“Excellent, but...”

Ranked #13 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Moscow
“Excellent, but...”
Reviewed 19 December 2007

Magnificent and very beautiful hotel. I have nothing to carp. Except for one - it isn't spirit of Prague from windows (1 floor especially). And for me the view from a window, giving feeling of a city is an essential detail. But it is visible only licked lane and the small square on which there is an American embassy. From safety reasons each car which is approaching on hotel is subjected to examination.

• Stayed May 2007
1 Thank Aion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
York
Reviewed 18 December 2007

This was our first time in Prague and we were bowled over. I'm sure it is beautiful all year round, but at Christmas it is a real life fairy tale.

The Alchymist is a fantastic hotel.

The reception/doorstaff are excellent.

Facilities are amazing, the Spa is stunning.

Rooms lovely and very clean.

The only slight negative is that the cooked breakfast had been standing for a while keeping warm and this spoilt the quality, although I must add that the croissants were wonderful.

We also dined at the restaurant, which was pricey (£100 for 2), but we enjoyed its relaxed feel and the food was good.

I would recommend the Alchymist and we would revisit. The location is amazing, perfectly placed and quiet. It looks incredible inside and out and we left feeling very relaxed.

• Liked — The atmosphere is posh but relaxed
  • Disliked — The breakfast had been stewing for a while and was not at it's best
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 18 December 2007

We visitied Prague for the first time for 5 days in December '07 and stayed here the entire time.

We found the hotel staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. We didn't get breakfast included in our stay but in restrospect wish we had because we paid for it one morning and it was delicious.

The whole building is a converted palace and there is a lot of detail work on the interior as well as the exterior of the building.

My wife loved the bed she felt like a princess sleeping in it. We also used their small workout facility and their free internet access quite a bit during our stay.

We would definitely consider staying here again if we go back.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank bbr11
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 17 December 2007

I stayed in Alchymist Grand Hotel&Spa from 09.12.07 to 14.12.07 and I can say it's probably the best place you can find in Prague, if you can afford a pricey stay of course. In fact there isn't much to tell as the photos of the hotel tell enough, you'll feel like a prince/princess of 1500's. I booked my stay online and got a nice price as it was low season, just before christmas and there was a promotion including breakfast for a very tiny price. Still, it was one of the most expensive options I had for Prague but it's possible to say that I arranged the stay for a relatively 'understandable' amount.

My first impressions before the vacation were already good as Czech consulate in Istanbul isn't making the life easier for Turks when providing visas. The hotel helped me very fast every time via e-mail when I had to provide different kinds of vouchers to the consulate. I also choosed the transport option of the hotel (from and to airport).

When I landed in Prague, the driver was waiting with an umbrella for us as it was raining and he was very polite all the way telling us about the hotel and the city. The greeting at Alchymist was even better. A receptionist took care of us just as we entered through the doorand very quickly we settled in our room. The hotel's decoration doesn't need to be told, as it can be seen quality is pouring from every piece. But the most important thing is the atmosphere of Alchymist. It's like the hotel is injecting seratonine to it's guests. You just can't get yourself from being happy there.

I can't say we had a large room, nor a great view but the very pretty and luxurious equipment accompanied with the atmosphere I can't resist of telling in every occasion, make it a unique experience to stay in Alchymist.

Hotel staff is very polite and educated. They just track you and jump for your help even before asking for it. They also provide you every possible service during your visit. As a Turk, I'm used to 'extremely warm' approach in hotels, restaurants etc. of my country and I can't say I found same 'family-like treatment' but after seeing the average Czech people (in fact all non-mediterranean Europeans) I can easily say they're trying their best in this too. I'm not saying ours is the best approach as sometimes when exagerated it can be even annoying but that's what we like and this is just the culture difference. The staff deserve very high marks like the hotel for their will to help, knowledge and zero-error-tolerance.

The place of the hotel is also unbeatable, 5 min. walk to famous Charles Bridge and walking distance to nearly all touristic attractions in the old city. Best thing is that, being close to all action, it's far from noise. Like a separated jewel in it's own case.

Breakfast was excellent with plenty of options and delicious taste. As we don't eat pork, I didn't try much the meated meals but the rest was just perfect. I can say the same about dinner. Aquarius restaurant, apart from being pricey, is a magnificient option for a calm and romantic dining.

As for their Spa... You get far better massage compared to your every day spa but I have seen better and it's strange as it's just below the standards Alchymist set itself: Best of the best! My complain would be the music playing during the massage. Why listening to an American pop song when relaxing with a Far Eastearn treatment? There could also be better scents in the room. Anyway, the women know their job and it's probably better than 75% of the hotels around. I can easily say that it isn't too pricey for a hotel like Alchymist.

To sum up, it's hard for me to find words about Alchymist. Main trick of Alchmyist is it's atmosphere which can't be told but have to be lived. "It's the most magical and exclusive place in Prague" told us the driver of a 'big and known' hotel in the city, and he's right. If you have enough money, Alchymist is the place to stay with your special one. Only bad side is that it's raising the standards so high that it will be difficult to be satisfied with another hotel somewhere else in the future...

