“Disappointing!”

Ranked #121 of 670 Hotels in Prague
Sydney, Australia
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This hotel came highly recommended and we were disappointed. In theory the position directly opposite and only metres away from the famous astronomical clock in the Old Town Square, seems fantastic. However, in reality, this means one can only access the hotel with luggage on foot and thousands of tourists mill around the entrance day and night. Service and amenities were minimal, considering this is a 4 star hotel. Public relations were abysmal; the reception staff can do nothing without the manager's ok and the manager is conveniently nowhere to be found.

Room Tip: If you require quiet request a room without a view at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Michael J
KahuPrague, Manager at Grand Hotel Praha, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your respond to our accommodation.
But I do not agree with most of your comments, first of all I am on hand 24/7 in my office or after hours on my cell to assist all our guests needs and also to help our reception stuff if needed, though out your stay I was in my office on the first floor and no one did ask my assistance. So I am not quit sure, why you have stated in your review, that manager was nowhere to be found.
Also the path to get to our hotel from the taxi stand is only 50m away, so it is not such a long way to walk and we have got our porter to assist you with your suitcasses, and as you could see for yourself, there is truly no where to park other then on Male Namesti or ¨Parizska street, which you can actualy see from the hotel window's. Yes, I agree that the Old Town Square itself is a really busy part of Prague, but I would think, that our guests are aware of the fact, that if they are accommodated in the heart of Prague, directly opposite Asronomical Clock, that it is going to be turisty!
You have also stated in yur review, that our service and amenities were minimal, I have to point out our previous reviews, almost all of them speak very highly of our services! Our reception stuff is ready to assist you 24/7 and I myself check on them all the time, so I disagree with your opinion!
In the end of my respond to your review, I would just like to point out, that you have reserved our Deluxe room, with the views of the Old Town Squre, but you were unhappy with this room, as it was to noisy, our reception stuff has moved you to a superior room, which is in the back of our hotel. You have then ask for discount due to the fact, that you were in a lower class room and I did not offer you this discount, only because this was your choice and Deluxe room was then bloked for other guests to reserved this room, which is our top acommodation.

We do take our work in Grand hotel Praha very seriously and we love all our guests and try to provide for them home away from home here in Prague, so it just makes me sad to read such a disappointing respond to our accommodation, as we put so much time and love to it.

Your sincerely,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My husband and I spent a week in the Presidential Suite at Grand Hotel Praha from December 14-20th. It was a magnificent experience on every level, beginning with being met promptly at the airport by our driver and by the bellman immediately upon arrival in Old Town despite the late hour. The view of the Astronomical Clock and Old Town Square was spectacular, room service was fast, delicious and courteous and the concierge was extremely helpful. The Baroque music concert dinner in the Mozart Café on our last night was delightful and a highlight of the trip. We explored the Christmas markets and so much of Prague on foot and returned to enjoy the sauna in the suite--a life saver for old bones. The Presidential Suite is my favorite hotel room of all time. We would never stay anywhere else in Prague. Thank you for making our anniversary trip wonderful!

1 Thank tsc3919
KahuPrague, Manager at Grand Hotel Praha, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Sir/Madama,

You have just made my day, and if you do not mind, I have place your respond to our accommodation on our FB page as it was such an amazing review!!! thank you and We will look forward to have you stay with us again!

Lenka Kotalikova
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Ok, firstly, 4 stars for one reason only - lack of tea/coffee facilities in the room, which for a Grand Deluxe room we would have expected, in fact any room at the GHP considering the cost.

I digress...

As the title says, a great central lication. Room was great, staff were friendly, breakfast was tasty... location was great....

Worth every penny.....shame about lack of tea/coffee making facility in the room (I know....I repeated myself) :-)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark L
KahuPrague, Manager at Grand Hotel Praha, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Mark,

thank you for your respond to our accommodation and I am glad to read that over all you have enjoyed your stay with us. I would also like to explain, that the resond why we do not have tea or coffee facility is because of a fire hazard, due to these lows we are not allowed to place tea/coffee facilitties in any of our rooms, but we do have a reception stuff there for you 24/7 ready to assist you with anything + bring you tea r coffee any time throug out day or night.

I would also like to wish you all the best in the New Year 2014 and we will look forward to hopefully have the great pleasure and accommodate you with us again in the near future!
Lenka Kotalikova
North West
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Had a previous look at this hotel earlier in the year when having coffee in their beautiful cafe overlooking the astronomical clock. On planning a Christmas market visit decided to give the hotel itself a try - a great decision.
The location is fantastic right in the square opposite the clock - easy walking distance to just about everywhere in central Prague and the metro. The hotel is old world classic with a subtle efficiency and style now difficult to find. A room at the back is quiet and completely isolated from any square noise. The restaurant for breakfast is first class - again with an early view of the astronomical clock! and their excellent day long cafe cakes and snacks are always on hand. Occasionally used by those in the know, but despite it's position and quality on both our summer and winter visits there were never too many people. Their weekly music nightime concert (classical and jazz alternate) provide a great evening on the spot. Overall a rare central city find in a beautiful capital

Room Tip: The back (courtyard view) have really no view but are quiet. All the views you want from the cafe/re...
Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for such an amazing respond to our accommodation, it was the best New Year read for me personaly :))) You have just made my day :) So thank you and I will look forward to have the great pleasure and accommodate you with us again in the near future!

I would also like to wish you all the best in the New Year 2014!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We loved staying at Grand Hotel Praha! The location is perfect, we could walk almost everywhere. The staff was exemplary. They never tired of giving us directions, recommendations, etc..Our room was charming, quiet, clean and had a wonderful big bathroom. Breakfast was delicious and we loved being able to look out at the Old Town Square. We have already recommended this hotel to our friends who are traveling to Prague next year.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your great respond to our acommodation and thank you for recommending our hotel to your friends and family!!!

I would also like to wish you all the best in the New Year 2014 and hopefully we will have the great pleasure and accommodate you with us again this year!
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

I, and two friends, are just back from the most wonderful five days' stay in this wonderful little hotel. I booked directly from Scotland, and was extremely impressed by Jana who responded to all my emails/ phone calls patiently and promptly. She even managed to get concert tickets for us despite their being unavailable on the internet! We were met at the airport by our driver, a charming and erudite man who pointed out many places of interest en route. When minutes away from Old Town Square he phoned the hotel to alert the bell boy who was waiting for us as we parked. As has been said, the Grand Hotel has what MUST be the very best location in Prague, and the Christmas market outside was magical. The Christmas tree defies description, save to say it was magnificent. We explored the city every day - on foot, and none of us "spring chickens"! Not once did we need to use taxis or public transport. All staff members were unfailingly helpful and friendly at all times. The highlight of our stay was the musical dinner eventing the Cafe Mozart on the first floor.....beautiful music, delicious food and stunning views. We really cannot praise this hotel too highly, and we are all looking forward to returning.
Dekuji moc, Grand Hotel!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your great respond to our acommodation and thank you for maken my day :) I will pass your respond to Jana as well.

Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 18 December 2013

If you looking for a place with it closeness to the old marked place and and a place to feel looked after and comfort this is the hotel to look for. Rooms and service is fantastic so is the people working here. We were here when they lit the lovely Christmas tree and yes this is place to be with your love ones at this time of the year

Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your lovely respond to our accommodation!!!
It is such a great pleasure to read reviews like yours and we do apreciated it!!!