIGHT!) I recomend also using the hotel car instead of using taxis with the potential of getting ripped off, our driver was punctual and prices were fair and consistent.

The hotel is right by Charles bridge with awesome views of prague castle and nearby old town and the astronomical clock.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Lucie D, General Manager at Smetana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for choosing Mamaison Suite Hotel Pachtuv Palace for your recent stay in Prague.

Our main aim has always been very proffessional but very personable service. I am so happy to hear your kind comments and will share them with the team. They are always pleased and motivated with positive reviews like yours.

We all will be looking forward to welcome you back at Pachtuv Palace soon,

With kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Smetana Hotel

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Find this hotel 200 m far from Charles Bridge with fantastic rooms with a nice view of Prague Castle. Very good restaurant Amade and very cosy garden inside.

A cultural and architectural Prague landmark in its own right, and with 50 richly decorated rooms and suites, the luxury Mamaison Suite Hotel Pachtuv Palace is the closest hotel to Charles Bridge in the centre of Prague. It offers excellent personal service and historic, romantic accommodation in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: Rooms in four categories, wide choice.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

thank you for your recent stay at Pachtuv Palace and also thank you for your positive review here on the tripadvisor.

I is always a pleasure to hear that our guests are happy with our hotel, the room and the services.

I will pass your comments to the team.

I hope to welcome you back soon

with kind regards,

Reviewed 23 January 2013

It's a perfect place to stay. Location brilliant. It's a warm and cosy hotel, I say this because we stayed in January, and it's winter in Prague and some of time it was snowing. So lovely coming back there, after a day sight seeing. We had a junior suite with the view,you pay extra for this, but it's the only way to go. How magic it was, entering the room and seeing through the windows the Castle and St. Vitus cathedral lit up, with the river in front. You could just kick off your shoes,put up your feet, open a bottle of wine and take in the view.The room had a little kitchen area, hidden away in a cupboard, with a fridge, a coffee machine and sink and a two burner hot plate. In the morning we would make our coffee and eat our croissants we had brought. Each day the Hotel provided your coffee ,sugar and milk, if you needed more it was sent up immediately. They had a turn down service in the evenings, with a little chocolate for you both. In the bathroom, the best heated towel rails of all time. Wash anything, it would be dry in half an hour. The linen was changed every second day, the towels daily. The limousine service was brilliant and cheap, and lastly yes, they do have room service and also a restaurant. Couldn't ask for more.

Room Tip: You have to have a room with a view. It's worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lily387

Dear Guest,

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for all your compliments and for choosing Mamaison Suite Hotel Pachtuv Palace for your recent stay in Prague.

Our main aim is to achieve very personable servis on the highest level and I am happy we were successful in our effort. I am glad you have enjoyed your room, complimentary coffe and tee service as well as a little chocolate for good night.

I appreciate you think so highly about our hotel and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

with kind regards to Australia,

Reviewed 21 January 2013

We chose this hotel because of the location which was as promised- extremely convenient to Charles Bridge and other Prague city locations- and fabulous views. Unfortunately, we did not get the complimentary upgrade that many folk enjoyed, but the view from the room that we paid to step up to was incomparable and worth the splurge. What was disappointing was the fact that the staff was nowhere near as helpful or pleasant as other previous reviewers had noted or experienced. In fact, our friend who was a local guide, remarked to us how rude and curt the reception staff had been to her. We observed the staff informing another guest that there where no tickets available for any concerts that weekend when we had just checked ouselves and found several venues open for which we eventually purchased tickets. Our room was spacious and well appointed but was so hot that we had sleep with all the windows open in January. Repeated requests to the staff for an adjustment in thermostat were met with promises but never any resolution. Perhaps they've had a recent change in staff because when we booked our room, we did engage with very friendly and helpful staff. Go figure!

Room Tip: If you are willing to pay a premium (or you are lucky enough to be deemed worthy by the staff for an...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Lucie D, General Manager at Smetana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Pachtuv Palace and for posting your review on the Tripadvisor.
I would like to deeply apologize that our hotel failed to meet your expectations. We aim to achieve the highest level of services for our guests and therefore we are very sorry to hear about the lack of attention provided from our side. I was not present to the situation you are describing so it is difficult to react on it. Our reception sells tickets to many places here in Prague and maybe the guests needed tickets for a different venue but that is only my assumption. Our staff members didn’t change for quite some time and we do have a stable team. I apologize you didn’t have a good experience.

I am happy to hear you have enjoyed your room and its beautiful views directly. If the occupancy allows we usually try to allocate the guests in upgraded room but unfortunately it is not always possible.

I know it will not change your experience but please know I really regret that you were disappointed with your stay. If you decide to come back to Prague and give us one more chance, I would like to offer you free upgrade to an executive suite with the view.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 21 January 2013

From the driver who picked us up at the airport to the reception staff and housekeeping, the service was very professional and welcoming. We were upgraded to a large suite with a balcony and a postcard view of the Vlatva River, Charles Bridge and Prague Castle. The fruit plate we had ordered for our arrival was generous and fresh. In addition, we had mentioned that we were celebrating our 25th anniversary, so they also sent a bottle of champagne and personal card. Very nice touch. Were surprised by nice mini-kitchen with kettle and coffee/tea service. Couldn't ask for better location. Within a ten minute walk of Charles Bridge, the Jewish Quarter and Old Town Square. Tram runs right in front of hotel. Restaurant is not bad if you don't feel like going out some night.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Lucie D, General Manager at Smetana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for taking your time to leave the comment for Mamaison Suite Hotel Pachtuv. I would also like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Prague.

I was pleased to read your compliments regarding our staff members and the room. I am glad we achieved your expectations.

We’re always happy when someone chooses to stay at our hotel. And we’re downright honored when you choose to spend a day as special as your Anniversary with us. The bottle of champagne was the least we could do.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at Pachtuv Palace soon,

with kind regards from Prague,

Reviewed 20 January 2013

For me, the best hotels are a combination of great location, style and comfort at a decent price (price, more subjective based on individual budgets). In my opinion, this hotel meets all these factors. When you step out the front door of the hotel, it's only a few steps to a view across the river and St. Vitus (spectacular at night), a short walk to the Charles Bridge and only a short walk to the Old Town Square, where you can connect with a lot of tour groups.

I had stayed several nights at the Pachtuv in a suite. The suite was sizeable, comfortable and classically furnished with a separate livingroom and bedroom.

I booked this as a package flight/hotel deal through Expedia, so I'm unsure how much of the price was exactly attributable to airfare (probably most) vs. the hotel. However, I think I also priced the hotel and flight separately, and the hotel rate was entirely reasonable for the location, room size and star rating. Prime tourist season, I'm not sure how pricey this/all properties in Prague get.

There's a restaurant connected to the property, Amade (decent), as well as a small sandwich shop down the street (quick sandwiches, very affordable), and not too far away from Lehka Hlava (a fabulous vegetarian restaurant). There are also a couple small convenience type stores down the street where you can get drinks, snacks, etc.

One caveat: On Saturday night, you could hear a lot of noise from the street. I'm not sure if this is an issue with all the rooms or just some (I think I may have read other reviews before I booked/went that mention street noise). I would imagine this is more of an issue during the height of tourist season. However, I think the location, style and price for this property outweigh the noise issue (which would also likely impact many other hotels in prime locations throughout the city).

Overall: I can only hope to find such great hotels in my future travels - I was extremely comfortable during my stay there, and would definitely stay at the Pachtuv again, as well as highly recommend the Pachtuv to other travelers.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sunnybird

Dear Guest,

thank you for your review and most importantly thank you for your recent stay at Mamaison Suite Hotel Pachtuv Palace.

I am happy our hotel and the entire team contributed to your enjoyable stay in Prague. Your warm words are very rewarding and I will definitely forward them amongst the team.

I apologize for the street noise but as you mentioned it is hard to have any impact on it. All of our rooms have double windows to eliminate the noise as much as possible.

I hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back at Pachtuv Palace soon. You can use our webpage for booking as well as contact our reservations department directly to get the best deals.

with kind regards,

Reviewed 17 January 2013

Our group had a total of 5 rooms over the course of 2 stays here. Each room was spacious with high ceilings and an old-world feeling. They were all very different and had their own special features as well. The rooms were comfortable and well appointed too.

The staff was very professional and helpful. The only trick to staying here was trying to make out way through a few wedding receptions in the courtyard.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone... solo, couples, business, and families. It was a perfect stay, and a great location - close to the Charles Bridge.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank avideno
Lucie D, General Manager at Smetana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2013

Dear Guest from Los Angeles,

thank you very much for sharing your positive comments on the Tripadvisor. Also thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Prague.

I very much appreciate your compliments regarding our team as well as the rooms. I apologize for the inconvenience with the weddings. Pachtuv Palace is occasionaly used as a place to wed and we always try to do our best in organisation so our guests are as little as possible affectted by it. It is dissapointing to hear your stay was influenced by it.

Thank you so much for recommending our hotel to other travellers. I hope to welcome you back at Pachtuv Palace soon!

With Kind regards,