“Perfect location, great room”
Review of Hotel Modra Ruze

Hotel Modra Ruze
Ranked #251 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 23 January 2013

My 12-year old son and I stayed here between Christmas and New Year. I had written ahead to ask for a room on an upper level with views, and when we arrived, we were offered 601, the deluxe room in the tower, at no extra cost. Once I talked myself out of worrying about what would happen if a fire swept into the tower, I loved the room. It was super spacious, with fantastic views in four directions, and the jacuzzi in the lovely, bright bathroom was a treat. the lobby isn't much, but it was nice being able to order drinks in the bar and take them up to the room. Breakfasts were great, with something for everyone-- different kinds of bread, cold cuts, eggs, sausages, baked beans, cheeses, yogurts, fruit, vegetables, and even cookies. the hotel was very clean, and the location was perfect -- a really short walk to Old Town and the Charles Bridge, as well as Wensales Square, Ocebnu dum (sp?), the Jewish Quarter, etc. We walked everywhere, including all around the Mala Strana and castle. The folks at the desk were super helpful too, and the few issues I had were resolved quickly and nicely. I recommend using their transportation service for long rides, like to the train station. I had modest expectations based on some reviews I'd read, but was pleasantly surprised by everything. Would definitely stay there again, asking for the tower room.

Room Tip: 601 for the tower, if you're fearless and have no problem with stairs.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 January 2013

I spent 5 nights at the Hotel Modra Ruze. It is a well located property and seemed to be a skip hop and a jump from everyplace a tourist wants to be. As mentioned in other reviews the hotel lobby was small but it served its' purpose--it is a lobby!

My room was small but since it was only used for sleeping I really didn't care. The bathroom was immaculate. The shower stall had clear glass and housekeeping cleaned it daily. I did see rooms of others and there are some very large and beautiful rooms. I guess these would be more costly.

The hotel provides breakfast but, as I was traveling with a group that provided us with our own food to meet our dietary requirements. I did stick my head into the general breakfast room and could see both hot food and salad.

The front desk was helpful. I accidentally reserved concert tickets for the wrong day, Tatiana was able to contact the venue and arrange for me to receive a refund less a small service charge. It should be noted I had made these reservations myself using the computer. Other desk personnel quickly and accurately marked up a map to help me find the tram. Some in my group used the desk to make reservations. No one had problems.

Near the front desk is a computer for guest use. The first time I used the computer the keyboard was Czech. The front desk helped me locate the keys that were not in standard position and get signed on. Subsequent use showed the keyboard had been switched to standard English ( the keyboard stayed the same but what happened when you pressed a given key was different) The entire hotel has free wi-fi so those with smart phones were happy,

Generally speaking the hotel was an excellent choice.

But, there was one problem that kept me from giving a 5 star rating. It is one that seems to waif through the reviews. Prague is a city of smokers. The hotel advertises itself as non-smoking. One morning as I headed to my friend's room I smelled heavy cigarette smoke on her floor. I was horrified to realize it was 3 members of the house-keeping staff smoking outside their storage area around 10 feet ( 3 meters) from her room. This smoke ended up with her having an asthma attack. Staff smoking in halls in unconscionable. The manager ( who I accidentally met later in the day) was duly apologetic and said it should not have happened. There is also a smoking allowed bar off the lobby. The connecting door needs to be kept closed to make this a truly comfortable place for someone with allergies or asthma.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank rdglady
Reviewed 23 November 2012

We spend 3 days in there and it was fantastic: great location, big room, big bathroom, good breakfast and good price.
CON: The pillows are not the regular ones and I found difficult to get confortable, but it's only my personal opinion.
The transportation from the airport turned out a little messy.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2012

-Location: center location to to most attractions: shopping, restaurants, Old City and the Underground station.

-Reception and staff: Good and cooperative reception but they need to be more welcoming. The staff working in the breakfast room were helpful too. Reception area and the lobby needs to be re-design because it doesn't give a good impression to the hotel.
-Bedroom: Wide, clean and comfort. You need to insert your room card in the elevator to go to your floor/room for safety purposes.
-Breakfast: good with helpful staff.
-Internet: free WiFi with good signal.

All in all, Great price and I do really like the central location of this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I spent 3 nights at the Modra Ruze in late July. We arrived on an overnight train from Krakow at 8am in the morning and were very tired. There was absolutely no issue checking us in at this early hour, we were even offered breakfast.

Our twin room was spotlessly clean, modern and sufficiently spacious. On the first night our air con broke. We reported it to reception, the porter came during the night but was unable to fix it. The next day reception gave us another room straight away, an even bigger twin that we were very pleased with. Breakfast was included in our rate and it was very good – plenty of fruit, salads, bread and the traditional hot breakfast. The dining room was modern and very clean, like the rest of the hotel.

The Modra Ruze is in an excellent location. It’s based in the Old Town close to Old Town Square, Wenceslas Square & Bethlehem Square. You’re central to everything here. There is WIFI in the rooms and a PC and printer at reception that you can use free of charge. Staff were helpful to us throughout our stay, always on hand to book taxis, give directions and provide information.

This was my first time in Prague. I hope to go back again in the not too distant future and if I do I’ll definitely be booking the Modra Ruze.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Stayed at Modra Ruze 3 nights medio June 2012.
The room was upgraded from standard de luxe to suite, and this was spacius.
For this reason I do not know the quality of standard rooms.
Breakfast allright - but not the very best.
Very quiet in this street, but only 50 meters to a very busy pedestrian area leading to the main sights in the historic centre.
Reasonable prices in the hotel bar

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eldste
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Whilst the hotel is well situated for visiting the Old City and Wenceslas Square the level of service from both the reception and breakfast room staff was very poor.

We stayed in a large room on the second floor, but it felt more like a converted office that a hotel room. The room had no shower, just a hand-held shower head - with no shower curtain the tiled look beame wet & very slippery.

The safe would not open and we also asked for additional pillows. The surly answer was 'after 6pm'!!

Fortunately we only stayed there for one night. We had spend the previous 5 nights at the wonderful Savic hotel and I certainly suggest that you stay there rather than the Modra Ruze!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple