“Very mixed”

Mandarin Oriental, Prague
Ranked #23 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We booked 3nights at the MO for a valentine break. Prior to arrival I booked the bar for dinner on our first night as we just planned to stay in the hotel chill. On arrival we were advised that we had to vacate the bar by 9 pm as it was booked for a function so this was very disappointing. The following morning we missed breakfast by around 5 minutes and requested so requested it by room service. An hour went by and we telephoned we told that it had been forgotten. The duty manager apologised and said that they had been very busy and gave our friends and us complimentary drinks in the bar which were probably the best cocktails that we have had. I also pre ordered rose petals for turn down for valentines night but they did not arrive again very disappointing. The bathroom was lovely with a great large marble bath but the room it self was rather stark and basic not what I have experienced at other MO hotels. The spa vitality pool came at a cost of £40 for 20 mins per person and as there were not tea and coffee facilities in the room we were charged £ 8 for two cups of mediocre coffee!! On a positive note the staff team were lovely. We will be returning to Prague in May but not to the MO they really do have a long way to go to come up to the excellent standard that we have experienced in this group

Room Tip: Do not book a garden room they are very basis and not a beam or parquet floor in sight
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah P
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with the TripAdvisor community.
I regret to read that we did not meet your expectations. All our guests’ feedback is extremely important to us; please rest assured that your comments were shared and discussed within the entire hotel team.

Also, thank you for your positive comments about the attentive service of my colleagues and delicious cocktails at the Barego bar.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to our beautiful hotel and live up your expectations.

With best regards,

There are newer reviews for Mandarin Oriental, Prague

Reviewed 13 February 2014

When I select a hotel, I, probably like you, am attracted by web site photos of the property and the proximity of the hotel to sights. However, what makes a stay memorable invariably comes down to the individuals who work for the hotel. The staff of the Mandarin Oriental Prague were very gracious and warm to me and my daughter during our recent stay at the hotel. At least six staff members new us by name (and we, in turn, knew their names). Speaking with them at the beginning or end of the day made the stay very personal and special. The Mandarin Oriental Prague is a 5-star hotel run with the warmth and graciousness of a small inn. No matter the duration or challenges of your day, you will always be rejuvenated the moment that you walk into the door of the hotel to the smiles and kind words of the staff. Our breakfasts and dinners at the hotel were outstanding. Our room was large and very well appointed. The windows of our room opened to a quiet and expansive garden. I found a long, quiet corridor filled with couches and comfortable chairs to draft papers. The concierge arranged private tours of the city for us and made dinner recommendations and reservations that turned out to be impeccable experiences in their own right. The hotel enjoys a fabulous location – a quiet area of the city just a short walk from the Charles Bridge. I heartily recommend the Mandarin Oriental Prague as one of the finest hotels that I have ever stayed. Although my breadth of experiences is inadequate to buttress the claim, I suspect that the Mandarin Oriental Prague is one of the great hotels of the world. We can’t wait to return.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the garden.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MarkK_12

Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience with Mandarin Oriental, Prague with the TripAdvisor community.

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and that Prague and our hotel lived up your expectations. You can count on our team to make you feel home away from home any time your travels bring you back to Prague to our "little jewel.

Thank you again for your kind words of appreciation, it means a world for us.

I am sincerely looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This hotel is perfectly placed for exploring Prague's many attractions. Not far from Charles Bridge and the river in a quiet and beautiful backwater away from the cars and trams of the city it makes a good base for visits to the castle and cathedral area, the great Baroque church of St Nicholas, and the old town across the river. The hotel is very comfortable with good beds and linen, serves excellent breakfasts and the staff are friendly and efficient. I cannot believe there is a better hotel in Prague. I would like to return some day.

Room Tip: I liked my room on the first floor which leeds on to a courtyard garden.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank stcolms
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your generous review on your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

Prague is a magnificent city with many historical monuments and I am delighted to read that we helped to make your stay in Prague a memorable one. It was a real pleasure having you as our guests and you can count on us to find the comfortable bed, excellent breakfast selection as well as smiling and attentive hotel staff on your return.

I look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back to our “little jewel”.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

this hotel is a former monastery. rooms ar big. service is great! food is great! cant say anything treally a wonderful perfect quiet place to rest and stay. easy accesibility by walking to nearest church, small shops, town,, very very good.I am really satisfied and impressed

Room Tip: all rooms are big.:))
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank maria isabel c
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Maria Isabel,

Thank you very much for your positive review on your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

It is a pleasure for me to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our „little jewel“.

With warm regards,

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I stayed in Prague for two nights over the New Year. The staff were walm and welcoming and very professional. The hotel is tucked away in a very quiet location but is just a few minutes walk from the historical attractions. The concierge made some great recommendations.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jamescrichards
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear James,

Thank you very much for your review on your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

It was a great pleasure having you as our guests and I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind words of appreciation. It is a great encouragement for us and please rest assured that I have shared it with all my colleagues.

I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We stayed here for three days last week. Service is wonderful in all areas. Check in/ breakfast/ concierge etc. Rooms large with great bathrooms. Breakfast buffet very nice. Nothing too much trouble it seemed. A problem with lost wallet attended to sympathetically and efficiently, ( thanks Christiana). Handed in to police so ended well!! My only complaint would be paying for internet services. This isn't unusual I know but just seems a bit absurd in 2014.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ambohare

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague and for sharing it with the TripAdvisor community.

It is a pleasure for me to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay. You can count on our team to make you feel home away from home and assist you with any unpredictable situation. Thank you for bringing up to my attention also the comment about Internet access. You are right, the Internet in the rooms is charged, however, we offer a free Wi-Fi in hotel’s public areas and fully equipped business center. To complete the information; all our guests who book directly and create a profile via our web site also receive the Internet in the rooms free of charge.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our „little jewel“.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We traveled to Prague during December to partake in their annual Christmas market. It was our first time traveling to Prague and we weren't sure which hotel to choose. Upon entering the gates of the Mandarin Oriental, we knew we made the right decision. The hotel staff was very welcoming and the concierge was always going above and beyond to make sure we got around with ease. I've read some of the reviews stating this particular Mandarin Oriental doesn't seem to live up to it's moniker; however, I'd have to disagree. The Mandarin Oriental Prague exudes character and is brimming with history that cannot be found in just any hotel. Throughout our stay in Europe, we stayed in several different 5 star properties, but the Mandarin Oriental Prague holds a special place in our hearts because of it's uniqueness and UNPARALLELED attention to service. Their staff is by far some of best we have ever encountered. We highly recommend this property and look forward to returning again very soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul C
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Paul C.,

Thank you very much for your generous review on your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague and for sharing it with the TripAdvisor community.

I feel honored to read that we gained a new Mandarin Oriental, Prague fan. You can rely on our team to make you feel home away from home any time your travels bring you back to our "little jewel".

It was a pleasure having you as our guest and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.