“Exquisite in every respect”

Mandarin Oriental, Prague
Ranked #23 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 26 May 2011

We spent seven nights at the Mandarin Oriental in Prague beginning May 2, 2011. Our room was #321 overlooking the inner courtyard - a deluxe garden room. We found this hotel to be perfect for our needs. It's location just a five minute walk from the Charles Bridge was perfect. Being located in the Mala Strana section we avoided the throngs of tourists. It made for easy and peaceful strolls along the Vltava River. Plenty of great restaurants abound in the area and all an easy walk. The hotel staff was perfect - - genuinely friendly and wonderfully helpful. Concierge services were excellent. The breakfast that came with the room was top notch, too. We're very glad we had the garden view room because it was very quiet at night - great sleeping environment. We had room service a couple of times during our stay and the food was excellent, served hot, and the response was rapid. Free internet access in the business center. Hard to imagine a better spot in Prague. TIP: Check out the Jan Paukert deli across the river - the concierge can tell you how to get there. Paukert's has been there since 1916. A real Prague treat and one that general tourists might not find.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,441)

Reviewed 2 May 2011

I have been to many other MO hotels in the world but this is the best.

From Barbara (Reservations) to Pavel (Concerige, he is a star), they all try hard to please. Such customer service is hard to come by in top notch European hotels.

In terms of location, MO in Lesser Town is a little further away from Charles Bridge and some of the main sites (15 to 20 mins walk). After a few walking trips, we gave up and simply took the taxi. Never take a taxi from the street. Simply save the AAA Taxi number in your hand phone. Call the number, press 1 for English, tell them your location and destination, and a taxi will appear in 5 minutes. They charge around 30 crowns more, which is nothing.

We had a terrace room in the New Wing which opened out to a huge garden. We were blessed with a few days of great sunshine (25 c) and so the garden was a big plus. The very helpful front desk manager took us for a walk around the hotel. Amazing how much work and money MO put into the reconstruction of an old, abandoned building and turned it into something so splendid. Having said that, in the Winter one must stay in the Old Wing with the remaining frescos and unique room layout.

I am very much into spa. I admit I was pretty skeptical about MO spa in PRAGUE. I was still toying with the idea until the hotel tour of which I saw the old water well located in the spa buliding. To spa in a historial building covered with Linen Blossom leaves which is exclusively Czeh was tempting enough. I was not wrong. I must confess the 90 min session (3800 crowns) was even better than MO in Bangkok or Aman Borbodhur. Now that is a huge compliment to MO Prague.

As for meals, I am not a fan of Czeh food. The best meal I had during those 4 nights was at the MO and Mlycern overlooking Charles Bridge.

We had booked the Czeh Philharmonic (fantastic) and Mozart's Magic Flute (in German, less than spectatcular) before our arrival.

And oh Moser. I bought tons of beautiful Czeh crystal at a big bargain, almost making me weep, comparing to what we pay here in Hong Kong. Do ask for the 5% coupon from Pavel the Head Concerige.

The MO Prague experience is money well spent.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2011

The situation of this hotel is superb, a quiet oasis in the little quarter of Prague with everything you want to see in this fascinating city within easy reach.

The welcome, service and food are what one would expect, however the available public areas are somewhat limited. I stayed in a ‘superior queen’ room, arranged for single occupancy, situated on the top floor of the original building. Although interesting in character with a high ceiling, exposed beams and an upstairs luxury bathroom it was very dark and a bit depressing. Due to the constraints of the architecture of the building there was only a single very small window set high up on one wall giving the room the feel of a comfortable but gloomy garret.

Strangely for a five star hotel there were no tea and coffee making facilities in the room or daily newspaper provided. I did enjoy Prague and the hotel but if visiting again would be careful about room booking.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank GastrodontUK
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I'd booked a deal with an airline which included 3 nights accommodation, but on arrival, I was told the hotel ( Hilton Old Town) was over booked, and I was put in a taxi and whisked away. I didn't know what hotel I had been re booked into, but was delighted to arrive at the MO.
I was warmly welcomed, given tea and promply taken to my room on the top floor of the original building. This was a suite for one, with exposed beams, big comfy bed, a regularly replenished fruit bowl, bottled water, plenty of plug points, and a huge bathroom. No need to request a robe and slipper ( unlike the Hilton !) as they were readily supplied.
My room was immaculately clean, very quiet, and totally relaxing after a long day walking the lovely streets of Prague.
Breakfast were delicious and ample. As the weather was so good, I ate out on the terrace in the court yard. One evening I ate at the hotel, which was expensive but delicious. Also indulged in the odd glass of wine or two, with nibbles provided as standard.
After a few days of endless walking, I was in need a good massage, and the spa centre was an oasis of calm. I felt as though I could have floated back to my room.
For me, this hotel was outstanding in customer service.The staff seemed genuinely pleased to help, with suggestions on places to eat, how to use public transport, and arranged speedy taxi's when I was late for a concert.. and then the opera.
I was so glad my original hotel was overbooked.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank mcpinder
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Spent three nights at the MO Prague. What a treat. Booked flights and hotel through our airline for a very good deal. On arrival were welcomed with refreshing drinks and then shown to our room whilst someone took care of the luggage. Slightly disappointed to be shown out of the main hotel building across the entrance courtyard into the spa building but once we were in the room any disappointment disappeared. Since the hotel is formed from the various buildings of the former monastery, it does feel like a complex of buildings and this is part of its charm. Our room was superb. Not huge but still a good size and with high ceilings and a separate vestibule felt very spacious and was beautiful and comfortable. Service was impeccable throughout the hotel, particularly reception and concierge.

The hotel is in an excellent location for exploring Prague and is tucked away from the noisier and busier streets that are close by. It is also a couple of streets away from the tram routes so it is convenient but come nighttime it is quiet and peaceful. Sleep quality was very good.

We checked out a couple of other comparable hotels whilst we were in Prague that we had considered booking and were pleased that we had booked the Mandarin Oriental.

This is a beautiful hotel in an excellent and quiet location yet it doesn't feel like a big international brand. I am already thinking about booking for Christmas....................

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Because this is such a wonderful place! The location of the MO Prague is perfect. You walk to the Charles Bridge in 5 minutes. Basically you can walk to all the famous sights of Prague, I did! Just bring good walking shoes. The restaurant serves excellent food - my favourite was the Thai soup and the Duck curry. Yummy:-) I mean, you don`t have to eat dumplings and gulash every day. The staff must be the friendliest group of people I have ever met. And I mean all of them, which is quite rare. There always seem to be one member of the staff who has missed class; but not at the MO Prague. They all deliver excellent service. There are many different room categories. I stayed in a junior suite with vaulted ceilings and wooden floors. Very comfortable and great beds! And a TV in the bathroom. I almost forgot the SPA. I had the best Swedish massage ever. Just do it!
Congratulations to the management. I will be back.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 April 2011

My recent stay with three friends at the Mandarin Oriental in Prague was absolutely outstanding. The hotel got it right with service from the reception, to the restaurant staff, to the concierge, to the bar waitress of such exceptional quality...friendly without being overbearing, remembering our faces, our drink preferences, patient with our "tourist" questions, handling our shipping needs, and all speaking excellent English (and I'm sure a dozen other languages.) The decor was exquisitely understated and welcoming while our rooms splendidly comfortable with bright sunshine streaming in the large windows facing the courtyard.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new wing facing the garden