“never go to this hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Prague
Hotel Athena Palace
Ranked #548 of 672 Hotels in Prague
utrecht
“never go to this hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2009

wrong rates, terrible breakfast, small rooms, incredibly rude owner!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank appie1981

scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2009

Stayed at this hotel on one of our many return trips to Praha. The hotel is being refurbished "oct 2009" a point that we where not informed about when booking.

The good points.
The young chap on receiption ,The location? "good for some".Close to metro stop and main tram line "number 22". Good micro brewery just round the corner.

The rest.
As stated, the hotel is being refurbished, however after seeing both a new refurbished room and an old one this hotel would still struggle to be in the same class as many of the other 3 star hotels in prague for the same price.
we where in a party of 3 , one single room and one double room, the hotel advertises both these rooms as only fit for purpose, ie the single room with either single or double bed and a size only for a single traveller, the double room with either 2 single beds or one kingsize bed and a size suitable for 2 people. both rooms where the exact same only difference was the single room was refurbished and in better condition to the double.
The rooms are long and narrow with the beds only accessable from one side , If you stand in the middle of the room you could almost touch both walls.
The bathroom in the older room was very tired with cracked dirty tiles and mirror " the shaving mirror in our room was also hanging off the wall" any tall person will find it uncomfortable to use the showers in both old and new rooms as they are set low in the wall ,no real toiletries supplied by hotel barr 2 sachets of shampoo and hair cap.both towels and bed linen are past their best "our towels smelt of smoke one day"
A safe is supplied at a charge.
The hotel advertises afternoon cakes and coffee in the reception "for a fee", these would appear to be just the cakes left over from the breakfast !the breakfast itself is fine however coffee was luke warm and orange juice was very weak watery type.
The heating would appear to come on in the night however with with radiator built in under the window there appears no way to adjust it up or down
The hotel advertises as being on a quite side street, we were woken every morning aroun 5 am by noise from outside "not the usual tram noise you get in Prague".
I could not recommend this hotel for any type of traveller

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank me-and-monkey

Travellers are raving about these Prague hotels

Tashkent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

I spent time in Prague COOL! Hotel is excellent! Located in the heart of the city. Therefore udon reach any point in Prague! Street is very quiet! Service hotel excellent! During my stay in the hotel room was always clean, towels changed every day! Breakfasts are very diverse! and very tasty! The food was super! Staff at the highest level of friendly and hospitable! So all the advice to stay in this hotel! You will not regret it!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
daveafcw
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2009

Our break in Prague, booked through Last Minute was completely ruined by the shambles of a hotel which was described as four star. The tiny shabby room we were given at the Athena Palace hotel was by far the worst we have ever stayed in. I was embarrassed to take my partner to such a place. There was a welcome sheet of paper in our room which even described the hotel as a three star.
There was no dressing table and the one mirror on the wall was too far from the socket to allow my partner to use her hairdryer so to her distress she had no option but to sit on the floor of the corridor where there was a mirror and socket and do her hair there. The room, as you will see was so cramped that it was not possible to walk around the bed and the walls were cracked, dirty and damaged with brickwork exposed in places. The walls were paper thin and sleep was difficult when whatever was happening in neighbouring rooms was so audible. The website stated the hotel had been refurbished in 2006 – our room most certainly had not!
The shower provided in the bathroom was simply an attachment to the tap. The wall fixing was so low it was suitable only for a child and the water pressure was inadequate. The shower screen was too small and not fit for purpose – we had to take great care not to flood the bathroom. There was no soap, very small towels and poor quality toilet paper.
Our experience was further damaged by the attitude of the hotel staff, an example of which was when we were informed that they would not call for a shuttle bus to transfer us to the airport, despite stating on the welcome sheet of paper in our room that services include ‘booking you dinners at restaurants, taxi services etc.’ After this we found out that there was a nearby street from which we could catch such a bus but they even refused to inform us as how to get there. These are basic areas of customer service that would be expected of even a one star hotel and naturally we were appalled.
Breakfast was also very limited and of a poor quality.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daveafcw
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2009

the hotel was excellent. the staff were pleasant, the cleaners were good as we always we came back to a tidy room after a long day out! rooms are very spacious with a decent shower. breakfast was nice!!!!!!, ranging from yohurt to sausages to pasta! everywhere is walkable if you want to see everything, but bring comfy shoes as the pavements are all cobbled! the scenery is amazing from the golden lane which is a bout a 30 min walk from the hotel through old town and over charles bridge. overall, we enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would definately recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
world
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2009

Decided to book this hotel for its "advertised" free parking/garage. On Arrival was told there is no garage and I must park at the Ibis hotel afew blocks away at a charge of around 500 CZ crowns. I complained that they advertised free parking, they checked the internet and agreed it implied free parking. They laughed and told me I can park in the street for free but the police would remove my car.

On viewing my room I was not impressed, It was small old and dirty. The room was aproximately the size of teh double bed. The bathroom was old and dirty with hairs on the floor. The hotel hotel was in need of repair.

As a result I decided not to stay for the night. I informed reception I would not be staying, She laughed and told me that Lastminute.com would not refund my money. I requested some paper to say I didnt stay or my check in form back. She refused and said she didnt know where my check in form was. I signed it 30 mins earlier so not sure how she lost it in this time.

My Partner who is Czech requested the managers name and contact number, this was refused to us along with the receptionist name. Eventually my Partner called the Czech Hotel Inspectors, they informed us by law that the hotel must provide a claim form, again this was refused with a smile and a laugh.

After waisting over an hour at this hotel we booked in to another hotel close by, The Hotel Standard which was very good and we had a good evening in Prague.

Please do not book this hotel

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kevlar505
Uman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2009

We just spent 1 days in this lovely hotel, where the staff are fantastic, the food great and the beds amazing!!! It is situated 10 mins walk from W, Square but is down a lovely quite street with no noise at all! The rooms are a great size with really great bathrooms with baths big enough for two!! Th rooms are kept clewan with fresh towels every day and breakfast brought up to bed free of charge. The reception is 24 hours with a great night porter willing to serve you a beer till the early hours and have a laugh with you, all the staff were very friendly and very helpful, arranging taxi's and fair prices to where ever you want to go! The best thing about this hotel has got to be the beds, which are much more comftable than our one at home!!! I cant say enough good things about thi shotel and would highly recomend staying here if you are after VERY good value for money and a nice place to stay!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends