“Great Hotel”

Hotel Galileo Prague
Ranked #111 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 6 October 2010

My husband and I spent 10 days in Prague at the Hotel Galileo and were very happy with our stay at the hotel. We chose the hotel based on the other travel reviews in TripAdvisor and had a very positive experience. I had emailed the hotel several times before we left the USA and my emails were always responded to very promptly. The hotel had a special offer which was a free shuttle bus from the airport (which saved us 680 KC) and which drove people who were staying at one of the 4 hotels in the chain. Our room was very, very nice and I think it was probably an apartment at one time ( I think it was the best room in the hotel). It was always immaculate and warm. The water pressure in the bathroom was excellent, the heated towel rack was very nice and the bed and pillows were exactly what I wanted. The breakfast included cold cereals, meats, cheeses, different types of rolls or pastries, sausages (mini hot dogs), either hard boiled or sometimes they offered fried eggs, fruits, juices, and several more items which I now forget. There’s a nice pub/restaurant down the block where we had dinner the first night. When I looked at the outside menu, it was written in Czech with no English translation, however, the waiter came out and gave us English menus.
The hotel is in a nice residential neighborhood which is very quiet. It’s about a 10 minute walk to Wenceslas Square and although you can walk to Old Town, it would be about 20-30 minutes. However, the hotel is situated about 2 blocks from the tram and the metro. You can buy 1 day metro/tram tickets at the hotel for 100 KC and with this ticket you can ride throughout the city and get on and off all the trams/metros. We didn’t buy this but bought the individual tickets at the metro station. (For 18KC you can ride on the tram/metro for 20 minutes, with no transfers, and for 26KC you can transfer as many times as you want within 1-1/4 hours. ) The Czech language is very unusual and hard to pronounce so I had some difficulty remembering the names of the stops on the tram or metro. However, one of the people at reception, printed out a schedule of the #22 tram and marked off the name of the stop where the hotel is located and the name of the stop where I wanted to go to. This was very helpful since I had the names of the stops in writing and didn’t have to rely on pronouncing or hearing the pronunciation. Although I would have preferred a hotel closer to Old Town (or Lesser Town), the Galileo offers a very good price, a good breakfast and large, clean rooms and it is very accessible to mass transit. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Gali49, Team Leader at Hotel Galileo Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2010

Dear Sir / Madam,
thank you very much for your stay at our hotel and also your comment on Tripadvisor.
We very appreciate it. I am very happy you enjoyed spacious neat room and helpful staff.
We are looking forward to welcome you again and wish you all the best.
Kind regards
Team Leader
Hotel Galileo

Reviewed 27 September 2010

I stayed at the Galileo hotel for a couple of nights on a business trip to Prague. I am pleased to say that this is a really nice, value hotel in Prague that does exactly as it says on the package. The room was spacious, toilet and bathroom were speckless and the bed was very comfortable with ample storage space to boot. If you are someone who likes reasonably fast internet in budget hotels, the wi-fi actually works and you don't have to call or spend many hours just trying to get a good signal.
For business travelers, the only downside is the lack of a restaurant and consequently a hot breakfast but then this is excellent value for the price.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Itiner78
Gali49, Team Leader at Hotel Galileo Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2010

Dear SIR/MADAM
Thank you for such nice comments on Tripadvisor.
We appreciate your objective assessment of our Hotel Galileo.
We would be more than happy if we have
a change serving you again in the future.

With best regards
Jozef Klíma/Team Leader Hotel Galileo.

Reviewed 23 September 2010

Despite an initial problem over booking and spending a night in a sister hotel Josef the friendly and helpful receptionist soon sorted this out with charm !This hotel is quietly elegant and well situated for local metro and trams to most cultural connections . It has good local restaurants nearby and shops . It is clean with spacious rooms. However i do not understand why there is a kettle in the room and no supplies of coffee or tea to enjoy after a busy day sightseeing perhaps Josef could sort this out for future clients as we do love our cuppas !! Thank you for a perfect stay in this smashing hotel .

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank alison m
Gali49, Team Leader at Hotel Galileo Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2010

Dear Madam,
Let me thank you for your stay at our
hotel and also very nice comment on Tripadvisor.
We are very delighted,that you enjoyed your stay
and you were satisfied with our service.
With kind regards
Team Leader/Hotel Galileo/

Reviewed 17 September 2010

Excellent suite and very reasonable price. Breakfast very impressive. Minor issue was that we paid for parking and didn't realise the garage is at a sister hotel approx 20 mins walk away. But even so, would probably still go back to this hotel. Staff very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2010
Gali49, Team Leader at Hotel Galileo Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2010

Dear Sir/Madam
Thank you very much for beautiful response on Tripadvisor,
We want to futher improve comfort for our customers,
and all our staff are always ready to help.

Team Leader Hotel Galileo

Reviewed 1 September 2010

A very comfortable hotel,very clean and tidy,also as due to being in a residential area,also very quiet at night,no lairy stag or hen do's!.
There is a very friendly bar across the road called U Webru which was nice to go for a final drink of the evening.
The hotel is situated a 5 minute walk to I P Pavlova metro stop,we reccomend buying the 3 day tram/metro/bus pass for CZK330.00. A lot of walking in Prague but the mtro is quick clean and saves your legs.
The staff a the hotel were very courteous and spoke English very well.
Breakfasts were smashing,as much or as little as you want with plenty of choice.
The only slight niggle we may have had is that although there was a kettle in the room,the tea or coffee had to be purchased.
All in all,if we return to Prague,we would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Gali49, Team Leader at Hotel Galileo Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2010

Dear SIR/MADAM
We are very grateful for your nice and positive comments.
I am very delighted you enjoyed our spacious rooms and helpful staff.
We are looking forward to welcome you again here.

Kind regards
Team Leader/Hotel Galileo/

Reviewed 18 August 2010

This is my 14th stay in Prague, yet it is my first stay in Hotel Galileo.

I like to stay in contact with hotel management while staying at any hotel. The way to do that for me is to write a pre-review of my experience after a few days directed to the management. Sometimes it does not work and the management does not respond. This time it did work and it was Mrs Olga Zrcková (general manager) picking up the e-mail. Well done on that!!

I have read a lot of reviews on this hotel. Most people experienced this hotel as good, some felt they had an extremely bad experience. My experience is: "If you want something, ask the staff how they could help you as soon as possible!". Because of the contact with management I was able to ask questions which offered the staff the chance to help me. For this hotel it works EXCELLENT!

Some facts:
- The staff speaks excellent English!
- The staff is very knowledgable and they have been given a wide range of tools from the hotel management to help the guests! They also help you with your way through Prague.
- Breakfast offers cereal, cheese, ham, butter, something sweet, yoghurt, bread, buns, hot white beans, fried or cooked egg, hot saussage, coffee, hot chocolate, blueberry drink, mixed fruit drink, water and milk
- It is 2 minutes walking to tram 6 and 11. They will take you to metro station I.P. Pavlova and (tram 11) to muzeum (=downtown). Each tram goes at leat 4 times an hour
- It is 5-10 minutes walking to metro station I.P. Pavlova (red line C) and Namestí Míru (green line A).
- Hotel management claims that 24 hour tickets for all Prague transport are available at the reception desk (ticket is CZK 100 and that is a cheap price)
- The internet connection is free and is 65Mbps. My personal opinion (!!!) is that it is superfast!
- Rooms are airconditioned. It takes about half an hour for the room being on the selected temparature
- Room and bathroom were clean
- In our room (room 203) you had to hold the shower in your hand to get a shower. This is not the standard, though. After bringing this up to management, management offered us to move to room 202 which would have a different layout. We have decided to stay in the current room to avoid the hassle of moving (Thank you, Mrs Zrcková!).
- The floors have tiling. In general tiles amplify sound.
- Water on the bathroom floor does not have any place to go. Guests are advised to be careful when taking a shower or a bath not to spill too much water on the floor.
- Hot and cold water comes out of the taps and shower with enough power
- Room was clean. I observed that the cleaners mopped the floor after one day of stay. I assume the cleaners mop the floor every day.
- The TV is a standard 37cm TV. In a response Mrs Zrcková wrote to me: "Regarding size of our TV, we are planning investment in LCD flat screens in very near future. I strongly believe you will enjoy LCD screen with full range of channels next time."
- We caused a little accident during our stay. Hotel reception helped us out in a perfect, friendly and understanding matter. All this at 10:30pm in the evening.

So often I find guests in general being rude and still expect super service. My personal opinion is that guests in this hotel will be offered a very friendly, polite and excellent service from the hotel. All you have to do is to show respect and ask questions in time. Give the hotel a chance to improve and/or correct a problem in time and they will go a long mile for you and beyond to make your stay unforgettable.

I compliment this hotel for the excellent service that my wife and I have experienced. When visiting Prague we will most definitely stay in Hotel Galileo again.

Mickel & Leann Reemer, Zwaag, The Netherlands

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MickelR
Gali49, Team Leader at Hotel Galileo Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2010

DEAR MRS. a MR. REEMER,
Thank you for beautiful response.We are very pleased that we
can accomodate you in our hotel.Galileo
Thank you warmly for your rewiew of hotel Galileo and we hope
that will be an inspiration for our new clients of hotel Galileo.
In the future we want to futher improve our service to our clients.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the future
I wish you and your wife all the best/wish all team Hotel Galileo.
Jozef Klíma/Team Leader/Hotel Galileo

Reviewed 25 July 2010

This is a great place to stay in Prague. My room was air conditioned, clean, and comfortable. The prices are also reasonable if you stay for more than a few days. The breakfast was great. The wireless internet was fine. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The neighborhood is safe - there are well lit streets nearby and plenty of people on them at all hours. There are a lot of inexpensive, high quality restaurants and pubs in the area, as well as several grocery stores, some of them which are open 24 hours.
One thing people may worry about is that it is a bit far away from the big sites. However, there are 2 metro stops which are within 5 minutes of walking distance, and take you close to the big sites (metro line A at Namesti Miru is the most useful.) Also, you can walk to Wenceslas square in less than 10 minutes, and then from there, another 10 minutes will take you to Old Town square. We walked from the hotel to Charles Bridge and beyond several times, and it wasn't a big deal for us. However, as mentioned before, the metro and tram systems are easily accessible from this hotel if you don't want to walk too far.
If I ever come back to Prague, this is where I want to stay. Vinohrady is a the perfect neighborhood to use as a base to explore the city.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MickStarks
Gali49, Team Leader at Hotel Galileo Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2010

Dear Sir/Madam
I would like to thank for your stay at hotel Galileo,
thank you for such a nice review.
I hope to see you again.
Wish you all the best.