“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #26 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Paris, France
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

When we arrived we felt that everyone was waiting for us. It was already the second time for my boyfriend and me at the Mandarin Oriental, Prague. When the doorman opend the door he said: Welcome Back! We have not even said a word and he new who we were. This is pure luxury!!
Upon check-in we got served a traditional Asian welcome tea. Just perfect during these cold days. While we were escorted to our room, the front office agent told us more about the history of the hotel - it is an old monastery! Very beautiful. The room was again just perfect! It was very big, overlooking the garden, clean, and fresh fruits. We almost felt like being home. During breakfast the staff was very attentive and read our wishes straight away. Fresh fruits, bread, cereals - everything what you need for breakfast you will find on the buffet or à la carte. For one evenig we wanted to go to a restaurant that we have been before. It is called NOI. As we experienced it is hard to get a reservation we asked the concierge to assist us. Eventhough it was already fully booked we still received a nice table. A loveyl evening. And I should not forget to speak about the SPA. I was so much looking forward to coming back to this old Renaissance Chapel. Since I entered the Spa I started to relax. Combined with the old remainings of the Gothic church it was again an unforgettable experience. If you plan a weekend with your loved one or maybe as a family trip - I can just recommend it. The location is just perfect-away from the tourist croud but in only 2 minutes at the Chareles Bridge!

Room Tip: Garden Terrace
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Franziska87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Best overall hotel on our trip in january 2012 we stayed at top hotels including some famous ones throughout Europe and this smallish hotel was easily the best overall, staff are some of the best that i have ever come across, we will definately stay there again

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear guest,

Our heartfelt thanks for your review. While we are proud of our hotel’s historic building and modern facilities, it is service which is the true heart of our business. Therefore, your comments are extremely rewarding and we appreciate your taking the time to write them down.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

General manager, Mandarin Oriental, Prague
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Nice hotel (service, location, room).

Internet was expensive and ridiculously slowly (two minutes to load the gmail page and watch a viceo on youtube was impossible).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. While I am glad you appreciated our service, location, and room, I regret that our internet service didn’t meet your expectations. Based on your comment, our IT department has investigated and addressed the loading speed issue.

I wish to mention that while in-room internet service at Mandarin Oriental, Prague is provided for a fee, our non-stop business center provides free internet access to all guests and includes a complimentary printer.

Thank you very much once again for sharing your comments with us; they help us to improve the quality of service we provide our guests.

General manager, Mandarin Oriental, Prague
horsham
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Can only have high praise for the hotel and particularly Gilles the concierge.
We chose the hotel because of its location, reputation including forum reviews and decor. The location was on a quiet cobbled back street of Mala Strana away from the main tourist drag. We went in winter so this would be an even greater requirement in peak season. The bedroom was superb and much larger than most - equivalent to a suite in other hotels. Breakfast was very good. The only minor criticism could that the restaurant is in the former cloister of the former monastery and with low ceilings it was quite noisy.
The concierge responded promptly to our request for romantic places to dine for my birthday and provided a list of 10 locations of varying prices. He booked us tables at 3 chosen from his list and they were all superb. Gilles was very informed about the restaurants and wanted our feedback.
On our final day we discovered our flight had been cancelled by our operator. He made contacts to the airport and endeavoured to rebook our flight while we relaxed and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay, and for your complimentary comments.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you appreciated the peacefulness of our neighbourhood, Malá Strana. Even in peak seasons, the picturesque area surrounding our hotel remains peaceful, yet as you saw, we are still very close to the main attractions.
I am very happy as well to hear that you liked your room and were pleased with our concierge team, especially Gilles who took care of your flight arrangements. Regarding the noise level at the restaurant, on your next visit we would be happy to seat you in one of the restaurant’s smaller rooms which, due to their size, only fit a few tables; this way you will be able to enjoy your meal in a more intimate atmosphere.

Thank you again for sharing your comments with us, and I truly hope to welcome you back in Prague.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2012

The hotel is one of the most attractive places I have stayed in. The architecture is a beautiful restoration of an old monastery. The location is very convinient to most local sights. A five minute walk to the Charles Bridge, not far from the palace either. The staff is fantastic, well informed and very willing to help with directions and tours of Prague.

The restaurant was great had dinner two nights and had a chance to sample their Asian cuisine as well as their Italian dishes. The risotto is to die for... The breakfast is included in the price of the room and it is worth it. There are enough choices to even please the most difficult palate.

I also can recommend the spa. It is truly a sanctuary. I had a facial and a massage both were excellent. I love the quiet and peaceful feeling of the space. As I descended to the spa I felt as if I was going back in time. I loved the hotel so much it was hard to leave. I will definetely come back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear guest,

I am delighted to read all your very positive remarks about your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague. I was delighted to share your comments with my colleagues who appreciated them as much as I did.

