“Be careful!!!!”

Hotel Residence Green Lobster
Ranked #215 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 2 July 2007

I stayed at the Hotel Green Lobster during June of last year after returning from the FIFA World Cup matches in Germany. As they were a new hotel and not quite full I decided to give them a try. The room at 43 Nerudova Street was excellent - spacious, well decorated and air-conditioned.

After another trip to Prague this June, I decided to visit them again. I am afraid that their success has gone to their head. Upon checking in, I was notified that I would be placed not in the main hotel, where I stayed last year, but rather in an annex next door. Needless to say I was not amused as the standards of this new annex hardly met that of the main building. Most importantly it was not air conditioned. The weather in June was approaching 32 degrees centigrade making this totally unacceptable. When I spoke to the general manager about this he seemed quite unconcerned. His attitude was if you don't like where we assigned you, then pay me an extra 80 euros and perhaps I will upgrade your room. Considering that the room thru booking.com was 90 euros per night this was unacceptable. When I explained to him that I did not know of their "new annex" with the much lower standards, he said "too bad." The general manager also indicated that he would never have sold a room in the main building for 90 euros a night, ironic when upon checking my e-mail confirmation from June 2006 I noticed that I paid only 70 euros for a room in that very building. I proceeded to walk down the hill to an internet cafe where I found a last minute deal at the new Eurostars Thalia on Nardoni for 95 euros. Considering that Thalia is a brand new five star five star I was quite pleased. I also, learned while surfing the web that I could have booked an upgraded room at the Hotel Green Lobster on the same travel site for a 25 euro premium, as opposed to the 80 euros that the general manager demanded.

Be careful with the Hotel Green Lobster. Their original building is just fine; however their new addition across the street is not in the same class and their attitude towards returning customers leaves everything to be desired.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
9  Thank kovarst

Reviewed 27 June 2007

We had a four night stay in April 2007 in the Mozart room. A four poster bed, 2 rooms and sizeable bathroom all for £300. Having travelled to Prague four times i have now worked out the castle side of Charles bridge is definitely the place to stay.Yes this hotel is a fair way up Nerudova but at least there is an incentive to walk that bit further and appreciate the late night view from the castle over Prague. Breakfast is par with everywhere else i have been but the room was head and shoulders above all the others.Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ramsfan68
Reviewed 7 May 2007

I booked the Hotel Green Lobster for my boyfriends birthday and we stayed there for 3 nights in April. There are a lot of lovely looking hotels in Prague and I booked this specifically because all the pictures on the website looked large enough to be suites, and looked to be finished to a very high standard - When we went to check in however, we were led accross the street and in to another building opposite! Dont get me wrong - the room was ok, but it was like a totally different hotel - We didnt even get to eat in the lovely breakfast room as featured on the hotels website as we had to eat in the not as nice breakfast rom that was in the basement of our building.

Dont get me wrong - had I just booked this hotel without seeing pictures, I would have been fine, it was just seeing all the pictures of the grand suites and heariung the excellent reviews - it was just a bit of a dissapointment to be led accross the street in to a different building.

Therefore if you book, i dont know if it is possible but ask to be put in the bit of the original hotel!!

Last but not least - i would not book this hotel if you have walking difficulties as it is on the steep hill on the way up to the castle

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank slg1_uk
Reviewed 20 March 2007

My wife and I stayed here on our wedding anniversary and we were both really pleased with it. It a lovely small hotel (only 6 rooms I think) which look like it's just been refurbished to quite a high standard. The room we had was lovely - just like the photographs on the web site. The morning breakfast was good and the staff were really helpful. It's in a really good location right next to the castle (this means it is on a hill and although not steep is may be a bit much for someone with walking problems). I rate it as one of the best hotels I've stayed in and my wife did as well. Strongly recommended and great value for money.

• Stayed: March 2007
13  Thank mgibbons
Reviewed 2 March 2007

Hello to all Tripadvisor members. I've been at Hotel Green Lobster in february and I have a great stay there. Prague is such a beautiful city, and it was very nice to find an hotel who also breeds the same aesthetic enviroment. We could easely feel ancient context wich gives the hotel (and Prague) that romantic appeal. The persons working at the hotel were very nice and we even get free transport from the airport to the hotel at [---]. A hotel and a city I want to return for sure.
Regards

Stayed: February 2007
10  Thank TomKerry
Reviewed 14 February 2007

We stayed at the Green Lobster for 5 nights staying in the "Arcimboldo" suite on the first floor.

This suite is split level with a very comfortable large double bed on the mezzanine which enjoys a sloping ceiling and exposed wooden beams making the bedroom area cosy. The mezzanine itself is accessed via a tight and steep staircase therefore if your mobility is restricted this is something to consider. But overall this aspect adds an extra dimesion to the ambience of the accomodation.

In contrast the airy lounge area has a very ornate decorated ceiling with exposed wooden beams, and a small adjoining kitchinette with fridge but strangely with no cutlery or cooking equipment - but no problem as ample eating and drinking options are available in close vicinity on Nerudova street.

A slight negative were the views from the lounge and bedroom being somewhat limited, overlooking an interior courtyard only with no view of the surrounding rooftops or Petrin Hill.

Overall, the cleanliness in the hotel was faultless, our bathroom was spotlessly clean every day, with fresh towels provided. There is a good quality hairdryer provided in the bathroom, and the hotel provides an iron for pressing clothes - although no ironing board when we stayed ("just use the table" - they said) !

Breakfast was simple, but the adage of "less is more" rang true. Good quality pastries cold meat and cheese were served with coffee or tea in the comfortable restaurant that adjoins the hotel.

Hotel location is brilliant for exploring both the castle, the maze of streets in the Mala Strana and Petrin Hill and its surrounds (although the latter is a good 20 minute up hill hike). There are numerous bars, restaurants and coffee shops on the Nerudova street on which the hotel is situate to suit all budgets.

For the price, comfort and decor this hotel is brilliant value for money and its location is slap bang in the picturesque Mala Strana.

Top tip : Flat screen TV with numerous channels not normally available in the UK made for curious late night viewing.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Tones100
Reviewed 2 February 2007

We had a wonderful time at the Green Lobster. Pre arrival correspondance was excellent and they emailed me several times to answer my queries and confirm my booking. They even arranged the transfers for us and what a very nice car it was too, my hubby was very impressed. The room was stunning, spacious and immaculatley clean, and the bed was by far the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The bathroom was also very nice with fluffy towels and toiletries provided, there was only a bath with a shower tap in our room, but that didnt bother me and it was nice to relax in and made a nice change. Location of the hotel was also very convenient, a few minutes up the hill to the castle and 10 mins down to Charles bridge so great for seeing the sights. The breakfast was more than adequate with choice of cereals, pastries fruit , cheeses, cold meats and a few hot items as well. More than you'd expect for a 6 room hotel. I wouldnt say staff were particularly forthcoming or friendly but polite never the less. We had a great time and would not hesitate in reccommending it to others.

Stayed: January 2007