“Pluses and minuses - but worth a see”

National Marionette Theatre
Ranked #138 of 934 things to do in Prague
Düsseldorf, Germany
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Pluses and minuses - but worth a see”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I love marionettes and have seen a shows in various locations. Compared to the Düsseldorfer Marionetten-Theater in Germany, this venue and performance is quite rustic. However, I found it charming. The theatre interior could use a fresh coat of paint, new carpeting and steam cleaning of the stage curtains. The Mozart marionette would benefit from a bit of repair to its hair and clothing. On a positive note, I enjoyed the show. Children and others new to marionette performances could be intrigued to see how the marionettes are operated. The hands of the puppet masters are visible. The other marionettes (Don Giovonni, Donna Anna, Leporello, Zerlina, etc) were high-quality and beautifully clothed. I expected the sound-track to be pre-recorded. I did not expect a live orchestra or that the puppet masters would be singing while manipulating the marionettes. The speakers used were Bose and the quality of sound was excellent. I read a synopsis of the opera before attending the show so I could follow the plot. The performance was a good mix of drama and humor. It's interesting and surprising to see how they deal with the end of story when Don Giovanni is taken to hell by the statue of the murdered Commendatore. If you are considering seeing this performance, I would say: Do go if you would like to see an entertaining show and go a bit early to get a good seat as seating is not assigned. To the theatre management, I would say: Please spend some money in your theatre to improve the atmosphere which will increase the enjoyment of your guests. Your performance is worth the investment.

Visited July 2014

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very poor quality”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Considering puppetry has such a long history in Prague and this is the national theatre, the standard was appalling. It was poor puppetry, tacky and embarrassing to watch.

Visited July 2014
New York City, New York, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not worth it”
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We had read about the great performace reviews on TripAdvisor and reserved four tickets. We had degustation menu at Myrlec that evening which ran longer than expected, so arrived at the venue about 20 min late. The owner (?) Or the ticket agent was rude and demand us to pay in cash if we wanted to enter. Showed him my reservation confirmation and paid by credit card -approx $30/person.
The performances was terrible at best. The marionettes movements were not detailed at all - none of the marionettes' mouths moved. Sounds were coming out of two bose speakers (played from a cd) in the front were not heard well from the back. My wife and I both fell asleep during the first half.
Compared to the the opera Aida we saw at the National Theater three nights ago, which we paid around $35/person, it was a waste of time and money.
I do not recommend.

2 Thank Jukim39
Eastern Shore, VA
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Disappointment”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Puppeteers were good, but the theater had uncomfortable seating and thread bare curtains. It all needs updating including the show production

Visited May 2014
Seoul, South Korea
318 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“Don Giovanni - Mozart”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I was not quite interested in marionette play, since I stayed in Prague over a week, I covered most of attractions. It was just to spend a time, but it was great play in a small(?) national theater with friendly atmosphere. This play is not only performed by the "dolls, marionettes", but also by the operators. That makes the play more fun and not bored at all. Specially the original music from Mozart Opera, that makes me very happy too.
However, what I surprised, as a national marionette theater, it is small place and the stage is not like "national" level. BUT the play itself, it is one of top international levels!!.

Try this beautiful and fun play. you won't regret.
Only thing that bothered me during the play, there are some annoying guests who take pictures during the play. It is not allow to use flash so some of spectators keep taking pictures. I hope theater do not allow the pictures during the running time...

In terms of price, 590 Czech Koruna. (not cheap for their living cost)

Visited May 2014