“Excellent hotel, great position and service”

Hotel Hastal Prague Old Town
Ranked #56 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 8 February 2011

We have just arrived home in the UK after a couple of nights in this hotel.

We were so delighted with the service that we wanted to pass our experience onto others.

We were very warmly greeted by receptionist Tom when we arrived, and delighted to hear that we had been given a room upgrade, and, that, despite arriving at noon, we were allowed to go straight to our room, which was particularly welcome as we were rather tired after our journey. Tom was particularly helpful throughout the day, providing advice about where to go,and what to see, He also recommended an excellent adjacent restaurant , Kolkouna. In general the staff are very friendly and enthusiastic.

Our room (43) was excellent, a very generous size, beautifully furnished and clean with a view over the square to the river. We found the hotel to be situated in an excellent position in the old town, less than10 mins walk from the main square, yet very quiet. and in a lovely square itself. The room had free wifi, and one english language TV channel, CNN. The choice for the included breakfast was good, literally a room full of food, including bubbly to drink, for those seeking alcohol at 8am! Only criticism - the orange juice was rather diluted and poor - mix it with the bubbly.

On our second evening we had an excellent meal in the hotel restaurant, we were the only customers, but ate excellent food which was very reasonably priced.

Overall, in our experience a very well run smallish family hotel, with excellent staff and large, clean rooms. Superb position, quiet yet close to the centre.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NeilfromHampshire
Write a ReviewReviews (1,265)

Reviewed 28 January 2011

We booked the Hastal mainly on the strength of reviews we had read. We wanted a decent standard, fairly priced hotel in easy reach of the main places of interest. The Hastal ticked all these boxes and we really enjoyed our stay.

The hotel arranged for a taxi to collect us from Prague airport, and it was there as promised - even though it was snowing heavily, late at night, and our flight had been delayed by over an hour.

We were greeted at the hotel by a receptionist who was very keen to please and made us very welcome. (The complimentary drink on arrival was appreciated.)

The hotel exterior is charming and just what you would think an historic Prague building should look like. The interior too is full of charm and history. Maybe the carpets and some of the interior décor could be touched up but that is a minor point.

We opted for a comfort room which was a good size, nice bathroom, big comfortable bed, plus a super view of Hastal Square through the triple-glazed windows which kept out all the noise - and cold. The room was very clean and well maintained by the chamber staff. We felt we had really good value for money. Once or twice we got back to our room cold, wet and windswept after a lot of sightseeing, I think our only suggestion to the hotel would be to have tea & coffee making facility in the rooms so weary guests can relax with a hot drink.

The hotel is very well situated and is only a few minutes walk from the river; the Old Town Square; Charles Bridge; and many other central attractions. Even the castle was easily walkable. The hotel is in a quiet neighbourhood where we felt totally safe walking at night. There are also several decent bars and restaurant within a few hundred yards.

The buffet breakfast offered a selection of fruit, juices, yoghurt, cereals/milk, cold cooked meats, cheeses, eggs, sausage, breads, tea/coffee… In the evening the breakfast room becomes a small comfortable bar / restaurant at fair prices.

The hotel receptionists were excellent - always extremely courteous and efficient. (On our final day we heard that our UK airport was closed due to snow. Immediately the receptionist loaned us a laptop so we could check our options. This was very valuable to us.)

We enjoyed our stay in a cold and snowy Prague and it was made all the more enjoyable by having the Hastal as our base.

We would certainly come back to the Hastal and would certainly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GandE2011
Reviewed 28 January 2011

Great little hotel, made to feel very welcome. The staff were exceptional in ensuring my stay was acceptable. I even left my credit card while checking out and while on route to the airport the staff contacted the cab driver to inform me and then they arranged another cab to follow us and drop the card off to me at the airport - all of which was without request and just off their own initiative - you dont get that level of service at a Marriot !

