“Cheap stay, don't expect too much” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of A&O Prag Metro Strizkov

A&O Prag Metro Strizkov
Ranked #485 of 667 Hotels in Prague
Nelson, New Zealand
“Cheap stay, don't expect too much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Was good value. Room was nice and clean, had some free towels provided, free luggage storage, great breakfast spread when you pay for it. Expect to pay for most if not all extras - sheets and towels were only provided for some beds in the room and some of us had to pay to hire them, table tennis and fussball was expensive, in room wifi expensive. Service was pretty average, had to argue and with receptionist to get our breakfast included (as advertised!) - ended up talking to someone else to get it included. Reeeeeeally slow service. We got locked out of our room at 11pm and had to wait for about over half an hour at the reception desk to get someone to let us in. No aircon or fan in room!!! This was a massive problem as it was over 30 degrees at night and we sweated our way through the night without being able to sleep. There were apparently fans to hire but were none left when we asked.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Rosie M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

I've stayed at this place for two nights with a friend. We needed just a place for sleep, so we didn't want to pay much money. The first impression was just awful - we spent about one hour and a half in a queue for check-in. And after that we couldn't make a check-in because we must pay and do it local currency. So I was very disappointed. But after all in the late evening we finally got our room. And I was very surprised to find clean and nice room, with enough space for two of us. Everything worked ok in the room and bathroom. The breakfast wasn't really big. But it was quite ok. In my opinion if you are going to visit Prague and want to spend most of the time in the city, not in the room - so this hotel could be a place for short and cheap stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Anastasiia M
Wroclaw, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

I read a couple of reviews of this hotel and sometimes I can't belive it. If you are searching for a cheap accomodation outside the city, you read about the location and amenities, you google up all the information you need - you decide to book it - just don't complain about the fact, that you found all those things on place. Do you expect that somehow it will be closer to the city center than it was written or that they will dig out the pool just before your arrival? Come on, don't expect such things and don't write the negative opinions.
I can tell that my stay in Fortuna Luna was decent and I got everything that I expected. Late night I picked up a friend from the Prague airport and I knew, that I will be tired to get back home so I booked it and we arrived late at night - no problem for the reception desk, they were kind and calm. The room was normal, decent, sheets were clean, toilette was clean so I will not complain about the wall paintings.
I would only advice the hotel to change the check out hours - 10 a.m. was too early for me and I felt weak after a few drinks the previous evening..
Greetings for the staff of Fortuna Luna, who was really nice.
One more thing - I was looking for a cheap lodging and it was so cheap!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sendmeasmile
Lima, Peru
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

I was very disappointed during my journey in this hostel one week ago. Most of all employees at the counter could not help me at all and I could barely understand them. I asked to clean the room I was sleeping, because it was smelling REALLY BAD and nothing happened during the 4 days I stayed. Then, since I'm member of the ADAC Club I was suposed to get 12% discount plus a welcome drink. When I arrived I only got 10% and nobody offered me anything. After I read again the profits of my membership, which I wasn't 100% sure but remember somehow, I wanted to talk to the manager, who never showed up, like almost during the weekend. At the end I asked an employee at the counter about my free "welcome drink" altough I was leaving and had a soft drink.
I've stayed in an other A&O Hostel in Nurnberg and everything was better. Another negative point is how to get to the hostel. When I arrived to Stizkov Station, I saw some guidesignes to get to the hostel: don't trust the last sign because it makes you get confused. If I would go to Prag I would better stay near the Old Square, paying a little more, but saving the train ticket, which actually, added to what I payed at the hostel, would cost almost the same.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Juan P
AO_Support, Leiter Gästebetreuung at A&O Prag Metro Strizkov, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Dear Juan,

thank you very much for your feedback!

Your comments are highly appreciated, as we are constantly striving to improve our services and meet our guests’ expectations.

We are very sorry that you encountered problems during your stay at the A&O Prague.

We apologize for the unsatisfactory cleaning you experienced in your room during your stay.
At A&O, we place a great emphasis on cleanliness, so the rooms are cleaned on a daily basis.
The irregular cleaning was reported to our external cleaning company and we will continue to monitor this issue, to ensure that it will not occur again.

I have also forwarded your complaint to the hotel manager, she will inform her employees again how the ADAC discount works.

As you have written a feedback ticket to our central customer support as well, we have also responded to you in both ways.

We hope you appreciate our efforts and look forward to welcoming you again at A&O HOTELS and HOSTELS.

Kind regards,

Your A&O Customer Support

Travellers are raving about these Prague hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

In my experience this was the absolute worst stay I have ever had in a hostel period. I was not expecting a 5 star hotel for the price of a hostel, however it was very expensive to stay at this place. The beer was more expensive at the hostel bar then any restaurant we visited in the city center and the breakfast was not worth the price paid. Not mention the hostel is very far away from the city center and it is not easy to get back to the hostel at night time. We did not feel safe in this area where the hostel is located and there is absolutely nothing to doing in the area. My recommendation is... do not waste your money on this ugly money hungry hostel. Find a place that is closer to the city of Prague.

Room Tip: Find another Hostel closer to the city of Prague.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank AndyS412
AO_Support, Leiter Gästebetreuung at A&O Prag Metro Strizkov, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Dear Andy,

thank you for your honest feedback. We're sorry to hear that you didn't seem to like your stay with us. Our prices depend on the category you've booked. Naturally, the hostel standard is very low-priced and our 3*** hotel standard is comparable with any 3*** hotel in Prague.

You are, of course, right noting that our beer at the bar costs a bit more than in Czech restaurants/clubs. Prague is known to offer beer even cheaper than water. It is therefore difficult to stay competitive in the hotel industry. You may ask other hoteliers and they would tell you the same.

Nevertheless, we appreciate your comments and take it to heart.

Our location is very handy for business people and groups as they prefer the proximity to the fair and congress centre and the space within the building for larger groups.

We have put a lot of effort into renovating the whole complex; the rooms and service are outstanding, also the beergarden with entertainment facilities in summer. The outside look of the building is not yet A&O standard but will be in 2014. To us, it is the comfort within the hotel that matters first.

In February, we have had a special deal where we've sold each room for only 5€. No matter if single, family or multi-bed room. We would like to dissociate ourselves from your argument of being 'money hungry'. Our accommodation is as fair-priced as most other Prague hotels and hostels.

We'd love to have you as our guest again in one of our other hotels and hostels in Germany and Austria. You will see that we offer a very central location (almost always next to the central train station) and super prices.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Kind regards,
Your A&O support team
Brasov, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

We paid 25 euro for a night, i am a person who stayed in 4 star hotels, hostels, even in cheap motels and did not die....this time we were on o low budget. My boyfriend and i were very pleased with our staying, the bed was great, the location was ok, we took the subway wich we quite enjoyed and were in a few minutes in the center of Prague. The food was not the best but we do have to understand that you can t get caviar for the price you pay. The staff was great, especially one of the concierges, very helpfull, he even took the time to draw us a map as i have very bad orientation skills...the only thing i did not like at all was the fact that the shover cabin's drain was full and the water could not run down so the whole showering procedure was awfull...we had a great time overall, we stayed for 4 nights and everybody was super friendly to us and we had a lot of fun. Once more, i would like to point out the fact that this is a 2 star hotel, not the Hilton's, you pay around 25 euro for a night not 400 so do not expect to find the royal chamber but be sure that you'll find great people who like to help if you know how to treat them right...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ildi_23
Hamburg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

Prague has an abundance of hotels and in low season, when fewer tourists venture to the Czech capital, there are many good deals to be struck. Therefore normally there would be no point in selecting this hotel quite some distance away from the city center. But in February of 2013 they celebrated completion of extensive redecoration of the rooms and advertised an offer we just could not refuse. Now that we stayed there we might even come back when they are not offering super-special deals
The architecture of this high rise building is everything but beautiful. The facilities in the rooms are very basic. There is no television in the room, and if I remember correctly there was only one electrical socket in the room to recharge your mobile or camera batteries.
The window arrangement was highly unusual. They could not be opened, so that the only fresh air into
the room could be let in through the door from the corridor. Yet, despite double glazing in the cold winter of 2012/2013 there was a constant draught from the windows. Luckily the radiator worked and was strong enough to keep us warm. The beds were new and comfortable. There are two lifts, so that usually you do not have to wait too long, even though one of them may be blocked by guests with lots of luggage in or out of it. Shower and toilet are in two different rooms so that you do not block your partner when having a shower. Both these rooms go off a little corridor which is separated from the bed room by a door, meaning that there are TWO doors between the beds and the outside corridor, which makes for good noise insulation fom other guests in the hall outside on their way between the lifts and their rooms.
Breakfast is very good, with an enormous variety of things to chose from. Juice is closer to real juice than to the coloured water that many other establishments dare to offer to their guests.
All members of staff that we met were extremely friendly and helpful.
Contrary to other remarks here we never felt unsafe when walking the short distance to the Metro station.The trip from the Metro station Strizkov (on line C) to the city center takes less than 20 minutes.
If you want your own toilet and bathroom for a comparatively low price then go for this hotel !

Room Tip: There is a highway on one side of the building. If you are sensitive to traffic noise, ask for a roo...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple