“This is not Mandarin”

Ranked #26 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Hong Kong, China
“This is not Mandarin”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I have been a few of the Mandarin Oriental hotels. All of them have had one common factor, they have all had a fantastic customer service, making sure the customer goes first.
Although staff in general was very supportive, my experience is that if I did not know I was in the Mandarin, I wouldn't have never realised.
It is an expensive hotel, five start, with a fantastic brand so my expectation is to receive that level of service.
Breakfast is average, food in general was average. I wanted to check out 1 30 instead 12 and they just said no..... Even in the most busy cities, they have been good enough to extend the check out for a couple of hours. Hopefully my feedback helps.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gabriel P
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your review with the Trip Advisor community

I regret to read that after your last visit to Mandarin Oriental you did not feel delighted. All our guests comments are extremely important to us. Your feedback regarding the breakfast and a late check-out are well taken indeed, please rest assured that all your valuable comments have been shared with the rest of the hotel team.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

Yours sincerely,

Werner Anzinger,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Being a frequent traveler for both business and pleasure for the last 2 decade; the reason I have always prefer to stay at a Mandarin Oriental is the impeccable service your hotel delivers no matter what part of world I happen to be in.

I recently stayed at your hotel with a large group of my colleagues and clients and our combined experience in your hotel is very dismal. I will only share with you a few situation I have encountered personally.

1. Unprofessional front desk service
I was with my client right after she checked in and have asked the front desk the possibility of switching to a different room. You front desk personnel respond was "he personally think the room was fine" and do not understand my client is making such a fuss.

I simply could not fathom this kind of respond is acceptable in any hotel-hospitality field, let alone for a 5 stars Mandarin Oriental hotel.

2. Anemic door man service
During my full stay, i can count in one hand the times there were a doorman opening/manning the entrance of your hotel.

This really do not speak well for the security for your guest especially I have to walk through the long tunnel to reach my room above the spa building late at night.

3. Food
With exception of breakfast and my 2 lunches at the Essensia…between myself and all my colleagues, I have sampled closed to ALL the selection. The quality of the food is well below average, especially the thai/japanese cuisine. They are overly salty, poorly executed and bare NO RESEMBLANCE of what these simple dishes that ANY WORLD TRAVELER will come to expect.

4. Check out
On the day of my check out, myself and 2 colleagues all have gotten multiple "one ring then hung up phone calls".
Mine started at 8am, then 9, finally the third hung up call at 10. I initially thought it was just someone misdialed my room but I am utterly disgusted when I found out both my colleagues have the same experience.

Is this the kind of tactic you hotel choose to remind your guest to checkout promptly? If I being a guest missed my checkout time then is within your right to bill me for any day of stay.

I have stayed many a time in remote, road side motels and have NEVER BEEN TREATED LIKE SO.
This is the one point that needs to be investigated and stop immediately.
This kind of behavior is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE and A DISGRACE to the Mandarin Oriental franchise.

Instead, your hotel should learn from staff like Karel, Michaela from your dinning room and your staff in the spa.
They understand the demanding natural of business traveler and went out of their way to accommodate our needs and made us feel at home in the hotel.
Their professionalism is what I expect and demand from the Mandarin Oriental hotel chains.

At this point, I will recommend against your hotel for any business or personal stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank magzolaNYC
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your time to discuss your comments in the detail via telephone.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and I would like to assure you that I have shared your feedback with my entire team. I have taken necessary steps that will enhance our usual attention to service towards our guests.

With best regards,
Orem, Utah
Reviewed 22 April 2013

My wife and I spent 5 nights at this hotel in Prague. It is an old Monastery and is a beautiful oasis in the middle of the city. The service is excellent. The rooms are beautiful and well designed. The meals we had there were tasty and well presented. I liked everything about this hotel from the location to the personalized service from everyone. They do a great job but of course you pay for the accommodations and the service. This is a very peaceful hotel and very quiet. The beds were amazing and the turn down service at night was exceptional. If I could have bought one of their pillows I would have. Their breakfasts were wonderful. Besides being a great facility, the people made this place shine.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 321 on the 2nd floor overlooking a beautiful grass and garden area that I had no i...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for investing your time and for sharing such a positive review about your recent stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Prague with the Trip Advisor Community.

I am very delighted to hear that you have spent such a wonderful time with us, especially I was pleased to find out that the hotel location, room ambience, the quality of food and the warm service of our team satisfied and convinced you.

Your kind and enthusiastic comments are our best reward – please rest assured that your compliments have been shared with the rest of the hotel team.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your time and effort, and I sincerely hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Prague soon.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 18 April 2013 via mobile

You may think I'm being petty, but there are some things I'd expect in a 5 star hotel that are sorely missed here:
* Drawers for my smalls! This hotel has nowhere to put folded clothing. No drawers! None!
* A stand alone shower! I almost broke my back trying to rinse my (long) hair in the ludicrously designed over bath shower. Standing on a slope bent over backwards. Ouch!
* A shower you can turn on without having a stand in the bath and get soaked with cold water!
* A make up mirror that isn't fixed to the wall 6"2' high! Do they only expect supermodels to stay here? Perhaps they do. Might explain the bizarre bar menu.
* A doorman! I started here for 7 long days, and struggled with doors, bags, laptops, umbrellas, cases, throughout the stay. If there is a doorman, it would help if he / she actually worked on the door.
I accept that many of you will read this and think I'm being a complete Princess, but if you're staying on business (as I was), I'd suggest you ask those booking your travel to look elsewhere. If you're spending your own hard earned cash, I wouldn't spend it here.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your review with the TripAdvisor community.

I regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I am sorry for the inconvenience and I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss your experience into detail at your earliest convenience.

Please kindly contact me directly by telephone on +420 233 088 701 or by e-mail at the address wanzinger@mohg.com.

With best regards,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I had been here for work before so I knew where it was and how great it was.
So taking my wife to Prague for 2 nights for the first time meant we had to stay here.
From the moment you walk in you are treated so well.
The room was perfect, we were in 304, with a view of the gardens. The bed massive, the room very spacious, big bathroom with shower and bath.
The room was perfectly quiet and dark at night - if there was anything going on in the hotel, we had no idea it was that peaceful
I wish we had stayed longer so we could use the spa experience.

The only downside - which was not the hotel at all was the annoying American tour group that came in, talking to each other like they were on the other side of the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a Garden room
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience of our hotel here on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to read you have enjoyed your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, especially the room ambience, the view to the garden as well as our legendary service. Also, I am happy to read that my colleagues went an extra mile to make your stay as comfortable and peaceful as possible.

I sincerely hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

With my warmest regards,

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We chose this hotel because the spa was suppose to be one of the best in Europe. Well, this hotel had NO disappointments! The location to what we wanted to see in Prague was perfect. The spa experience was heavenly. The gym was great. It was a little crowded at times but just because it was a great gym that everyone wanted to utilize. The rooms were clean even the bathrooms were kept mold free and has a shower big enough for 2. Since Prague is one of few cities that allows smoking inside, this hotel kept smoke smells to a minimum even though there were plenty of smokers.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for investing your time and for sharing such a positive review regarding your recent stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Prague with the Trip Advisor Community.

I am very delighted to hear that you have spent such a wonderful time at our hotel, especially I was pleased to find out that the location of the hotel, the room equipment as well as our Spa and gym totally satisfied and convinced you.

Your kind and enthusiastic comments are our best reward - rest assured that your compliments have been shared with the rest of the Mandarin Oriental, Prague team.

I would once again like to thank you for your time and effort, and sincerely hope to welcome you back to our little “jewel” in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Singapore
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Prague for 4 nights at the end of March 2013. Arriving at Praha Hlavni Nadrazi after a 4.5 hour train ride from Vienna, we stopped by the tourist information office and requested for a taxi at the agreed price of EUR12 (or about 250 Czech crowns; just a quick tip, never hop into a taxi at the taxi rank without first agreeing to the price). The hotel is a short 12 minute ride away. We were greeted by porters at the door, who immediately whisked our luggage away. And thus began the legendary standard of service that is synonymous with the Mandarin Oriental branding across the world.

Arriving slightly before the stipulated check in time, we were immediately shown to our room, where we were greeted with a personalised welcome note and fresh fruit basket. I must say I was somewhat disappointed with the room we were given. I had chosen the Mandarin Oriental over the Four Season due to its history, and was looking forward to a hotel with character and the much vaunted ceilings and flooring that were supposed to hail back to the 14th century. Instead what we were given was a very sterile looking, albeit luxurious and comfortable room. Large king size bed, seating area overlooking a courtyard, large LED TV and marble bathroom. Nothing very individualistic or historic about the room. Perhaps I had not made my requests clear during the booking, so giving the booking staff the benefit of the doubt, and judging the room purely on its own merits, I would rate the room to be nevertheless lovely, spacious, practical and functional in its own right.

As with all Mandarin Oriental Hotels the world over, or rather, the ones I have had the pleasure of staying in, quality of sleep has never been compromised for me. The mattress is extremely comfortable, room was well insulated from noise, and given the unusually cold temperatures, the heated flooring in the bathroom was god-sent. Careful consideration was clearly given in the provision of toiletries and amenities. My criticism would be the lack of coffee and tea making facilities. However, a quick request sent to the front desk was answered with a tray bearing a kettle, some teabags, and teacups and saucers. Generous supply of bottled water was also given during housekeeping in the morning and again during turn down service in the evening.

Location of the hotel is stellar. Tucked into a quiet corner on Nebovidska street, it is but a hop skip and jump away from the Charles Bridge. Crossing the Charles Bridge to the old town is a short 8 minute stroll away, but will definitely take much longer than that since the architecture does bot fail to take my breath away! The Mandarin Oriental provides a quiet serene sanctity away from the teeming humanity that surrounds the old town square, yet close enough should we choose to become part of it. Prague castle is very close by, about a 10-15 minute (uphill) walk. So most sightseeing was easily accessible and possible on foot. In any case, calling a taxi from the hotel is never a problem, since the hotel works with a reputable taxi company. All our taxi rides from the hotel were metred.

We had breakfast at the hotel's Essensia restaurant every morning. Breakfast is buffet style, the spread is nothing to shout about, but substantial enough for us to start the day.

Service was wonderful, staff very friendly and helpful. Concierge managed to secure a very good table for us at an popular restaurant at very short notice.

All in all, a very pleasant stay, and we will be back when we are next in Prague, although I am definitely going to request for a different room!

Room Tip: Place a request specifically for a historic room, otherwise you will get one of the standard normal...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WYMC
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review and positive comments following your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

I am very pleased to read that you have overall enjoyed our hotel, including its location, the room facilities and especially our legendary service. Please be assured that your positive comments have been shared with the rest of the team.

Once again, thank you for your review and endorsement. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you to Mandarin Oriental, Prague during your next trip to the Golden City.

With warm regards,