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing is below 'good' at Alchymist
3 Thank TheTurk80
Alchymist, General Manager at Alchymist Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 December 2007
I want to express my sincere gratitude for all the guests who are willing to take the time to share their Alchymist experience with us! Of course, I am even more happy when I read a review like this one, full of enthusiasm and appreciation. Thanks so much to this gentle and generous guest!
The vast majority of reviewers find our hotel satisfactory and nice. But, like everyone human, on occasion, we may fall short of our promises. It has appear recently to be the case with few guests. I am really thankful to them, and feel committed to try hard to solve the problems they may have indicated.
Thanks everybody for understanding. I promise you we are trying our best!... Veronika Choteborska - General Manager

London
Reviewed 9 December 2007

I booked the Alchymist as a surprise for my partner. The website looked amazing and was very excited.

Overall this is a nice hotel, although there are a few little problems which in my opinion would suggest that its not a 5 star. My first issue is that on arrival we were kindly upgraded to a lovely junior suite which was a beautiful room with lovely towels and dressing gowns etc. The next day we returned from a day looking around the city to find that the towels had been replaced by smaller and less luxurious towels - a minor point but annoying all the same,

Another minor issue is that water is provided in the room but was not replaced during our stay which one would expect in a 5* hotel!

The breakfasts are amazing and would certainly recommend having breakfast included! The bar in the evening is quite nice although for Prague prices very expensive!

Finally i need to mention that on arrival we went to the spa to book a few treatment s- they couldn't fit us in until 2 days later which was quite frustrating... Nevertheless I had a massage and my partner was in another room and he also had a back massage .. to my horror when we came out he said he had been offered a few "additionals" which certainly wouldn't be legal in London and quite frankly horrified me anyway but even more so was the fact that they knew i was in the next door room!

Would i recommend this hotel? Probably not - the area is great but the hotel just didn't cut the mustard!

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Spa treatment!
8 Thank holidaylover9995
Alchymist, General Manager at Alchymist Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 December 2007
Allow me to tell you that I am greatly offended and frustrated by the guest review. Guests have the obvious right to complain about everything they desire, and we sincerely appreciate any comments of our guests, even if sometime - Thanks God, non very often! - they may point their finger on our possible lacks. It is a precious way to be aware of our shortcomings so that we may try to fix them and strive to provide a better service. But here we are talking about the integrity and the morality of our hotel!.. And this is, frankly speaking, unacceptable.
I would like to point out that our spa is highly visited both by many occasional hotel clients - as guests know very well since they were complaining that it was almost fully booked all the time - and also by many V.I.P. guests from the city, whose respectability and reputation are out of question. Our spa is opened since two years, employing only professional therapists coming from one of the most prestigious and serious school in Indonesia. It never happened to us to hear about practices that my decency even refuses to mention!
I hoped that this embarrassing argument was already over the day when the partner of this complaining guest came to our reception to apologize about the astonishing complains and explained that they had some private arguments which culminated and led to this unpleasant situation. Please help us with your welcome comments to get better and provide a better service to our esteemed guests, but refrain from doubting and offending the uprightness and honesty of our employees, pretending to interpret what your fantasies may induce you to do. Respectfully Yours, Veronika Choteborska-General Manager

Ireland
Reviewed 5 December 2007

Hotel is on a quiet street in Mala Strana. Mala strana is my favourite area of Prague to stay in. Close to Charles Bridge, the Castle and walking distance from the Old town.

The entrance to the hotel is beautiful with a pretty but very expensive coffee shop just as you enter followed by a lovely courtyard nicely lit up at night.

Reception was very welcoming and friendly. The room we booked (a junior suite) wasn't available so we were given an “upgrade” to a room with a terrace which we didn't want as the weather certainly didn't suit sitting on a terrace.

We do not like rooms where the ceiling feels like it is about to fall on top of you and that is what we got. The room was not worth the price we paid and we would not stay in this hotel again because of the room we were given which wasn’t what we had booked.

The hotel communal areas are very beautiful, a nice bar and seating area. Each evening a wine tasting is held. Unfortunately we were informed (by letter) that the wine tasting was 17:30 to 18:30 but it actually finished at 18:00. While this is a lovely touch getting the time right for guests is as important as holding a wine tasting.

The spa is beautiful and to be recommended as is the pool although small.

• Liked — Beautiful Communal Areas
  • Disliked — Bedroom
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rangzen
Alchymist, General Manager at Alchymist Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 December 2007
Its very disturbing to hear that one of our romantic rooms did not match with the taste of the client. The information that Junior suite was not available is not correct… The room was a Junior suite as was originally booked but with a terrace that is highly appreciated during long summer with lot of beautifull flowers and quite area of inner gardens that surrounds it.
November, yes its not the time of the year when I would expect someone will enjoy it. Of course this room with the attic roof falling down can be a jackpot for the ones who likes it and the minus for the the others. (that exactly happened in this case) As a responsible person who run this place I am more then sure that if this message would come to me I would try to solve it immediately if there was any other suite available, because thats our job and that is a pure hospitality.
About our so successfull Wine and Cheese and the time change, I have to say that these clients just arrived the day when in the welcome letter was stated the old time (and W@CH was held from 17:30-18:30) durign the stay of these clients the time was changed.This information was communicated to our guests on the promotional flyers in the rooms and the ones that are available in our common areas. If we would change the time in the welcomming letters prior the change then our guests could complain the other way arround.
Wellesley, MA
Reviewed 30 November 2007

I took my wife there as a surprise and she loved it. The staff is friendly, the rooms are very comfortable, and the location excellent. The morning coffee and buffet was a great start of each day. We had a great time there.

• Liked — It was a boutique hotel and a bit different and charming
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple