“Amazing stay!”

Ranked #14 of 672 Hotels in Prague
North east
“Amazing stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

We spent 4 nights in this hotel and could not recommend it highly enough to anyone visiting Prague. It is near enough to all of the main attractions of Prague city but quiet at night. We felt very well looked after by all staff and could not fault the quality and variety of food at breakfast and evening meals. Also the extra touches of free wine and cheese tasting and complimentary chocolates were very welcome! We must not forget the cleanliness of our room and the overall hotel and spa.

Room Tip: 206 - nice size
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NortheastMrsb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
St. Helena, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

I have to state that our time at this hotel was lovely with the exception of one horrifying incident. The hotel went out of its way to provide a level of hospitality that makes me feel it deserves the rating I gave it. However, the horrifying incident must be disclosed and an explanation provided as to why we didn't speak to management. First, when we arrived, we were treated very nicely by the staff. Although we were super tired from the overnight flight, we understood that a part of their welcome was to offer our group undivided attention. We waited 15 minutes to speak with the front desk as someone else was there checking in. Not a problem...we were given a glass of sparkling wine. When it was our turn, the front desk attendant spent approximately 30 minutes providing information about the hotel and the city. Because we were super tired, it was a pretty rough ordeal. Ideally, I would have rather been escorted to my room, taken a little nap & freshened up, and then come down for a glass of sparkling wine & given information. However, I appreciate the hotel's hospitality and being told about the massage appointments booking up quickly. I booked an appointment and received a massage and a facial. Although I do not feel that the services I received were the best or the most relaxing, I understand that everyone has different preferences and my expectations just weren't met. However, the four other people with whom I traveled received services, and they were all satisfied with their spa experience. We all loved and took advantage of the wine and light appetizers served in the lobby in the evening. Be sure to be prompt about the time because when it ends, the staff definitely swoops in and whisks the items away. A few of us in our party used the fitness facilities and felt they were suffice, even though it was a small area. We stayed in the junior suite and were impressed with the amount of space. The room was nice and clean, although the air conditioning struggled a little to keep up. Although WIFI was free, it was super-slow and we found that we received better reception when we were in the bathroom. The WIFI in the lobby was terrible. When we asked for food suggestions, we were greeted with enthusiasm and helpfulness. We told the staff that we wanted to eat somewhere that served the locals, but quite informal. We ended up at a pretty expensive restaurant, but I think there might have been some miscommunication. Regardless, I was happy with their concierge service because they seemed very genuine in wanting to provide us with a great experience. The chocolates in the gift shop at this hotel were the best chocolates we had on the entire trip, including eating lots of chocolate in Vienna, Austria. We wished we had purchased the chocolates as souvenir gifts! We enjoyed our breakfast every day (with the exception of one day)…the buffet was always filled and there was plenty of selection. I do wish the wait staff had been more attentive about refilling our coffee, but we were able to go up to the urn ourselves to refill (although the staff would then rush over to us to tell us that they would do it). We noticed at breakfast that there were a lot of different people from all over the world staying at the hotel and that their choice of dress for the dining room varied as a result. I will go as far to state that I even noticed that the one day there was a couple (probably American) who dined for breakfast in their gym clothes. Although their gym outfits were of nice quality and I certainly couldn't have cared less what they were wearing, apparently there were some guests who had an issue with their attire. It is a nice breakfast dining room, and I guess at this hotel (and perhaps throughout Europe), it should be understood what clothing is deemed acceptable. I know that in the United States, you could show up for breakfast in your gym clothes (or some even more questionable outfits, such as I have seen….i.e. hotel bathrobes, clothes from the night before, bathing suit with a pair of shorts, etc) in a nice hotel restaurant, and no one would blink an eye. But again, I would like to emphasize that we fully understand and respect that we are guests in a hotel in another country, and that certain attire for breakfast is required. On the day in question (which also happened to be the day after the couple in the gym attire dined for breakfast), my sister had just finished working out at the gym and wanted to let me know that she was going to shower quickly and join us for breakfast (may I add that her clothing was very nice pair of leggings and jacket). I was already seated in the dining room with other guests in our party, but my sister could see us through the breakfast room since we were seated at the middle table in the first dining room. As she went to enter the room, one of the breakfast hostesses stopped her before she could enter the breakfast room. She told her that she was not allowed to eat breakfast in her attire. My sister explained to her that she just wanted to let me know that she was coming to breakfast shortly (she didn't have an international phone capable of texting me). She allowed her to proceed; however, the hostess at the actual hostess stand asked her what room she was in (because she assumed she was eating breakfast and clearly did not have an issue with her attire). My sister began to tell her the room number because it seemed like the proper thing to do: to answer a question when someone asks you it. At that point, the other hostess who had stopped her immediately hurried up to her and started to berate and embarrass her. This is the first time I realized that my sister was there because I heard the hostess yelling at her. In fact, people in the other part of the dining room (the furthest point from the breakfast room where the food was located) could hear the hostess yelling because we all thought it might have been some sort of emergency. The rudeness with which she verbally assaulted my sister was unacceptable, and from our standpoint, completely horrifying to witness. She accused my sister of trying to lie to her, so that she could come into breakfast in her workout outfit. She yelled at my sister in a manner that I had never seen anyone do, moreover a member of a hotel staff. My sister was completely embarrassed and shaken up. As soon as I realized it wasn't an emergency and that my sister was actually getting schooled by the hostess, I ran out there and followed my clearly distraught sister to see what had happened. She told me through her tears what the hostess had done to her (although we had all witnessed it ourselves anyway). I told her to calm down and get showered/dressed and come back down, so that we can speak to the manager. She told me that she would take care of it. I would like to add that my sister is extremely non-confrontational (unlike me), so I wasn't sure what she meant by "take care of it." When she came back down to the dining room, she interacted with the rude hostess and then came to sit with us. She was too upset to eat. I asked her what had happened. She said she was even more upset because when she came down, she was approaching the hostess (who had her back to my sister) and she could hear the hostess talking to a guest and basically trashing my sister. My sister approached her and told her that she did not appreciate how the hostess spoke to her and that her tone of voice and the things that she said to my sister were unacceptable. At first the hostess tried to defend herself, but when she sensed that my sister would speak to the manager, she then apologized. Once my sister sat down at the table, the hostess sent over chocolates as a peace offering. This was a huge deal to my sister to confront the hostess, so when I told her I wanted to speak to the manager about this woman's behavior, my sister asked that I didn't. She said that the chocolates did not make up for what occurred, but that she didn't want the rest of her vacation ruined by this one incident. This is what I would like for the hotel to understand: that we didn't want anything free from the ordeal, that we didn't want the manager to think our whole stay at the hotel had been ruined, and most importantly, that we didn't want to ruin a woman's career over it either. Yes, her behavior was unacceptable, but our vacation fun was more important. Also, one staff member's bad behavior did not come anywhere close to outweighing how lovely the rest of the staff treated our party. This is why we did not speak to the manager. But I wanted to write about this incident because I did feel that it should have never occurred. On a final note, I must disclose that I was pretty steamed about the whole incident. Not just the fact that my sister was berated by a staff member, but because at the same time, there was a woman in the dining room with her dog, who (the dog) was allowed to walk all over the dining room, jump up and down on the chairs, and walk into the breakfast room. If the hotel staff feels that strongly against gym attire in the dining room, then I certainly think a dog walking around the dining room unrestrained should be taken into consideration of things to ban as well.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
13 Thank sleepyplants
Alchymist, Manager at Alchymist Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear Tripadvisor community.
Our mission is to provide superlative accommodations and service, and we pride ourselves in being able to proactively attend to all of our guests’ needs.
We will not comment on this review since it would validate information that is not (or was not) part of our hotel’s reality, at least in the recent past of our property.
We wish to assure the entire Tripadvisor Community that we very much welcome criticism. While we hope it is limited, we believe criticism is vital in assisting us to ascertain where problems may lie and where we can focus on improvements.
But while subjective opinions can certainly vary, a certain amount of objectiveness and fact based information is needed to construct upon.
On a last note, we strongly reject the remarks made about American style and dressing habits. These remarks certainly do not reflect the reality of our American guests and friends. We find it disappointing that in a multicultural environment judgement and simplifications of this type are still made.
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

the hotel made our stay in prague. very near to almost all the important locations which should be visited. Quiet neighbourhood. outsdanding service...clean... friendly staff... they make you feel like home

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rita A
Sale, Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

Wonderful, from the minute we left the airport in the hotel car with a glass of champagne ,arriving at the hotel to be met by the warmest of welcomes .The room was beautiful and spotlessly clean as was every where in the hotel. We walked every day except for the one it rained and the hotel arranged a car tour of Prague which was well worth the money. The lady told us so much about the history and we got to places you would never get round to on your own. Every time we went into the hotel there was someone , usually Stan ( Fantastic guy) to open the door welcome us back and see if we needed anything. Have a hot chocolate in the small cafe they are 3 million calories but pure luxury chocolate.
Every single person there made our stay wonderful. Do not miss this hotel if you visit Prague it is the essence and part of the atmosphere of Prague , elegant and stunning. Thank you all for a memorable stay, Stan we will be back don't forget to arrange for us to see the vintage cars when we come next time !!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BijanSale_Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

This hotel is perfectly situated for a short break to Prague. The service is consistently good, helpful staff, good breakfasts and standard of food. The spa is an excellent addition to the facilities - a welcome break from the cold outside! The room (junior suite) was a decent size and well serviced. The staff were extremely helpful, particularly the concierge services.

Room Tip: we stayed in a junior suite on the 1st floor. The bathroom and room was a decent size, good shower...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

I had such a pleasant stay at the Alchymist Grand Hotel.

Excellent service from an attentive staff, good food and beautiful comfortable room all make it so special.

I would highly recommend the Alchymist as a first class experience and THE place to stay in Prague.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Italia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

I came back after about 18 months, always perfect in every way!!!
The food is always excellent, the rooms are perfect, clean e very silent, staff were helpful, welcoming environment, excellent Spa
Absolutely must try,