“Second visit proves the best”

Mandarin Oriental, Prague
Ranked #28 of 672 Hotels in Prague
London
“Second visit proves the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

I was here for two days on business and then a long weekend with my wife. This gave me more time to explore the beautiful area surrounding this hotel and let me feel a bit more at home here. Last time I was in one of the large, new-build rooms around the garden. This time, they upgraded me to a wonderful suite in the old part of the monastery. It had a vaulted roof and felt a bit like I was staying a five-star version of The Name of the Rose! The breakfasts are wonderful with the best coffee. Get a hotel car to pick you up from the airport - it's very comfortable and relatively cheap (for a limo transfer).

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pleasanton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

My son and I spent four nights in Prague at the Mandarin in early August, and the experience really couldn't have been better. The hotel is a wonderfully unique property (a former monastery) that allows you to feel outside of the bustle of Prague, even though it is close to all of the major sites. Everyone from the front desk staff to the concierge to the restaurant staff were exceptionally friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Be sure to have dinner on the deck. One of my favorite hotel experiences.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Perth. West Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed at the MO for 8 nights in July and I would have to say it was a very pleasant experience.The staff are what makes this place as they go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.I only have two minor gripes about the place and they are the rooms are very noisy during the day (was jet lagged coming from a different time zone) with slamming doors and the baths and marble floors are very very slippery (they supply a rubber bath mat so must know about it ).I nearly went AOT on two occasions and on the second one ended up with a massive bruise on one of my legs.However as most negatives have a positive after the slip against the edge of the bath with a sore leg we decided the next day to hire sedgeways and do a three hour guided tour.(this facility is just outside the hotel gate).The sedgeway tour was fantastic and the distance you cover is huge.I would recommend it at the start of your trip as you will then have a better idea of the layout of the city, seriously they only take ten minutes to master and there wasnt a hill they couldnt tackle.Breakfasts were great in the morning and the few lunches we had really nice.The had a asian influence on the lunch menu and the Pad Thai was better than any I have had in Thailand.The gym we used almost every day and one morning my wife thought she would go at 5.30am (opening time 6am).I saw one of the staff rush after her to open the gym early.We organised a tour guide and driver thru the concierge to a nearby ancient Nickel/gold mining town which is called Kutna hora.The hotel only charges 5% commission to organise these tours which is very cheap.Also in this town was a ossuary a church of bones, well worth a look even though it was a little ghoulish.
Probably the best meal we had of the whole trip was over the charles bridge at the four seasons (only a short walk).Alegro is the name of the restaurant and the food was superb.It is a mitchelin star restaurant and thoroughly deserving of that rating.
All in all Prague and the MO are a very good experience.Kudos to the staff they make the place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lindsay56
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed at MO between 20-23 August. The location is good. Room is specious. The best part of the hotel were the front staff members. We need to special thank to Jana who works in reception and helped us through out our stay. Jiril the best bar man I ever met. Pavel and Tomas were always there to help us book a restaurant, excursions, and transports. We were also lucky enough to have Iveta and Jacuk to serve us in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Thank you all for making our holiday more memorable! You are the best assets of the hotel!!

• Stayed August 2011
Rancho Santa Fe, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

My wife and I spent five days at the Mandarin Oriental Prague to celebrate my birthday following a business engagement in Switzerland. The location of the hotel was perfect to have quick access to the historic sections of the city but yet removed from the noise and crowds of the main squares. The room was fantastic - lots of light through huge windows, a modern bath, and adequate space for us not to get cabin fever. Best of all though was the staff. From the moment we arrived to the time we left we were treated as if guests in someone's home. The concierge, Tomas, even helped me complete a surprise birthday purchase for my wife - which she didn't learn of until a month after we returned home. We are already planning our return trip!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights during our visit to the Austro- Hungarian region over last week of July and the first week of August . It is a tranquil , welcoming and stunning hotel - very nice rooms,good facilities and such comfortable beds!
The hotel was located very close to the Charles Bridge ( loved the fact that you turned a street and you were in the midst of the touristy bustle or got off the bridge and suddenly you were in a nice pretty quiet area), the Old town was a 15-20 min walk and the area around the hotel was pretty- cobbled stones, small cafes very nice. After a long day walking around Prague or coming back after a late dinner ,you felt calm, relaxed and welcome the minute you entered the hotel- still felt like sitting down for a coffee at the outside terrace or a drink at the bar.We ended up doing that every night - my husband and another friend would have whiskys and cigars and I would end up trying the various local drinks or coffee.
The best part of the hotel was the staff and outstanding service - Alena, Sara, Tomas( at the concierge desk ), Ondrej, Iveta, Michaela were so so good. I have forgotten the name of the very nice gentleman who checked us in and promised to find out the names of the beautiful flowers on display at the reception- my apologies. I have to mention 2 people specially - Tomas at the concierge desk who helped us from the minute we arrived with cabs, restaurant reservations ( guided us to the best culinary experience we have had at Sansho) and also offered very valuable advise on the restaurants we had already reserved, very capable guides ( Karl who was good and Dr. Hubert who was outstanding!), saving us from being duped by the cab guy from the train station, helped us make reservations for travelling from Budapest to Vienna and everything in general. No amount of praise will ever be enough. Secondly Ondrej at the bar , who patiently explained the various Czech spirits, how they are had, how the various regions differ, social norms associated with them etc, and also for serving excellent chocolate cookies with my coffee !.
There was only one thing twice I noticed the staff working really long hours - Iveta served us breakfast and was there in the bar late at night when we entered. The same thing had happened the first night when we checked in - I think the persons name was Karl - he served me coffee in the evening and was there at breakfast. I asked both of them but they said it was a one off and they were going to get time off in lieu on the following days. They both smiled and said this so I guess the management does compensate them well but I hope the staff are not overworked.
Compared to some of the previous reviews where people felt they were charged extra for the hotel limo service , every one recommended the taxi service and were happy to call a cab for you. They never insisted on one using the limo service! Just one thing there was free wi fi only in the common areas
All in all for me it was the best hotel we stayed in during our entire 16 day holiday - I had heard so much about the Four Seasons at Budapest but this experience over shadowed that completely.
Whenever we come back to Prague - this is where we will stay. Thank you to MO for making Prague so special and welcoming for us

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

I absolutely loved staying the Mandarin Hotel, so much that I extended my stay. First of all the hotel is beautiful and so tastefully decorated . The simple yet elegant decor fits the beautiful surroundings of the building. The beds are so comfortable and the massage shower is fantastic. Most importantly, the staff is wonderful. They are warm, friendly and intelligent. The concierge gave me wonderful recommendations and could print out tram schedules, arrange tickets for concerts and do just about anything you needed.
Everyone was so authentically nice and the hotel was so relaxing and tranquil. The room was also very quiet. The neighborhood is perfect as well, with Kampa Park just a quick stroll away and the beautiful Petrin Hill nearbye. Plus, if you want to be in the heart of the action, Charles Bridge was a 10 to 15 minute walk as well.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends