“Fair to good”

US$8.49*
90-Minute Kickstart Guided Walking Tour of Prague
Ranked #135 of 950 things to do in Prague
Reviewed 20 July 2014

On the positive side, we liked the puppetry and the music, wonderful as always, although this version of Don Giovanni omitted several key scenes. On the negative side, the forays into slapstick, especially towards the end, betrayed lack of faith in the production, as if the puppeteers feared that people were getting bored with the singing. The recorded version of the opera is from the 1989 Drottningholm Festival, and several of the voices, among them Hakan Hagegard (as the don), Arleen Auger, Gilles Cachemaille, Barbara Bonney, and the young Bryn Terfel (as Masetto), are excellent. As an opera lover I wanted to hear more. For people unfamiliar with the opera it all must have seemed a bit strange, however.

The space looks rundown, and the chairs are from hunger.

There are newer reviews for National Marionette Theatre

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I love marionettes and have seen a shows in various locations. Compared to the Düsseldorfer Marionetten-Theater in Germany, this venue and performance is quite rustic. However, I found it charming. The theatre interior could use a fresh coat of paint, new carpeting and steam cleaning of the stage curtains. The Mozart marionette would benefit from a bit of repair to its hair and clothing. On a positive note, I enjoyed the show. Children and others new to marionette performances could be intrigued to see how the marionettes are operated. The hands of the puppet masters are visible. The other marionettes (Don Giovonni, Donna Anna, Leporello, Zerlina, etc) were high-quality and beautifully clothed. I expected the sound-track to be pre-recorded. I did not expect a live orchestra or that the puppet masters would be singing while manipulating the marionettes. The speakers used were Bose and the quality of sound was excellent. I read a synopsis of the opera before attending the show so I could follow the plot. The performance was a good mix of drama and humor. It's interesting and surprising to see how they deal with the end of story when Don Giovanni is taken to hell by the statue of the murdered Commendatore. If you are considering seeing this performance, I would say: Do go if you would like to see an entertaining show and go a bit early to get a good seat as seating is not assigned. To the theatre management, I would say: Please spend some money in your theatre to improve the atmosphere which will increase the enjoyment of your guests. Your performance is worth the investment.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Considering puppetry has such a long history in Prague and this is the national theatre, the standard was appalling. It was poor puppetry, tacky and embarrassing to watch.

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We had read about the great performace reviews on TripAdvisor and reserved four tickets. We had degustation menu at Myrlec that evening which ran longer than expected, so arrived at the venue about 20 min late. The owner (?) Or the ticket agent was rude and demand us to pay in cash if we wanted to enter. Showed him my reservation confirmation and paid by credit card -approx $30/person.
The performances was terrible at best. The marionettes movements were not detailed at all - none of the marionettes' mouths moved. Sounds were coming out of two bose speakers (played from a cd) in the front were not heard well from the back. My wife and I both fell asleep during the first half.
Compared to the the opera Aida we saw at the National Theater three nights ago, which we paid around $35/person, it was a waste of time and money.
I do not recommend.

2  Thank Jukim39
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Puppeteers were good, but the theater had uncomfortable seating and thread bare curtains. It all needs updating including the show production