“Good value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #517 of 670 Hotels in Prague
Bagneux, France
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

We stayed in the family room on the top floor for 3 days. It was a really good deal because of the really cheap price, the free parking (most of the hotels in the city do not have parkings) and the tramway in front of the hotel. It was really easy to go into town and come back. The breakfast is ok, and the room was clean. The owners are charming and very helpful. The only downside is that sometimes the smell of fried food invades the upper floors.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Flo1986

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
bexykitten
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2008

My Boyfriend and I stayed in the U Hvezdy Hotel while on a short trip to Prague April 2007.
I booked the Hotel through travelsupermarket.com and the two of us stayed for 3 nights for just £50 each!
The Hotel was clean quiet, breakfast was a little disappointing it comprised roughly of cold meats cheeses, Jams, bread, meat pastes, cereals and UHT milk, but to be quite honest no breakfast I have had abroad has ever blown me away. There was nothing wrong with the breakfast just quite basic, but then Prague is an Ex communist country which I think maybe the reason for some of the strange food and drink on offer, E.g. pure orange juice diluted.
The room we were given was of a large size with a clean ensuite toilet and shower facility.
Prague is quite cold at night so we were pleased to find extra Linen's in the wardrobe, the room also had a TV offering many channels.
The staff were friendly but could not speak English apart from one lady who worked mornings & could speak just a little.
The journey from the hotel to the main town was about 15 - 20 minutes on the tram, the stop is situated just outside the Hotel.
Personally I enjoyed the tram journey as I felt it gave me a better idea and view of the country I saw things that most tourists wouldn't like Suburbs, Czech shops etc.
Across from our hotel and just up the Rd was a nice little restaurant/bar, we never ate there but went in for a drink a couple of times.
On the first night we were there we went to the restaurant and met two lovely Czech men who asked us if we would like join them and go on to another bar, we went along and ended up in this surreal bar with a mini casino, bowling alley, bar & the largest duke box selection you have ever heard, none of the staff there spoke English or the customers for that matter.
We had 3 drinks each 12 songs on the duke box and 20 cigarettes all this was put on to the bill even if you ask for change for the duke box they just take money out of the till give it you then add what you have been given to the bill, when I converted the total cost to GBP I couldn't believe it, we had spent £11.68 all night!!
I am not saying that every where is that cheap in the main town we paid between $1.50 - £3.00 a drink and the way you pay etc isn't like the bar in the suburbs, but if you are on a budget, go where the locals go as you will save a fortune!

Overall I loved Prague and would go back to the same Hotel again and again.
Beware of taxi drivers though, agree a price before you get in!!

• Liked — Clean value for money
  • Disliked — none of the other guests or staff spoke English
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bexykitten
Prague
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2006

When we booked this hotel we were under the impression it was very close to the main prague attractions. Little did we know that we were slap bang in the middle of a residential area which was quite run down to say the least. Abandoned buildings left to rot and vandalism everywhere. The hotel itself is very clean and sticks out like a sore thumb from its very poor surroundings. The room we were give was right next to the reception on the lower floor which we at first thought was very convenient until 3.00 am in the morning when we were awoken by the 24 hour reception doorbell (you have to leave your key with reception when you go out). This then carried on until about 7.00 am with the last revellers returning from their night out. This plus the noise of the traffic and trams outside did not make for a good nights sleep! Also be warned to travel into old town square is a good 30 minutes travel on the tram (make sure you get tram 22) and try and get the tram back as the taxi drivers will try and charge you 600 to 800 ck to travel back (which is over £15.00!). All in all it is a clean hotel and some where to get your head down for the night but I would advise you look somewhere closer to Praha 1 (this hotel is Praha 6).

• Liked — the cost was reasonable
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JHomer

Travellers are raving about these Prague hotels

Leicester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2006

When I decided to book this hotel, there was no review on this site and as I find these helpful myself, I hope this will be of use to another traveller.
This hotel has a very impressive website and rates itself three star, however I do not think lives up to either.
Although the rooms are fine – clean; reasonable bathroom – I found that during my stay the towels were changed daily and the room serviced, but it was not actually cleaned. The bathroom floor was dirty on occasion. In my room the shower holder was broken and the sink had no plug. Despite asking for this to be looked at, it was not fixed during my five night stay. When the temperature dropped the heating did not come on automatically and again I had to ask about this. One night I had a positive response, the other I didn’t.
The hotel is located near a tram line and has direct access to the Castle – and stops near the Strahov Monastry and Loreto. However the time taken to the centre is not ten minutes but twenty. Added to this the proximity to the main road and these links means it is very noisy – constantly.
One of my greatest disappointments was the breakfast and the food as a whole. The former was repetitive and bland – cornflakes and UHT milk, with bread and cheese/jam. In addition to this I thought it would be advantageous to have a hotel with a supposedly good restaurant, in case there was any evening I could not eat out. It wasn’t until the last evening that I decided to eat in the hotel. First of all I had a time restriction, as the hotel, on certain nights without notice, had large parties for folkdancing etc. This meant that the restaurant closed early. On the night I had to eat, it closed at seven. Although I ordered before that, I was still eating after seven and the waitress was far from pleased. The food was anything but Vietnamese. It was a complete letdown.
The reception staff were on the whole positive and helpful.

9 Thank nash100