“Grand Hotel Praha”

Ranked #124 of 672 Hotels in Prague
Kabul
“Grand Hotel Praha”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

In December 2011, I stayed at the Grand Hotel Praha in Prague, Czech Republic for the second time. It is located near the Astronomical Clock at the Square...a very good location. I like to stay at the rear because I like it quiet. The staff is great. I will definitely stay there again on my next trip to Prague.

Room Tip: Rooms in the second building in the rear are the quietest.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
GrandhotelPrahaLenka, Manager at Grand Hotel Praha, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Dear Donald,

thank you for your great review which just made my day!:)
I am truly happy, that you have enjoyed your stay with us in Grand hotel Praha and I will be looking forward to your next stay with us in the near future!

Lenka Kotalikova

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wroclaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

We had a very pleasant stay. The staff was friendly, polite and always helpful with all the requests we had. The hotel is carefully decorated and furnished in an old style with real antique things in the cafe and the reception. The cuisine was delicious (they make they own cookies and ice cream). The location couldn't be better (just opposite the Astronomical clock). The only disadvantage, which we found to be unpleasant was the smoking allowed in the cafe.

1 Thank tdracz
To whom this might concern,

thank you for your lovely respond to our accommodation and I was very happy to read, that you have had a lovely stay with us!
Regards the smoking Cafe, it is hopefully going to change in Prague some time soon and I apologize for that!

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

This is an excellent hotel in the perfect location! When checking in we were warmly greeted by the staff and shown to a spectacular room which boasted a view of the stunning astronomical clock (well worth a see if you are in Prague!)
The quality of service was superb throughout our stay and right up to our departure, whereby when waiting for our taxi to arrive we were offered complimetnary refreshments.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of staying in Prague!

Room Tip: Go for a room with a view of the astronomical clock
Truro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

My mother and I booked to stay at the Grand Hotel Praha for their 3 night advent break. The service was brilliant and the the architecture and antique atmosphere made the stay feel authentic. The position, opposite the astronomic clock is a perfect base to explore Prague's Christmas markets. The food was good, breakfast being a particular hi-light.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Harriet,

thank you for your great respond to our accommodation and I am happy to read, that you have had a lovely stay with us over the Christmas holidays and hopefully will stay with us again in the near future!

Crossmolina, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

This is my first review on this site and I will be as fair to the hotel as possible but please read this .
My wife and I stayed in the Grand hotel from 8 -11 Dec 2011 and i have to say it was the most stressfull check in we have ever experienced .
We booked the hotel through Alpharooms and everything was fine , we got all our confirmations from Alpharooms so we were good to go .
I decided to book an airport transfer through the hotel just to make contact and ensure the hotel knew we were coming .There were no problems, the hotel e mailed me back to confirm the transfer .
When we landed at the airport as expected there was a guy standing in arrivals with a sheet with my name on it , he brought us to old town square where a concierge from the hotel was there to meet us , we were impressed with the service and the big christmas tree in the square set the mood for a lovely relaxing stress free break .
When we arrived at the hotel a friendly girl named eva greeted us and then she told us she had good and bad news for us " my heart sunk " .
She explained there was a computer error and basically the hotel was full , she told us that she had reserved an apartment in a 4 star hotel at the back of the Grand hotel .
I'm a pretty fair person so I consoled my wife and told her we would give it a try but before I left I asked the receptionist was the hotel booked out for the whole weekend and she replied "yes we are fully booked " .
The concierge helped us with our bags to the new ( Dum ,u stare pani )hotel or should I say Hostel , we had one look at the hotel bedroom and I have seen better prison cells , at this stage we decided to go back to the grand hotel so the receptionist rang the grand hotel for us and I explained we were not happy with the room and we were returning .
I rang alpha rooms then and told them our problem , the guy on the phone told me he would ring me back in a few minuets . Basically as we were walking back to the hotel he rang me and told me that the problem was sorted and sure enough when we arrived our key cards were ready for us .
The girl apologised for the mix up and told us they were sending an other couple to the other hotel .
I smelled a rat with this so I got a friend of mine to e mail the hotel looking for accomodation for the 9 10 11 Dec and the hotel got back to him and told him they had vacancies and they gave him a list room options and prices .
The hotel paid for our airport transfers for the mix up and offered to treat us to a meal in the hotel restaurant which we did not avail of .
The reason i wrote this review is because I noticed a similar review on trip advisor about this hotel and that locals believe it is the done thing here .
Please if you are booking this hotel CONFIRM CONFIRM CONFIRM your booking .
Now I said I would be fair to the hotel .
Cleanliness 10/10
Breakfast 10/10
Location , The best in prague
Room 219 worst room in the hotel I believe very very small and alot of noise from the back alley.
I hope this will be of help to somebody .

Room Tip: The hotel is in a very busy square so bring ear plugs . Rooms a the front I would imagine have the b...
8 Thank rageman
Dear Rageman,

thank you for your review.
I have already replay to your respond to our accommodation on our hotel web sites, but anyway would love to respond to this one as well if I may.,
Let me start by saying that Ones again I am awfully sorry about all the inconvenience that you had to put up with while checking in to our hotel, but on our behalf, there was truly a computer error and Eva was right and she truly had to pick up another couple to go stay in the other hotel instead of you and that was not a problem for her at all, as we were more than happy to help you feel as comfortable as possible.
However, your friends did write to us a request for accommodation, but this request was for different period, that the one, you were staying with us, so our hotel was not fully booked at their requested period, so truly, you can not say that you smell a rat, because there was nothing untrue about that whole situation.

Ones again I apologize from all of us!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed in this Hotel and found it very accommodating. The staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms clean and tidy. If you want peace and quite during the night you may want to bring some ear plugs!! As the old square is noisy at night! But a fab place to visit and the hotel is ideally situated. Merry Christmas.

• Stayed December 2011
Dear Jack,

thank you for your respond to our accommodation and I am happy to read, that you have had a lovely stay with us in Grand hotel Praha.
I am sorry about the noise from the Old Town Square, but apart from double glaze window's, that we have in every room, there is nothing we can really do about it!:)

Ones again, thank you for your review and hopefully, we will have the great pleasure to accommodate you with us again in the near future!
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

we stayed at this hotel for a 2 night xmas break and having been to Prague twice before we picked it for its location. We were not disappointed, the location is perfect right in the Old Town Square opposite the astronomical clock, where the biggest of Pragues xmas markets is. The hotel is easy to get to from the airport, 119 bus to metro line A then 3 stops on metro and 3 minute walk, total journey 30 mins, easy and cheap (approx 90p) The room was fine, (not the best view but we didnt intend to spend to much time in the room looking out of the window), large bed, good bathroom, minbar etc, everything you needed. The breakfast ( 1st floor overlooking the astronomical clock) was very good, great selection of hot and cold goodies to set you on your way round the xmas markets. Would definitely recommend and would not stay in any other hotel but the Grang Hotel Praha.

Room Tip: all rooms are good, forget about views.
1 Thank FrankandChristine76
Dear Frank and Christine,

thank you for your fantastic respond to our accommodation, that just made my day and as you stated in your review, I do hope, that we will have the great pleasure to accommodate you with us again in the near future!