Big thankyou

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I was expecting much more given the previous reviews. This is a good little tourist class hotel, and whilst I wasn't expecting the Ritz for the price, I was expecting something that went some way to reflecting a 4* star rating. My room had 2 sky-lights in the ceiling, but no other window - so no views of Prague for me! The windows and the blinds were operated mechanically by switches on the wall. Given this was one of the hottest hotels I have ever stayed in, I opened the windows, only to be woken in the middle of the night by the mechanical action magically operating by itself and the windows closed - it frightened the life out of me! The rooms are very basic, with a small old TV placed on the one flat surface - so impossible to do any work for a business traveller. The duvet cover was well-worn with a hole in it and the towels were thin & threadbare. One tiny drawer underneath the table and 2 even smaller ones in the bedside cabinets - wouldn't want to be staying for more than a couple of nights with so little storage. The toiletries provided - and remember this is 4* - is 2 bars of soap. That's it. As a very frequent traveller, I know with the "bed bug" epidemic to always put my case straight onto the luggage rack or in the bath. Well, no luggage rack, and just a shower.
Had this hotel been rated as a 2* - or at a push a 3* then all these issues would have been acceptable, but it's purporting to be something it's not, which is a shame, because it was very clean, and the staff were exceptionally, polite, friendly and helpful. For a 2* hotel it would be pretty good value for money.
The "restaurant" is a small bar with wooden tables & chairs. The food was quite acceptable. It's quite well placed, just a few minutes to the Old Town Square.
If you are looking for friendly and basic accommodation on a short trip to the City this would fit the bill.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ladybird17
Reviewed 12 January 2011

The Hotel Hastal - centrally located in the Jewish Area of the Old town. within five minutes walk from the Old Town Square. Every attraction is within walking distance.
The hotel staff are attentive and efficient.
We booked a superior room and were given the honeymoon suite... a lovely surprise. The trip was booked to celebrate my partners birthday, and we were surprised by a complimentary bottle of Merlot (My Partners favourite wine) on the desk in the room with a Birthday greeting for my parner. A lovely touch!
The room was spacious and the bathroom clean. Lots of space for clothes and and also a safe to store valuables. There is lift access to all floors.
Breakfast was average, as Brits we missed our bacon sarnies and a decent cup of Earl Grey.
The location is perfect to the attractions that Prague has to offer. Places to eat out are abound. We must recomemd the Chagal's Restaraunt and Bar just two streets away for that special meal, at a really down to earth price. The snail soup is a must!
The Prague people are friendly, and most talk good English. (It's a pity we don't speak other peoples languages when they come visit the UK). We both felt safe walking around the city.

Likes and dislikes:
Likes: Clean, efficient, Lovely view, Roomy.
Dislikes: Bed a bit firm and we could hear the people showering in the next room, wouldn't have minded that much, but it was 3 in the morning.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Davydonks
Reviewed 29 December 2010

My friends and I were looking for a hotel in the centre, close to all the Christmas markets. This hotel was in our top three. After reading other reviews we decided to stay in Hastal.
Rooms were nice, clean, light and ready when we arrived. Service was friendly, breakfast was available early enough and run till late for my friends who like to sleep longer.
Overall, an excellent choice - glad to go back there next December for another shopping trip.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bcwilson
Reviewed 24 December 2010

The hotel was in a great location, very close to the Christmas markets and a short walk to the St. Charles Bridge. There is a lot to see but we didn't make it every where so I can't tell about the distance to other major sites. There was a bar in the hotel which was nice and great prices. There was a pretty good selection for breakfast and the food was pretty good. Our room was a nice size especially for Europe area/surrounding areas. The room was clean the decor was fine but not really important to me. The cleanliness is much more important. The shower didn't drain great and there was an unpleasant odor that came from the toilet. As long as the lid remained closed the smell was okay. It was nice to have free internet and the parking was 20euros and available right outside the hotel.
When I booked the room on-line the price was so good that I e-mailed the hotel to confirm that the price was right (it was only showing the rate for one night of parking). The hotel confirmed that rate however when we checked out they charged us more. It wouldn't have been a big deal if I hadn't prior confirmed the price. Unfortunately my husband checked out and didn't realize that a different rate was told to me (I had the e-mail to confirm to so it was frustrating.) My sister and her husband ended up getting charged more than the rate when they book on-line. There was no reason for that to happen and again my sister realized it after we had all checked out and where on the road. So just take note when checking out to make sure you pay the price you thought you owed.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple