“Superb”

Mandarin Oriental, Prague
Ranked #20 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Great location and super service all round by far the best in Prague, also the Excellent General Manager we stayed from the 10 to 12 september. The Cocierge advised us to see teh Lobowitz museum and he was correct to do so it was outstanding at prague castle, we asked information about the trains and how long to the station and we were correctly advised. breakfast was excellent aswell.
We shall be back!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,476)

Reviewed 24 September 2010

We were in Prague for a 3-day getaway and chose the Mandarin Oriental based on our previous experience with the hotel. We were not disappointed this time either. The hotel opened four years ago so the hardware is relatively new. The room was spacious, as was the bathroom, with all the amenities/toiletries in place. Our room faced the inner courtyard so it was very quiet and with substantial sunlight. I always like it when there is a DVD player in the room, so I was happy to see it in place.

In terms of location, it is located on the quieter side of the Charles Bridge and is only about a 5 to 10 minute walk from the bridge. I definitely liked being on the quieter side of the bridge since Prague is pretty crazy + crowded with tourists as anyone would testify.

What we liked especially was the breakfast, with a nice selection of breads, pastries, fruits, cold cuts, etc. With a hotel of this caliber, you can expect little touches such as homemade jam, and personally, these are the small things that make the difference for me. You can also order eggs or French toast. I had the French toast the first day, which was excellent, and then eggs benedict the second, which was so-so.

Internet connection is available but pricey (about 25 euros as I recall). You can also use the computers in the businss center (open 24 hours) free of charge.

The concierge recommended an excellent Italian restaurant "Aromi", which was excellent. At first a reservation was not possible (fully booked they said) but we went to the restaurant anyway and had no problems getting a table. Go figure.

Maybe we'll check out the Four Seasons next time, but we definitely had a pleasant stay here.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Family-C-L
Reviewed 31 August 2010

We stayed at the oriental in august for three nights. The service was outstanding and so was the food and the rooms. Spa treatments were also good but pricy. Their conference facilities was the only thing the wasn´t quite what I expected because of the acoustics in the conference rooms. Imagine a conference in a cathedral, beautiful but kind of tough on your ears.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2010

We arrived in Prague after a not so good experience at Mandarin Oriental in Munich so we we're a bit concerned. Check in was fast and our room was bright and spacious. We we're travelling with my son and they had made the effort of child proofing EVERY sharp corner in the entire room, perhaps not entirely necessary but an increadible display of attention to detail. My son was not feeling well and the concierge went out to buy medicine for my son and a mobile phone card for me, again great service that was much appreciated. Room service made special orders that were not on the menue to cater for my son and all the food was very tasty.

On the second day of our stay my son was very ill and the concierge managed to have a doctor in my room within 30 minutes. The doctor had all the medecine that my son needed and within a couple of hours he was feeling much better and soon my son could again enjoy his holiday. This was very well managed by the concierge and I really appreciated it.

The hotel is nicely located and everything is very beautiful and tasteful. The breakfast has a good selection and the team serving inside the restaurant was very friendly and professional, for example my son got nice child plates and cuttlery as soon as he sat down. On one occassion at breakfast a man came up and offered my son a couple of toy cars, much appreciated by my son and I love this kind of proactive and thoughtful service.

I have only 2 negative remarks which is why I don't give this otherwise very good hotel full marks. One day we we had breakfast outside, the waiter serving out there didn't provide any plates for my son despite us asking twice for them to be provided, I asked him for a soft boiled egg but instead of placing an order with the kitchen he just went and got a hard boiled egg from the buffet and the service he provided was generally slow and poor. None of this was a huge issue but it was not at all at par with the outstanding service we received at breakfast every other day of our stay.

My second disapointment was when we asked the concierge to arrange a guided walking tour of Prague, this cost CZK900 per hour which is quite high but ok if it's of a high quality. They said that they had booked a very experienced guide. The person that showed up was 7 months pregnant and had difficulty walking, she didn't speak very good English and she didn't seem very knowledgable since she was unable to answer many questions. At the end of the tour she asked my wife to bring back CZK350 to give the concierge "their cut". My wife declined to do so since any such arrangements should be between her and the concierge/hotel. Unfortunately since the hotel is keeping a large proportion of what you pay for the guide you get a mediocre guide at a premium price. Through a friend I managed to arrange guided tours with a professor of history at Prague University and he spoke perfect English, was very knowledgable, sociable and charged less than the hotel. I do however not think that guests should have to rely on their personal network to get in touch with top quality guides when they stay in MO.

Overall this was a very good hotel where we experienced many examples of excellent service. It was a much better experience than MO in Munich and I could certainly recommend this hotel to anyone though there are many other good hotels in Prague.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
MandarinOriental_PRG, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2010

Dear guest,

Thank you for your message. We very much appreciate your comments on your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Prague and we have been delighted to learn that in general, you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We are keen to receive astute feedback so that in the future we can delight our guests even more.

I was sorry to hear there were few points, about which you did not feel quite as delighted as you should have been. I would be pleased to discuss those topics with you at your convenience, as I sincerely hope we can provide you with a sufficient explanation. Please kindly contact me directly by telephone on +420 233 088 701 or by e-mail at the address clemensh@mohg.com.

I look forward to hearing from you soon and welcoming you, your family and friends back to the ”Golden City” and Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

Yours sincerely,

Clemens Hoerth

Mandarin Oriental, Prague
Nebovidska 459/1
118 00 Praha 1
Czech Republic

Reviewed 3 August 2010

I travel a lot for business, visit a lot of hotels in many cities! In my opinion a 5 star hotel is a 5 star hotel sometimes the surrounding or area makes the difference! But service anfd feeling "home"makes it complete, the differences! This hotel understands what makes the service!!! Thanks to the totall crew for hospiallity, so many times of my visits. If you want to relax and vist the beautiful city if Praque, go for the Mandarin it makes your days!
Use the Spa and understand how relaxed and professional it is, you will feel Top after the experience!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I stayed at this hotel in July with my wife. I got a 2 4 1 as i booked with AmEx and also a room upgrade at booking and another on arrival, which is why i thought it was pretty good value. We ended up with a one bedroom suite, which was perfect apart from the over bath shower. It is a massive bathroom with a lot of space for a shower so why it is over the bath i just don't know.
You can not beat the service, even the maid who i passed in the hall way knew my name. At breakfast the 2nd day they knew what drinks we wanted.
We did have to wait at check in but we were offered a drink in the bar. On a Friday evening they also do free beer tasting and on Saturday a historical tour of the hotel. There is free WiFi in the lobby, bar and restaurant and wired Internet in the rooms. Nice little touches, which make you think they are not taking advantage all the time.
The location is very quiet but only 5 minutes walk to Charles Bridge.
We had a free meal in the restaurant, which was nice, but not special.
The spa is good, i don't think the best in Europe and expensive, but if you can afford it why not?
All in all highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeedsWorldTraveller
Reviewed 25 July 2010

The location of the Mandarin-Oriental in Prag is ideal to experience both the shopping side and the historic side with the Hradschin. The Reception Staff was extremely helpful during check-in and room assistance. Room itself was huge with a nice inner-courtyard view. The bathroom was huge as well with giant shower, seperate bathtub and was covered allover with marble.
The most memorable breakfast I ever had in my life! Selection was not as huge as at the Adlon in Berlin, but the quality was just the best! Especially the home made smoothies were great - try the mangoo-one, it was just delicious!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo