Albion Hotel
Preferred Hotels
US$68
US$63
  • Restaurant
Green Garden Hotel(Prague)(Great Value!)
US$140
US$129
Priceline
US$167
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Review of my stay at Albion Hotel, Peroutkova, Prague

I stayed at this hotel as part of an Easy Jet holiday for three nights (12th, 13th and 14th September 2011) and this is an account of my stay there. I cannot say if this hotel operates permanently as it did when I stayed but I recommend that you read this to evaluate whether you want to take the chance!

I arrived on Monday afternoon at around 17.30 and checked in. I was met with a distinctly unwelcoming attitude by the girl on the check in desk. I do not know if this was because I was English or whether, in the ten seconds she had known me, she had decided that she didn’t like me.

This hotel comprises four accommodation blocks (A, B, C and D) and I was given a room on the seventh floor of B block. Once you leave the glitz of the lobby area, the shine fades as you walk through yellow corridors which appear to have last seen fresh paint sometime in the nineteenth century. The lift worked and I arrived on the seventh floor of B block and located my room on the left hand side at the end of the corridor. I found the room to be basic but comfortable and clean. As the corridors only have a window at the narrow end, they are quite dark and timer light switches are placed along the corridor. On my corridor, the lights did not work so I had to tread carefully to avoid anything which may have been left outside the door of a room.

I went out and returned to the hotel at around 21.00 when I thought that I would visit the “Beer Pub”. I was stopped from entering at the door by some sort of chef who rudely demanded to see my room card. I showed it to him and he made noises of disapproval as I had not brought the room card envelope with me. After explaining that I just wanted to buy a beer, he let me past. The “Beer Pub” is actually just the breakfast room with one beer tap. I approached the “bar” and requested a beer. The barman indicated immediately that the beer pump was not working and that if I bought a bottle of beer, I would have to supply the correct change in Koruna as the till was not working either. Brilliant!

I visited the Lobby Bar afterwards and this was fine. 40CZK for a bottle of beer, quite reasonable for a hotel I thought. I took my beer into the “Summer Garden” and sat down. The Summer Garden is a small patio area sandwiched between two of the accommodation blocks with a water feature. It was at this point that I made a correlation between something that I had seen earlier and what I was seeing now. Upon arrival, there had been five or six coaches in the car park but I had thought nothing of it. It was now apparent that the coaches had been the transport for hundreds of youths who now had all the room windows open shouting, screaming and wailing!

I went up to the room at around 22.30 and it seemed that all the rooms on my corridor were now occupied by people around the age of 18 shouting, squealing, screaming and wailing. This went on most of the night with doors opening and slamming on a regular basis. The corridor effectively became a social gathering area for the unruly selfish youths. The thought crossed my mind that, given the attitude of the girl on reception when I checked in, she may have assigned me to this room intentionally. I cannot say for certain, but I am quite sure that I was the only guest in this corridor that was not part of the coach party.

I complained at reception the next morning and I was told that it was “student season”. I pointed out that there are signs on the corridor walls indicating that disturbances between the hours of 22.00 and 06.00 will not be tolerated. He said that all he could offer was the services of the security officer if I called in to reception when it happened again. No offer of an alternative room was made.

Once again, I visited the Lobby Bar in the evening and was surprised to learn that the same beer was 50 CZK tonight (10 CZK more than the previous night).

The experience of this night was similar to that of the previous one with some variations. Someone was banging on a pipe which I imagine would have traveled through most of the block and, for some of the night, the room next to mine became the “community centre”. I phoned down to reception at around midnight and security was allegedly dispatched. When things were the same at around 00.30, I got dressed and went down to reception. I demanded another room explaining that I can cope with one sleepless night but not two. I was supposed to be on holiday! There was one man and one woman on reception and, by the time the man had finished saying that the hotel was full and there were no spare rooms, the woman had prepared a new room key and handed it to the man to give to me. Apparently, this hotel has the extraordinary ability to accommodate you in rooms that do not exist! He then proceeded to explain that this room was in block A and that there were no students in block A. I asked why I had not been accommodated in block A initially and he offered no reason. As you know, I have my own suspicions. The room in block A was quiet and I slept for the first time since arriving at this hotel.

I skipped breakfast the next morning as the students were crowded around the buffet like locusts. Most of the buffet had gone and it appeared that no-one was going to be bothered to replenish it. I moved my things from the room in block B and handed the old room key in at reception and I was greeted with the same look of repulsion and silence.

I visited the Lobby Bar on my last evening and was pleased to see that the beer had returned to its original price once again. I mentioned this to the barman and he explained that I was mistaken and he showed me the till receipt which clearly stated 40CZK. I can only conclude that the gentleman the previous evening was applying his own “barman’s tax”.

My sleep on my last night was only broken twice, the first time by what I can only assume was a bus load of lager louts leaving on a bus from the front of the hotel at around 23.30 and then at around 03.00 on their return.

I have stayed at many hotels around the world ranging from 3* to 5* plus and I have never been so glad to leave as I was when I checked out of this one. This appears to be a hotel which accommodates mainly coach tours at the expense of the normal traveler. The hotel management appears to lack the inclination or the capacity to exercise any control over the behaviour of the groups to which they offer accommodation.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
14  Thank MH995
AlbionHotel, Manager at Albion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

Dear MH995, thank you very much for the feedback, which will help us to improve our customer service. Please note lights on the corridors were repaired and all of our staff was trained to know how to behave to hotel customers. With best regards

Reviewed 3 September 2011

Yes it has a "Grand" Entrance/Reception if you can get pass the smokers on the steps.
4 Stars - may be refered to the ones in the sky?
Room -- basic without any tea/coffee facilities.
Cleaning - ok, except the door left open by the cleaner, may be due to the dodgy door locking system.
Heating system - No air condition, just large opening window and heating (not operative)
Sleeping well at night - If you can ignor the parties/chanting/screening/X-factor auditionees/CGT auditionees. Yes we din;t get much sleep until about 5 or 6am in the morning.
Breakfast - ok, but the juice were diluted down.
Staff - some were good and helpful, but most couldn't understand you or bothered to do anything. When on one occassion when to the Recption to complain about the noise level from Block D (Youth Wing). I stood there for 5 minutes before the staff acknowledged me and wanted me to fid out exactly where the noise came from myself. Which I did, but the noise was still happening for another 3 hours.
Reception at night - walked through and came back with my clothes full of smell of smoke. Wasn't smoking banned in public places in Czech Republic yet?
Location & Direction to hotel - Not very helpful and clear. May be it was done like to give the impression it is closer to City Centre than it is..

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank James W

Dear James W, thank you for the review. Please note our rates are adequate to quality of accommodation and services. We also offer Apartments and Suite, where our guests are relocated for a small supplement in case they are not happy in Economy or Standard Rooms. Regarding the noise please note this is individual behaviour of our young clients, which we cannot change anyhow. With best regards

Reviewed 3 September 2011

We spent 3 nights at this hotel in Prague with 40 other friends. Before coming here I had a look on different comments on TripAdvisor and I noticed that almost all comments were negative. I read of stained carpets, dirty rooms, no mini bar, poor quality food, poor breakfast, and rude staff. Some people wrote that it was the worst hotel they ever visited. So, before coming here I warned my friends not to expect much, and I even called the travel agency asking for more info concerning this hotel. In reality I thought it was the worst of the three hotels we were going to visit on our 9 day trip to Europe. The agency told me that they use this hotel frequently and never before had they heard of negative comments.

The hotel is huge and part of it has recently been renovated. It is mostly popular with guests who come here by coach. You will also find many students who stay over the night on a school trip. It can be very noisy when students come, but during our 3 night stay, luckily we had no trouble at all. Noise was mostly in the afternoon. Animals are allowed in the hotel, so I went to check if there is a separate place for these animals when they are accepted but the reception people told me that this does not happen often but when it does, these animals stay in the rooms with their owners. (This I did not like at all to be honest.)

Smoking is allowed in the lounge area next to the bar, but luckily not in the rooms. The area on the ground floor has the smell of cigarette all over.

We had our room upgraded to a suite when we got there and we were given room # 606. The suite was huge but with nothing stylish or fancy. The bathroom was big with a bath tub. We had different toiletries of the Aqua Line branch. We had clean bright white towels that were changed daily. The coffee facilities in our room were appreciated even if I always carry along my own small kettle, but I noticed the very last day we did not have any toiletries nor coffee or milk added.

Our bed was really huge, -hard just like we wanted it, and there was so much space (for kids to play with a ball) in the two very spacious rooms plus the small entrance hall. There was a small brown stain somewhere on the carpet, but this does not mean that the hotel is dirty. On the contrary I found it very clean.

Breakfast was more than adequate, with a variety of cheese, porridge, croissant, ham, salami, yoghurt, fruit, and juice. (Don’t expect to find fresh orange juice here though.) As we were on H/B basis we had buffet all three nights. A big glass of beer at the bar costs 2.5 euro but they accept only local money. You can change your money at the reception desk. I found the people at the bar restaurant extremely rude. The elderly lady at the bar is very arrogant and the boy at the coffee bar opposite the souvenir shop does not speak much English.

The very last evening an incident made me ask to see the kitchen manager when many people in our group asked me to check the cucumber dish. I noticed that cucumbers were molten and I am not exaggerating. Luckily the people in the kitchen must have noticed it. Cucumbers were soft dark and creamy on the bottom of the huge bowl. The people at the restaurant had added freshly cut cucumbers to molten ones of previous days! I added an (s) and used bold letters to stress this. If those cucumbers were cut the previous day it would have been in a much better condition. The worst of all is that I had no battery in the camera to take a picture of the bowl. I asked to see the kitchen manager who with very rude manners refused that this happened and he seemed angry even though I was very polite and talked silently because I did not want to make a fuss. Of course I could not prove any evidence since he had already changed the bowl with a new one with all fresh cucumbers but I was surprised of the way he reacted.

Buffet was satisfying and if it was not for that salad dish which I referred above I could give it an 80 mark out of a 100. That incident spoiled the whole picture of our last night and stay. We were lucky we had not seen this happen the first day of our stay.

Some of the rooms on the ground and first floors can be really noisy especially those overlooking the parking lot (full of buses) mostly. Coaches come even late at midnight and it can be too noisy depending on the people and age.

Wireless Internet access is free and mostly young people gather at the bar area or at the side of the reception on the ground floor to work on their laptops. There is a nice quiet garden at the back of the bar restaurant with grass and a fountain with round tables and some chairs for people to sit on hot sunny days or warm afternoons.

There are no shops around, and it is far from the city centre. I highly recommend it for big groups coming here by coach. I would not mind staying here again if I ever visit Prague but again I would choose to stay at a suite. In all, the stay was good if it had not been for the rude manners of the people I mentioned above, and I mean really rude. These people should not work here because they destroy the whole picture of the hotel. As for rooms, in all, I guess it all depends on the room you are given because some of the wings are much better than others. There are rooms with no mini bars in, or are very noisy. The impression of the whole group of 44 people was satisfying for the money we paid.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are not bad, but our suite #606 was very spacious.The best part was the bathroom and our hard comfortable huge beds.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank greekcypriot2009

Dear Guest, thank you very much for your review, which helps us to improve our customer service. With best regards

Reviewed 22 August 2011

What star system is this hotel rated on? We ended up here as we recieved a voucher from friends as a wedding gift. Turns out the voucher was a fraud and so we had no booking at all. As we arrived at the hotel on sunday night we decided to stay a couple of nights. The staff were very rude and asking them a question seemed an inconvenience. Bedrooms very bare and basic, stains on the carpet - the 'partial mini bar' consisted on a cupboard with what appeared to the back board of a fridge in it! Breakfast was a cacophony of sticky cakes and sweating ham and cheese which had been out since 6am - totally inedible. Internet access was £2 for 15 mins. Even worse, the hotel is a long way from the city centre not ideal at all for a city break as you cannot just pop back to the hotel during a day of sight-seeing as you have to take a bus and a metro into town. On our third day, we were told the hotel was full and so we left and found a much better place in the city centre. All in all, the kennels that we left our dogs in was a better option than this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blaggybum

Dear Guest, thank you for the feedback which always helps us to improve or customer service. Please note our rates of Economy and Standard rooms are adequate to accommodation and service. If our guest are not satisfied with those kind of rooms, they can any time to be relocated into our apartment or suite for just a small supplement. Also please note hotel is not located far from the City Center. It is located 8 minutes by bus from the metro station Andel which is a part of the City Center. The City Center is located between following underground stations: Andel, Malostranska, Florenc and I.P. Pavlova. Regarding the staff please note all of them were trained to know how to behave to customers. With best regards

Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed there for 3 nights, The hotel itself is very far from the city centre, you need to take a bus and then the subway to get to the centre. it takes like 30minutes to reach. If you take a cap, but not from the hotel, it's about €10. the rooms were awful, especially the beds are surprisingly uncomfortable. And also there is no internet connection in the rooms. ıt's said to be a 4 star hotel but there is no fridge in the rooms. The breakfast- nothing to say about it, so i'm sure there are better hotels, this one might be one of the worst.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank masterbiyik

Dear Guest, please note we inform all guests, that hotel is located 8 minutes by bus from the Smichov (station Andel) which is the center of Prague 5 and 20 minutes by public transport from the Wenceslas Square. Also plese note not only Wenceslas Sq. is Prague City Center. City Center is located between following underground stations: Andel, Malostranska, Florenc and I.P. Pavlova. Regarding missing minibar in your room, please note you have reserved Economy Room, anyway if you were not happy, you could anytime ask on reception to be relocated into our Standard Room or Apartment for just a small supplement. With best regards