“Great Place to stay”
Review of Smetana Hotel

Smetana Hotel
Ranked #83 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Charming place to stay. Large rooms and great location. Staff is friendly and helpful, Prices are excellent for what you get. Nice to stay in a place that is fitting with the local culture, rather than a stereotype hotel from one of the large hotel chains.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul C
Lucie D, General Manager at Smetana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Valued Guest from Chicago,

I would like to take the opportunity in thanking you for reviewing your recent stay at Pachtuv Palace Prague.

It was with great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially your room; the location, our staff members, and that you will retain a pleasant memory of our hotel. I will be more than happy to pass your valuable comments onto the team of Pachtuv Palace
Once again thank you for your time and I would be very pleased to welcome you back to the Pachtuv Palace again,

There are newer reviews for Smetana Hotel

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed here in the summer en route to viewing more of Europe. It is an old hotel which is comfortable but could be a little cleaner, the beds were OK and clean but it was a bit dusty in parts. We had a beautiful view of the Vlatava River which at the time was just recovering from the floods. The staff were all very nice and all spoke very good English. If you want a central hotel this is good. We did not eat there so I cannot comment on the food.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front the view is super.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ellearedee

Dear Valued Guest from London,

I would like to take the opportunity in thanking you for having chosen the Mamaison Suite Hotel Pachtuv Palace as your Prague destination stay.

We very appreciate that you submit the review on Tripadvisor, thus making a contribution to our on-going effort to improve the services of our hotel. In this respect all comments from our guests are helpful to us. I discussed your comments with the housekeeping manager and all the necessary measurements were taken to prevent similar complaints in the future. Please know, this is definitely not our standard and I am terribly sorry you experienced lack of attention from the housekeeping side during your stay.

I am happy you overall enjoyed your stay and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at Pachtuv Palace soon,

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I had pre-paid 3 nights stay at this hotel for my first trip to Prague. After arriving and starting the check-in process, the receptionist suddenly informed us that the hotel had a 'problem with water' and had to move us to their sister hotel Riverside which is over a mile away from this hotel and in an area highly inconvenient for tourists. If there really was a water issue why didn't the receptionist state that as soon as we showed up? Also why did another group of tourists check-in just before us? I can smell a scam. Since we had already pre-paid we pretty much had no recourse and had to go along with this plan. Be very wary of pre-paying your reservation with this hotel! I'm sure this hotel is fabulous but unfortunately I never got to experience it and I feel VERY cheated.

Room Tip: Do not pre-pay your reservation!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank PsyT
Lucie D, General Manager at Smetana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear Mrs. T,

I would like to deeply apologize for the issues with your stay at Pachtuv Palace.
At the day of your arrival we experienced a water issue in one wing of our hotel. The water emergency caused that several rooms were inhabitable. We did our best to remove the issue as soon as possible, but the cleaning afterwards took another few days. Therefore we were not able to accommodate you at our hotel and I am really sorry your stay was impacted by it. Since your reservation was for the deluxe suite and we didn’t have any available for that period, we were forced to transfer you to our sisters property. The group of guest you mentioned in your review had reservation for different category and since they were a group we were not able to split them and move only part of the group. I am sorry you got the feeling that we are being dishonest with you and making fake excuses. Please know, there is no reason to do so and we never like to relocate our guests for any reasons.

Your reservation was prepaid through the travel agency. In rare situations like this one we would definitely honor the refund if you decided to find a different hotel in closer location. Riverside hotel is located about 15 minutes walking distance from Pachtuv Palace, as we understood the location was the main reason why did you book our hotel, we offered you our hotel car complimentary transfer to the city centre and back on every day. To extend our apology we provided you the best riverside suite at our sister’s hotel with beautiful views, complimentary bottle of wine and also complimentary breakfast.

I am really sorry you were not happy with our hotel chain and awarded us with one star only. I wish we would have done more to make your stay more enjoyable. If you wish to discuss this issue further, please contact me anytime on my email ldagan at mamaison.com

Reviewed 3 October 2013

We recently stayed here for three nights as part of a Tauck tour. It truly is a palace. Our suite, which faced the river, had an enormous living room/parlor, a decent-sized bedroom and a large bathroom with first-class toiletries. Furnishings were high quality and there was even an old-school, honor system minibar.

We heard reports about our fellow travelers' quarters. Most were also highly positive but one couple griped about a small room and another said they had air conditioning problems. Now this is all hearsay as we did not visit any other rooms but might be true. The Palace is an old building and certainly was not built as a modern, cookie cutter property. We found its uniqueness and eccentricities to be charming, others might react differently.

The whole place has an air of understated grace and elegance; no staff in morning coats or standing on risers behind the reception desk. In fact, there is no reception desk. Being part of a tour, we were greeted with sparking wine in the courtyard and shown individually to our rooms; I don't know if non-tour arrivals get such treatment.

The concierge service was very helpful—they provided good information and advice, obtained tickets, and even arranged for the hotel driver to pick us up after a concert (for a fee, of course, but worth it compared to finding a taxi or walking home late at night in a strange city.)

The restaurant is so-so. The breakfast spread was adequate and our single dinner there was OK but they appeared understaffed for handling our group although they must have known we were coming.

This hotel is not cheap but worth it to make your visit to Prague extra special.

Room Tip: Try to get a river view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank WhiteWolfCA

Dear Valued Guest from Kensington,

It was with great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially your room, the hotel in general, our staff members, and that you will retain a pleasant memory of our hotel. I will be more than happy to pass your valuable comments onto the team of Pachtuv Palace. I will discuss your issues during the dinner with the Restaurant manager to avoid similar complains in the future. I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I travelled to Prague with family last April during Easter to this hotel, but did not write view about it. this hotel provide life time experience to me and my family so I think I owe them this review.
upon arrival, hotel staff find we have 2 young kids so it might be not comfortable to stay in smaller room, they kindly upgrade us to their room at the back of the hotel which like a castle, over 300 SQM and got 3 bed rooms. the room are very comfortable and each room got TV and guests name was upload to the TV to welcome you. as we are staying top level of the building, there are roof windows where we can see though, electrical blind to open and close the roof window.
Breakfast is excellent and European style, chief got really good cooking skills.
Hotel face the river, close to anywhere you want to go, all by walking distance. we did not spend a cent on transport there.
the hotel staff are very helpful and provide 24 hours assistant. Good Friday they provide a small game to find Easter eggs and my kids are so exciting running around the garden. Daily small gift from hotel are very thoughtful and all personal care products are L'Occitane product.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank willseeyouthere

Dear Valued Guest from Perth,

I would like to take the opportunity in thanking you for choosing the Mamaison Suite Hotel Pachtuv Palace as your Prague destination stay.

We very appreciate that you have reviewed our hotel here on the Tripadvisor, thus making a contribution to our on-going effort to improve the services of our hotel.

It was with great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially your room, our staff members and the hotel breakfast, and that you will retain a pleasant memory of our hotel. I will be more than happy to pass your valuable comments onto the team of Pachtuv Palace.
Once again thank you for your time and I would be very pleased to welcome you and your family back to the Pachtuv Palace again,

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I read reviews on many hotels before I choose Mamaison Pachtuv Palace & I was very happy with my choice. The hotel is centrally located but off the beaten path that it is quiet. You can easily walk to most sights, metro, or places to catch the tram. There are plenty of good restaurant & coffee shops right by the hotel (including School). We had a suite with an beautiful view of the river & the castle. The hotel was an old residence so it isn't like a traditional hotel but that adds to the charm. We actually had to take an elevator, then walk outside to get to our room. The living area of the suite was very big but the bedroom and bathroom were somewhat small. The twin bed was not the most comfortable bed. The tub/shower was off the bedroom but the toilet was off the hall. There is a nice courtyard but it rained most of the time so we couldn't use it. The hotel staff was very nice & the hotel pick up was very convenient.

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank lymac2400

Dear Valued Guest from Tarrytown,

I would like to take this opportunity and thank you for sharing your review about your recent stay at Pachtuv Palace with other travellers in the Tripadvisor community.

We are happy that our hotel met your expectations and you enjoyed your stay, especially the location, view from your suite and our staff members. I will gladly pass your feedback onto the team.

I hope to welcome you back at Pachtuv Palace when your future plans bring you back to Prague,

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Just like a Holiday Inn. Bare bones everything. Great location but not a stitch of "luxury" as claimed. Not 1 person even in the restaurant! No duvet on bed. Truly basic. Would never recommend this to anyone I know.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Molly k M

Dear Valued Guest, Dear Molly,

I was very concerned to read your review about your recent visit of Pachtuv Palace.
We were very sorry to learn that some aspects of the quality of the hotel did not meet the usual standards of Pachtuv Palace. I am confused about your comment regarding the missing duvet. We do provide duvets in every room and have several spare ones in case the guests require it. I wish you could more specify this issue, please feel free to contact me anytime.

The team of Pachtuv Palace will do its best to improve on the quality in the future. We are sorry that we could not satisfy all your expectations this time and very much hope that we will have the opportunity to provide you with better service during your next stay.

We shall be very pleased to welcome you to the Hotel Pachtuv Palace again.