Grand Hotel Praha
Rott Hotel(Prague)
Cerny Slon(Prague)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsastronomical clockcafe mozartpresidential suiteold town squaresecond buildingperfect locationmain buildingno elevatordouble windowsantique furniturethe hotel staffchristmas marketoverlooking the squarefirst floorbeautiful roomflights of stairsattic room
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Really a pleasant change from the unending rolecall of hiltons, plazas etc. it is a quirky old place on 3 old houses in the old town square but absolutely modern refurbishment. Staff are first class and even by Czech standards very friendly. We were there the week before Christmas - boy was it festive. Huge Christmas tree and market in the square. Gluhwein and children's carols - the lot. Room (deluxe) was well insulated and very quiet. Will definitely return . Thank you!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
KahuPrague, Manager at Grand Hotel Praha, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Sir/Madama,

thank you very much for your great respond to our accommodation and I am glad to read, that you have got, what we are trying to provide for our guests here and that is home away from home :) so yuy for you!!!
I do hope, that we will have the great pleasure to accommodate you wit us again in the near future!

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Ok, my wife and I travel a lot (we are blessed and we know it)…we have been to 15 counties and over 70 cities in the last 2 years or so while living in Europe, we stay at all sorts of places high and low level. Went here for the Thanksgiving weekend. Did lots of research as my wife has a medical condition which makes stairs an obstacle. We even contacted the hotel and were confirmed into the Presidential Suite which looks directly at the clock on the main square…which it did…you can’t see the Main Square unless you were to climb out the window but the clock was directly across from this room…so why am I writing…because (as another reviewer warned) when we got there, having paid in advance, we were told that we could NOT have the room we paid for and they offered 2 alternatives one in a different building all stairs and a non-suite on a lower floor…we asked “Why we can’t have the room we booked, paid in advance for and contacted and confirmed…” the very nice front desk staff told us the manager told them so. Not “it is in maintenance” or some such…after a few moments they offered a dinner at their restaurant (only after my Wife asked) to make it better…yea that did not make it better as the cost of these room was VERY different we asked to be left alone…after a few more minutes the very nice front desk girl said we could have the Presidential suite after all…I asked if she had spoken to her manager…she said no, but we were taken to the room after 30 minutes of the staff trying to convince us to take the bait and switch alternative…there are simply to many great options in Prague to bother with this kind of place…The Hotel was otherwise a nice 2 star hotel…no hotel Bar (ok, they have one but block it off from midafternoon for the rest of the night as it is co-located with dining room where they have small musical events…still on the Street for a drink). Nothing special about this place and clearly appears to try to bait and switch its upper level rooms (BTW the Presidential Suite was just ok, The House Keeping was FANTASTIC…super clean even put a little Christmas Tree in our room A+ to the housekeeping Staff)….won’t stay there again…will go back Prague…Great City.

Room Tip: Go someplace else
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeeTheW0rld2013
KahuPrague, Manager at Grand Hotel Praha, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your respond to our accommodation.
I am very sorry to read, that you have had a bad experiance staying with us, but let me just explain our side of the matter, thank you!
I am not to sure, why you have stated, that you can not see directly at th Old Town Square, let me just assure you, that this is impossible, as our adress is Staromestske Namesti so our hotel is situated directly opposite the Astronomical Clock, with the Square directly on the right side, yes, you can not have both of the historic sights directly infront of you, but you can most definitely see Old Town Square from the Presidential Apartment!
I would like to apologize about the restaurant, which has got their own manager, however I am sure, that no one will attract you in to our Cafe and then do not have what they attract you on in the first place, that is definitely not what we are doing here in Grand hotel Praha and I stand by it!!!
Ovr all you have stated that our hotel stuff and rooms were just fine so I am glad to read, that and let me assure you, that with such a bad review you are totaly distroying our reputation, which is very important for all of us here!

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel with my wife for a five night visit at the start of November. Excellent location. Strongly recommend booking a room that looks out onto the square. May be a little noisy if you wish to keep windows open at night but being in the centre of the old city is well worth any inconvenience. Booked direct with the hotel via the website. Very good response to enquiries by email or phone. Package included one way transfer from the airport which was very efficient. On arrival near the hotel, we were met at the car by a hotel porter for the short walk across the square to the hotel. Can't complain about the taxi not being allowed to drive right up to the hotel as this keeps traffic out of the square. Lovely big old fashioned room (deluxe) which could have benefitted from a couple of easy chairs but furnishings matched the ethos of the building. Very large, comfortable bed. Modern bathroom with no plumbing problems. High standard of cleanliness. No tea / coffee in rooms but no problem as we took small travel kettle and made our own drinks. No difficulties with electricity connections. Lovely breakfasts in the Mozart restaurant looking out over the square. Staff extremely polite and helpful throughout, particularly with assistance in using local transport to get around and out of the city. We thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
KahuPrague, Manager at Grand Hotel Praha, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for such a long and amazing respond to our accommodation, that just made our work worth is!!! Thank you!!!

We do hope, that we will have the great pleasure to accommodate you with us again in the near future!

Reviewed 14 November 2013

As my stay here was my first time in Prague, the location was amazing. You can walk to almost anywhere or ask the staff to call you a taxi and be less than 10 minutes from almost any tourist activity. The elevator was working while I was there so I didn't run into the trouble of having to carry my luggage up stairs as some of the other reviews have mentioned, which is good since I was on the third floor. Downsides are that the building itself is very old and thus the electrical outlets are very finicky. My mother accompanied me on the trip and we flipped the breaker at least five time trying to figure out which devices the electricity would allow us to use. The rooms are also laid out awkwardly, so it takes a some time to adjust to your living space. Otherwise, the staff is very helpful, patient and efficient and the antique atmosphere added to the overall Old World feel to make our trip very exciting and enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your respond to our accommodation!
I am glad to read, that over all you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you have adjust to our living area after little while! :)

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I've been in this hotel with my wife to celebrate the anniversary of our marriage. The hotel offers a special and convenient package for this event wich includes a dinner with music in the Mozart Cafe.
The hotel is in a strategic position, in the hart of the city in front of the Clock Tower.
Out of the main door you are immediately in the atmosphere of the city and its beauties.
Roomsare confortable, service is good, personnel is very professional, food is good.
I reccomend this hotel for a long weekend vacation.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your lovely respond to our accommodation and I am glad to read, that you have enjoyed your stay with us on such a special event :)