“best bed in Prague”

Mandarin Oriental, Prague
Ranked #23 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 23 June 2014

As a business traveler I truly appreciate a good nights sleep and I have to say the beds at the Mandarin Oriental in Prague were the best that I have found in the city. The staff is top notch and the location cant be beat. It has a nice Gym, and the bar is ok a little dark and low ceiling for my taste. But as most mandarin orientals it is a quality hotel.

Room Tip: don't face the parking lot is about all I can say.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague and for sharing it with the TripAdvisor community.

It is a pleasure for me to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, including hotel’s superb location, well equipped gym as well as the attentive service of my colleagues. Foremost, I am delighted that our comfortable beds met your expectations and brought you desired sleep.

Your kind words of appreciation mean the world to us.

I am sincerely looking forward to your next visit to our „little jewel“.

Werner Anzinger

Write a ReviewReviews (1,441)

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Selected the Mandarin Oriental in Prague as a result of reviews on TripAdvisor for the hotel to stay on my wife's 60th birthday for her birthday trip to Europe.

The staff and the service were impeccable.

We had a wonderful stay from the time we entered the hotel and the front desk greeted my wife indicating that they had been expecting her and wished her a happy birthday until we left three days later.

I have stayed at lots of fine hotels around the world, and to me it is about the quality of the staff - and I would put the quality of the staff at the Mandarin Oriental in Prague at the top.

Thank you for a wonderful stay.

I highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such a heartwarming review on your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

It was a real pleasure having you and your wife as our guest and host you during this important occasion. Shall your travels bring you back to Prague, you can count on our team to provide the legendary service Mandarin Oriental is renowned for.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our „little jewel“.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

When booked into this hotel by our travel agent we were pleased to read that the hotel was a converted monastery and, according to the hotel website, that our rooms would "feature period details reflecting the unique history of the hotel." Two of the hotel's wings are referred to as the Renaissance and Baroque wings. We were two couples traveling together and, although placed in different wings (a little strange since our reservations were made months earlier) neither of our rooms felt very different than those of a Marriott. Although deluxe rooms, one of them had only a single sink and a bathtub (no shower) and neither had the described views that "stretch over the cobbled streets of Mala Strana." The location of the hotel is very nice, close to Prague Castle as well as close enough to the Charles Bridge to easily walk to the Old Town Square and its attractions. Service was pleasant. The buffet breakfast that was included in our plan was only average. We did not have any other meals at the hotel. I would like to note that U Modre Kachnicky, where we had a lovely meal, is only a half a block away.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank starmom19
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on Mandarin Oriental, Prague with the Trip Advisor community.

You are right, our hotel is housed in a complex of historical buildings which used to serve as a Dominican Monastery. Throughout the reconstruction of the site all rooms were designed to respect the requirements of a modern lifestyle, while preserving some historical features of the original building and I regret to read that the design and the layout of your room did not meet your expectations.

Thank you for bringing a comment about the allocation of the rooms to our attention. Generally, unless a special request regarding the room allocation is received, we do not assume that two individual couples wish to stay close to each other. I am really sorry for any inconvenience caused and to avoid this situation in the future, I would suggest you to specify your requirements during the reservation process or any time before your arrival. My colleagues will be more than happy to meet your wishes, if the hotel occupancy allows them to do so.

Once again, thank you for an honest feedback, all our guests’ comments are extremely important to us and please rest assured they were shared and discussed within the hotel team.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

With best regards,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The hotel is in a converted monastery inside a walled compound in Prague's embassy district. The hotel is very nice. They gave us a free upgrade (without being asked) to a large corner room. Everything about the room is upscale, with a large bathroom with separate bath and shower and lots of counter space. Our rate included breakfast, which was very good. All of the staff (front desk, concierge, bellmen, waitresses and housekeeping) were very friendly and helpful. They made our stay particularly nice.

Be aware that the hotel is across the river from the Old Town tourist area, requiring a walk across the often very crowded Charles Bridge. The bridge is a five-minute walk from the hotel. However, Prague Castle is on the same side of the river as the hotel and is only about 15 uphill minutes' walk away. The Old Town Square (with the famous astronomical clock) is about 20 minutes' walk from the hotel. We found that, at any given time, about 90 percent of the tourists were in Old Town. The Castle area was busy but not crowded and was full of interesting things to see.

We found the Mandarin Oriental to be very luxurious, but in a pleasant, low-key sort of way.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time to write a review on your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

Prague is a magnificent city indeed and Mandarin Oriental, Prague an oasis of tranquility in the very heart of the city. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and I am delighted to read that my team helped to make your stay in Prague a memorable one. Thank you for highlighting the hotel location, the comfort of our rooms as well as the attentive service of my colleagues.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the ‘Golden City’ in the near future.

With warm regards,

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was simply the best hotel in Eastern Europe! An old renovated monastary with underground tunnels to different building! Best part were room, ultra modern bathrooms! Jacuzzi tubs for two! Beds were very comfortable with great linens!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review on your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

I feel so honoured to read that you enjoyed your time at our ‘little jewel’. Thank you for highlighting the comfort of our rooms that respect the historical heritage of the hotel as well as complying with the demands of the modern lifestyle. The underground tunnel was constructed to connect the hotel with the Spa, which is located in former Renaissance chapel.

I am sincerely looking forward to your next visit to the Golden city.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This beautiful hotel carved out of a former monastery in the 'Small Town' district is in a quiet,historic enclave but a short walk to the Charles Bridge and is the perfect haven for a stay in Prague.Our garden fronting room was spacious and extremely well appointed with very comfortable beds,a great bathroom and good broadband/TV etc.
The public rooms,bar,restaurant and terrace have an intimate scale and are well furnished we ate a number of good meals with interesting international food and sampled a variety of new to us Czech wines.
Without doubt the major plus is the staff,particularly the front desk and concierge amazingly competent,charming and helpful.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for a garden facing room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with Mandarin Oriental, Prague with the TripAdvisor community.

It is a pleasure for me to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, including our beautifully designed room and the superb location of the hotel enjoying quiet neighbourhood in the very heart of the Prague’s historic centre. Moreover, I am pleased to read you had a chance to experience the relaxing ambience of our outdoor terrace, Essensia and Barego bar and the delicious food from our executive chef Jiri Stift. Foremost, I am extremely happy that we had a chance to introduce to you our wide selection of wines from local Czech wineries.

It was a real pleasure having you as our guest and you can count on our team to make you feel home away from home any time your travels bring you back to our ‘little jewel’.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is beautiful. A mix of different architectural styles, steeped in history, in a charming, quiet area, it is a wonderful oasis near all the action. For the most part, the staff were the picture of excellent customer service and there are the expected luxury items in the bathrooms and public areas that one would expect of a 5* hotel.

I was actually quite ready to leave, however, as I could not sleep very well here. Firstly, the beds are not high quality. The pillows are particularly awful; they were barely filled and had no effect in raising one's head. Even doubled up, and folded over, they were useless. I requested a different style of pillow and received a foam filled one with the same consistency. Considering even Hilton hotels offer pillow menus, with a variety of choices, this hotel could improve in this area.

It was around 20 degrees celsius for our stay, not hot out particularly, but our room was very stuffy. The air conditioning unit was not sufficient enough for the size of the room. Factoring the bed, the pillows and the stuffiness, we were uncomfortable. We spoke to the front desk about the air con possibly being broken we were told that "no, it is working, but when it is warm out, the air conditioning has a hard time cooling down the room". No kidding. Perhaps that is a sign that it should be replaced. This is a 5* hotel afterall.

Friends staying in the "modern rooms" commented that the air con in their rooms was different and very efficient, so should you stay in the summer, request one of these rooms.

The hotel bar was exceptionally expensive and nothing spectacular. There are great places for food and drinks steps away from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard. The street rooms can be a bit noisy. If traveling in the su...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with the Trip Advisor community.

I regret to hear that our beds did not meet your expectations and that you did not find the air-conditioning in your room sufficient. Each room has a pillow menu with nine different types and I apologize that the choice did not meet your demand. All your comments are extremely valuable for us and please rest assured they were shared and discussed within the hotel team.

Once again, I am sorry for the inconvenience and I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss your experience into detail at your earliest convenience. Please kindly contact me directly by e-mail at the address wanzinger@mohg.com.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our ‘little jewel’ and live up your expectations.

With best regards,