Thank you again. We look forward to welcoming you back.

General Manager, Mandarin Oriental, Prague
UK
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Wow, what a stunning place. My first visit to Prague, a few days before Christmas. We enjoyed a private function in the bar, with traditional Czech music and entertainment, and a delicious buffet style dinner. The hotel had also arranged private tours for us around Prague which were exceptional. My wife and I enjoyed an excellent couple’s therapy treatment – the therapists took a lot of time to discuss the treatments with us which was appreciated. I had not researched Prague at all, and really had no idea where the hotel was – but the location is excellent, very close to the historic centre (5 min walk). It is set in a very peaceful location, and overall the hotel seems very tranquil yet still has a buzz about it. The room was very good (and spacious), and we also took advantage of some very well prepared and well equipped business facilities (boardroom etc). I’m not really sure how to fault this place! I wish there had been a swimming pool, and a few more flakes of snow would have been great…! But that really is all I can think of!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your appreciative comments, and for choosing our hotel for your stay in Prague during the magical advent period. I am delighted to hear we managed to meet and perhaps exceed your expectations, and will do our very best to arrange some snow for your next Christmastime visit.

I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of your company next time you visit Prague, a delightful city in any season.

Kind regards,
Edinburgh
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Okay. The hotel is brilliant. Staff are great. Great location..... etc etc etc. That's the summary, but for those who want more detail here it is.

The hotel is a former monastery - something that they don't let you forget in the in room reading material. Actually, pretty interesting history of the building. It is on the south side of the river, about five minutes walk to the Charles Bridge which is the epicentre of the whole of the city. The room was great - everything you might expect in a room that was costing £600 per night. Yes folks, that is the cost of a modest size of room in this hotel. Was it worth it??? Frankly, not really if you need to know the truth. For £600 per night the very least I would expect is to log on to the internet wifi without being skinned for another £15 per day or so. In fact, I would expect to have a lot more in the way of freebies for that price. If i had room to take the bath robes and duvet home with me I would have. Yes, sure it was comfortable. Sure it was well kept. But hey, for that amount in hard earned cash, I would expect nothing less. In fact, for that cash I would have expected to take the duvets home and all the light bulbs as well.

We only ate breakfast in the hotel and it was, well, like breakfast frankly. Good range of food, fresh and beautifully presented. But what I would have expected for the price (did I mention the price before????)

One thing that I found really strange was that I could never get a hot cup of coffee in Prague. It must be a cultural thing... maybe they think that I was in danger of dribbling it all over my chin, or throwing it at someone and were trying to minimise the injury potential. I did not complain, in case they poured it over me to check the temperature. I am sure that if I wanted a hot coffee, they would have got me a hot coffee. Not a big deal but to be honest I couldn't really be bothered making a fuss.

So what is there to do in Prague??? This is chocolate box pretty. But you know how it is after you spend too long looking at a chocolate box. Kind of boring actually. (Oohhh, you philistine I hear those of a cultured disposition shouting). But doing two hours at the "castle" (it's not really a castle at all in the European sense, more a separate town clinging on to the hillside); a couple of trips across the Charles Bridge to take in the musicians - of which at least one group of blues singers was fantastic - a quick look at the old town and BANG. You've done Prague. Another try to wander round the same as the day before and it was pretty much the same as the first time we did it. I don't know if I realistically expected that the next day it would have changed overnight to something more interesting, but it hadn't.

If you stray from the chocolate box bit, you end up in an area that is about as pretty as a pizza box. Tacky, smelly, soggy and it repeats on you again and again. Wenceslas square!!! You heard all about it on the telly. It was the centre of the "velvet" revolution!!! Vaclav Havel stood on a balcony looking out, saying nothing. And you might think it is a place to visit. Well, it aint. It is a wide street with tacky shops on each side that has no atmosphere and indeed no sign saying what it is. Don't waste your time..... I wasted enough for all of us. In fact, when I remember old Vaclav looking out over the "square" I kind of think he was probably saying "listen you lot, this is a dump. Why don't we start this revolution in Vienna instead, at least for the photo shoot?"

I know this is a real downer on Prague, but it is just not doing it for me. It is soulless; and just not cutting the mustard. What is it good for??? If you want to buy endless amounts of tourist tack (and this must be the marionette capital of the world); or be hustled to see a concert (in the way that most other cities try to hustle you in to morally questionable pursuits); or to see the Charles Bridge from every conceivable angle (and it kind of looks the same no matter where you stand for the view of it) then this is worth the visit. But if you want to go, don't plan on spending more than two days and one night there. And for goodness sake, don't expect free wifi even if you are paying more than the cost of a small country's national debt per night.

Room Tip: A castle view room is nice.....
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple