“Nice Hotel”

EA Hotel Crystal Palace
Ranked #343 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Great place and a very pleasant surprise. Everything was excellent but the front desk personnel. They were okay but seemed more interested in their computer than the customer. My guess is that the Internet was more interesting that our being there. Food was very good. The hotel was more than we expected and very reasonable.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MontanaTraveler2011

Reviewed 28 July 2012

We stayed for a few nights in December and managed to get quite a good price for this hotel. It was well located although from the description given, we were expecting it to be slightly closer to Wenceslas Square. It was still walk-able so not a problem, just something to be aware of.

The hotel itself was nothing special and was not as grand as we were expecting (from the photographs). As others have mentioned, the staff were not very welcoming or friendly but they didn't do anything wrong either. The room was nice and of an average size. It was very dark as not much light came through the window and the walls were dark brown but we didn't spend much time in the room so it didn't bother us too much. The bathroom was really nice and very clean. The only major downside was that the carpet was stained and really needed replacing.

The breakfast was great. There was a lot of selection including all the usuals you expect from a continental as well as some hot items. The restaurant where breakfast was served was lovely and had a glass ceiling (we could see through the ceiling from our room so we could gage when breakfast was quiet). The only downside was that some of the other people staying were very rude during breakfast but that's not the hotels fault.

Overall this hotel was good but nothing special. It was a little less than I would expect from a 4 star, I would say it was more like a 3 star. If I could give it a 3.5 I would but as there was nothing majorly wrong with our stay I rounded it up to 4. We had a fantastic time in Prague and if I was returning in the future I would consider stopping at this hotel but would have a look into other hotels first.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Stayed just one night here at the end of a longer stay in Prague and the wider Czech Republic. It seemed a perfectly decent hotel. It's in a really good location and very accessible. And we got a good price via an online offer. Rooms were fairly small but well appointed and fairly clean but I agree with some of the other reviewers though that it looked like it might be time to change the carpets...! I found the bed comfortable although my partner did not sleep well. Our bathroom was decent: smart and clean, and the shower was good.
Breakfast buffet was the best bit about the hotel - there was a lot of choice and it was served in a lovely sun-filled room. Some of the pastries and brioche were a bit stale, but the bread was fresh and there was a good range of fresh fruit alongside the usual cereals, cheese and meat as well as a selection of juice and hot drinks.
The reception staff were a bit surly, which made us feel slightly unwelcome as we arrived. However, they did everything we needed, so no real complaints. There was a bit of a language barrier with all the staff, but this is a czech hotel chain in Prague and I don't exactly speak fluent czech (or more than about 5 words!), so I don't feel I really have the right to complain about this!

Overall, I just felt that the hotel lacked charm. It was good value for what we paid, but it just wasn't really that special, compared with other 4 star hotels in Prague and elsewhere. It was just a bit forgettable (which is of course better than being memorable for the wrong reasons!).

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Disappointing. The staff was flippant, all young, and not able to answer questions I asked Yes, they spoke English, but they looked at me oddly when I asked about two well know
n business, Cafe Imperial and Moser. I got the feeling they were bored by their work.

The location is indeed great and the room quiet. Our room was not cleaned the second day. As this in Europe, and because I try to be environmentally responsible, I did not expect fresh sheets, but we needed fresh towels. The carpeting was heavily stained indicating that room had seen much partying and use. The walls are painted brown with flat paint, which is not usually what you would expect from a hotel. Likewise, the walls had seen much wear. The sheer drapes were well worn and did not close properly.

Breakfast was good in a nice dining room. There is something for every taste, and I was pleased to see fresh fruit there.

The bar was a little pricey and I encourage one to pay in cash only to avoid unauthorized charges. A coke was 30 crowns.

At times, the young staff was not at the desk. This is never a good sign in any establishment, and it is worse to see them outside smoking. My traveling partner, well acquainted with hash, swears the desk clerk in the evening was stoned.

At 100$ a night, I would have expected better. There is another hotel next door, and there was an above average Italian restaurant down the street.

When I come back to Prague, I'll choose another hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mwr1963
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My friend & I booked this hotel for a 3 night stay between 28th & 31st May this year - mainly because of the fantastic value for money and location of the hotel. I'd like to be clear that up until the last day we were really impressed with the hotel overall. The breakfast was good (with a good selection of items), the hotel was kept to a very high standard of cleanliness & generally staff were polite and helpful. My sister is coming to Prague in the next few weeks and I had even recommended the hotel to her based on what we thought initially. However....and this is where I want to be clear that up until this point we'd had an excellent stay as I wouldn't like to dismiss this hotel completely....on the last day we checked out & unfortunately when I checked the receipt I had been charged for items on the minibar that we hadn't had. I am unsure what the items were as the receipt is in Czech however I spoke the lady on reception immediately, explaining that I had been charged incorrectly. I thought she would apologise and clear the mishap up immediately. Sadly, she didn't do this and insisted that we pay for the items. I explained that I wouldn't be paying for them given that we hadn't had them to which she responded that we were "bad peopl" and that we were "theives". I was most upset at this as I would be more than happy to have settled up had I had the items. I asked to speak to the manager about this and when she got off the phone she said he had said we could have a refund. End of the matter I thought - wrong. She persisted to insult me and my friend, and to add further humiliation she called down a housekeeper who thrust a list in my face saying that was proof enough that we had had the items. There was a complete lack of customer service & acceptance of a mistake - and further more a complete refusal to let me speak to a manager. I feel that overall I would go back to the hotel BUT approach with caution as it really left a bad taste in our mouths on the last day. I also feel I wouldn't have had to write this negative review had the issue been sorted out in a more considerate manner.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jo K
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Good value hotel. Bonus was a buffet breakfast which was unexpected. Staff helpful.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Good hotel for good price. This hotel is located aprox 10 minutes walk to centrum - to Vaclavske namesti, aprox 20 minutes walk to Karlov most/bride. So if you want see Praha by walk, this is a good location. Hotel has also garage parking spaces, but you need to book it with room. We had room in building C, not main building and this was good. Our room and neighbors room has together balcony, so can smoking there. Room is quite small size, bed is good quality. Breakfast is ok, menu is good for small hotel. Negative - TV has only aprox 5 channels, shower has some wholes, because water go out to floor, no enough hangers for towels, carpet is strainge material, so looks dirty. And no wifi internet connection in hotel.
So or so - If I will go again to Praha, I will think again about this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple