“A superb experience with excellent staff and wonderful surroundings”

Mandarin Oriental, Prague
Ranked #23 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 1 April 2009

We spent an excellent three days between Wednesday March 19th and 22nd March 2009 in the hotel.

The location and history of the buildings are fascinating, and modern design complements its history. Our room was spacious and extremely comfortable.

The staff were all courteous, and did everything they could to ensure that our needs were met. The evening concierge was particularly helpful. The food both at breakfast and dinner was delicious and promptly served. The restaurant and bar staff were also helpful and friendly.

I would also like to draw particular attention to the private guided tour which was organized through the hotel. The guide, Dr Hubert Palan, was knowledgeable and his English was excellent. His tour was informative, and blended the complex history of this beautiful city with facts and figures about the Czech capital and its architecture. I learnt much about Prague, its rulers and religion. I walked around the city and took time to notice, and used public transport - activities that I would not have done by myself as a solo female (as my husband was working while I relaxed). I will certainly recommend his services to my friends when they next visit Prague.

I should also mention the Spa, which I used and thoroughly enjoyed. It was a truly relaxing experience. The therapy was cleansing and stimulating. I also felt that the design of the Spa facilities was both modern and sympathetic to the original religious order which first used the site.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank lynda002

Reviewed 27 March 2009

The Mandarin group are top class hotels and the one in Prague is up to that standard. The quality of the rooms and guest service is excellent. Staff could not do more for you including providing a tour of the hotel's renovations project which saw an historic monastary converted to a high standard modern hotel whilst retaining many artifacts and remnants of the historic building.

It has a top quality spa but we did not use that. The restaurant provided a very high quality meal on the one night we "ate in".

Location-wise - the hotel is about 5 minutes walk from the Charles Bridge in the Mala Strana quarter of the city and is also near to the tram services on Ujest St.

Quality of this level does not come cheap!! We benefited from a three nights for the price of two via Expedia. But excellent value.

We also used the Prague Airport Services pre-booked taxi service from and to the airport. This was excellent and spot-on timewise.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dennis9
Reviewed 13 March 2009

A genuinely superb hotel in a great spot in Prague. As you would expect at this sort of price level, the service is absolutely first rate - all of the staff are charming and very attentive. We were even given an hour long tour of the hotel which is fascinating if you get the chance. Room was equally excellent and the building itself is stunning - very very tastefully done out.
We ate one night in Essensia which again was excellent and the only real gripe I could have is that the cost of drinks etc.. in the room and in the bar is eye watering to say the least. Then again, I suppose if you can afford to stay here... It is worth keeping an eye out for deals though - it was a definite treat for us but only managable through a 3 for 2 night offer on the room. All in all though, fantastic place for a special break.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gosforth_Ultra
Reviewed 10 March 2009

We have just returned from a wonderful stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Prague. The hotel is a converted monastery and the building exudes calm the moment you enter. The staff are extremely courteous and attentive, as you would expect from Mandarin Oriental. The rooms are modern and fresh. The buffet breakfast was excellent and their Indonesian dinner menu was divine. The hotel is in a quiet location just across the Charles Bridge, perfect for the visiting the castle, but only a 15 minute walk across the bridge to the old town square. This is a top class hotel and we loved every minute there.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elaine18
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I had the pleasure of staying at the Mandarin Oriental in Prague in the summer of 2007...I have visited Prague about 5 times over the last 5 years and have stayed at many of the top hotels but none of them were even close to the Mandarin (Four Seasons Prague included)...The hotel is in a converted monastery on the Mala Strana (small side), same side of the city as the Castle...The decor and finish of the hotel accentuate the locations's past but manages to incorporate some modern touches...Rooms are comfortable and the spa is excellent and manages to blend into its surroundings (its housed in the former chapel of the monastery)....My only negative comment would be that for a first time visitor I think the other side (Old Town) is better...That being said the Mala Strana has its charms and is less crowded...All and all, its the best hotel I have stayed at in Eastern Europe (Copernicus in Krakow the only other one I would consider) and is at the top of my list for urban hotels in Europe...Prague itself is lovely but is a bit touristy (was much different in 1997 when I went the first time)...Things were a bit too manicured, almost like Epcot Center-Czech Republic...That being said, it is a great place for a long weekend and definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bobd72
Reviewed 7 January 2009

This was our first time staying at a Mandarin Oriental hotel and what a wonderful stay. From the moment we checked into the hotel to the day we checked out 4 days later, we truly felt the 5* experience. They even put a chocolate cake in our room as a special treat knowing it was my birthday! I would highly recommend this hotel in Prague anytime.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank susanj1310
Reviewed 5 January 2009

I stayed here for 4 nights in early December for a nice little getaway with my girlfriend before work got hectic. It was a perfect vacation. The hotel is clean and well appointed. It is a serene location in Mala Strana and a short walk to Prague Castle and the Charles Bridge. First I would recommend having the hotel car pick you up and drop you off at the airport ( its a Mercedes S550). The driver was polite, on time, courteous, friendly and takes care of everything until your bags are in your room and checked in a the hotel. When you check in, hotel staff is waiting for you with tea and bring you directly to you room, no checking in at a desk. Every single staff member knows your name.....the concierges knew this even before i spoke to them. By the way, they are wonderful, both concierges were very knowledgeable, friendly and made our trip very enjoyable. The rooom was clean and the bathroom was lovely. THere was turndown service twice a day and they provide bottles of water at each nightstand....FREE. This may sound silly, but its a wonderful idea. Little things like that make a big difference. I always stay at 5 star hotels/resorts, but this was a first. I will never stay at another hotel in Prague other than the MO. This was my first Mandarin Oriental stay and im definitely a customer for life.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple