“Low price average service”

Hotel Stary Pivovar
Ranked #559 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I stay with my girl in this place for few days bia agency for low budget trips. It was clean and stuff was teally friendly. The breakfast was really poor but I guess for that price it is normal. It is 100 m from tram station. You need about 15 minutes with tram to center.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Need to say few words introduction to the review. We were planning a budget-trip to Prague, focusing on life in the city more than the standard of the hotel. We were not expecting anything outstanding from a hotel, but a regular, all-you-need in quality-you-pay-for.

First of all, the location is not too good when you want to visit the city as a tourist. It takes about 15 minutes to get from tram to the underground. Directly with tram you can go somewhere near the old town but still prepare for a 20 minute walk. Getting to the nearest tram stop from the hotel is still about 10 minutes - this is located perfectly in the middle between Motol and Krematorium Motol (yes, there is a crematory nearby - yummie).

As for the hotel itself - I can't say a bad word about the staff - the reception was since the beginning very helpful and nice (we were communicating in English). They have a small shop there where you can find something to eat and drink and even tickets (they don't charge extra when you buy 24 hour one). The hall looks quite nice, the restaurant is fine, I loved the design of the staircases. But this is where the positive things end.

The rooms are, to say kindly, below the expectations. First of all - room was very dark. Big, with only a little window - having seen the hotel from the outside, it is like this in most of the rooms. The window is so little and a bit hidden that even in the middle of the day the rooms are completely dark. The lighting in room is very poor and basic - there were only two lamps in the ceiling, barely giving any light and one little table lamp, giving almost no light. It was very unpleasant. Floor was completely dirty and haven't seen a mop for a while. Bed was ok, but we had double and it was getting separated way to easily so we were constantly struggling with a hole between them. TV was small and did not display the colors correctly. Choice of channels very poor - only one English, CNN. Fan in bathroom was broken and very noisy, water temperature in the shower - almost impossible to adjust to preferances. The air in the room was so heavy and smelly that having woke up or coming to the hotel after a few hours one could not breathe there. Opening a window could help, but the hotel is so close to very busy road (trams passing even all night) that the noise is almost like in the street. Forget about sleeping with an open window.

Breakfasts were poor as well. First of all - there are far too many guests for the food selection and amount that they prepare. The tables are being refilled, but as soon as some food is being prepared, it is immediately taken by impatient, hungry people. The quality was low - cheapest sausages, salads made from what was left from the previous day, eggs overboiled and with no taste... I chose bread, cheese and ketchup + coffee. If you have an option - save the money and skip the breakfast.

All in all, the hotel had a good potential. I liked the pictures on the walls showing the ruins of old brewery that was there 10 years ago, after they were renovated to an hotel. That works the imaginations. Hotel staff is also very nice and they try their best for the resources they have. But it is still not enough to compensate for the disadvantages of the hotel, that are inacceptable even for the low-budget stays. I will not come back here and would never refer it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a window on the forest - the further from the street the better (still won't he...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Beezqp
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I have just returned from a two night stay in this hotel. I don't know how much it cost as I was there on business and did not choose the venue myself. My room which was an elongated shape under a sloped roof contained two narrow beds....I guess about one meter wide, one of which was dressed with a sheet and thin duvet and one very flat pillow. I asked for another pillow and after a bit of a search was given a lumpy object in a white bag. The room had a rough synthetic carpet which smelled so strongly of disinfectant I was afraid to walk on it barefoot. The sloped roof had two windows with decorative see through curtains but no blinds so when I woke at full light and looked at my clock it was only 4.30 with no possibility of getting back to sleep. There was a big bathroom but the thin towel and tiny bottle of soup couldn't induce me into the shower as well as the freezing temperature in the room. the conference space was like a metro tunnel with no light or heat. we had lunch on both days in the restaurant and dinner one evening all of which I will write about in the restaurant review. Suffice to say at the moment I do not want to see another member of the pig family for a long time! Staff were indifferent at best and rude at worst. Breakfast was poor with a choice of processed cheese, ham etc. I hate to say this but I was really glad to get some airport food.

Room Tip: Please ask for the room on the brochure. I would be interested to know if it actually exists
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank bermb2016
Jiri H, Vlastník at Hotel Stary Pivovar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2015

Hello
We are very sorry to hear that you had bad experience, you should contact hotel manager if you were so unhappy, we could resolve your issue in the hotel and you could get your money back or some discount. You can still contact us anytime on our hotel email to resolve your issues.

Best regards - hotel owner

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Very good and nice hotel for its price.Good location only 12 minutes by tram to Andel or 20-25 minutes to old town.One of the bad thing is that hotel is located very close to busy highway so its a bit noisy but it did not bothered me that much but for someone who has light sleep could be issue.Rooms are very nice and worm with small Tv with not much choice of channels.Only thing i was missing was a kettle to make tea or coffee.Another small issue was that during my stay it happened few many times that staff or cleaner came to my room without knocking even that i had do not disturb label on my door.But otherwise staff was friendly and helpful.Most definitely i would visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: as much far as possible from main road
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Good But Noisy Location, Great Staff

Although this hotel is located next to a busy highway with tram stops within easy walking distance, this is a very convenient location for visiting Prague.

We did not have the breakfast that was included in our nightly rate but it seemed typical European, nothing special.

Unfortunately, during our stay there was a huge down pour and the hotel lobby flooded. For me, this was no big deal just added an interesting touch to our stay.

On the plus side, the front desk staff at Hotel Stary Pivovar was exceptionally pleasant and provided good local information about touring the city. Tram tickets are available for purchase right at the front desk.

One nice touch for us was that one of the front desk clerks offered to take care of our laundry while we out and about in the city.

If you can sleep through the constant highway noise or end up with a more quiet room than we did, staying at Hotel Stary Pivovar can be a good deal.

I know I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DMBTraveler
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We have now used this Hotel a few times, mainly for the location, parking and the price. As with all reviews on here, you have to weigh everything up with the price you pay. Firstly for us, we normally travel to Prague by car having played Ice Hockey somewhere in the Czech Republic. The Hotel is conveniently located a couple of minutes just off of the D5 motorway and has ample free parking, so a plus in our eyes. That said this means the Hotel is not in the city centre, though it is located on a tram route, with a tram stop 5 minutes walk away, with a trip to the centre taking around 20mins or so. The Tram however, does run 24hrs, so you can enjoy Prague as long as you want.

The Hotel has an attractive exterior with history dating back as far as the 12th century and this continues inside with the reception and bar/breakfast areas. In all of our visits the reception staff were all courteous and spoke good English. They offer a wide range of tours and information as well as the Tickets needed for the Trams/public transport sysetms. Open 24hrs the reception sells basic essentials as well as beverages and snacks. A pool table and table football are located just behind the reception and are also available 24hrs.

The Bar / restaurant area is also in keeping with the old world feel with traditional Czech decor and is a pleasant enough place to enjoy a beer. We also tried a meal from the menu on one of our stays, and while not the best food i've had in the Czech Republic, was enjoyable, if a little pricey.

With regards to the rooms. We have now used the Hotel 4 times, and we have had 4 different rooms. All have been a good size, decorated individually and have been clean and presentable with fesh towels and linen. We have never experience what other reviewers seem to have stated regarding the cleanliness. The hotel does operate the now fashionable 'green' policy whereby you are encourage to re-use towels, but should you require clean ones, just request them from reception. All rooms come with a Flat screen TV with the usual Czech / German channels (CNN is available) and all rooms have free Wifi access. The only downside with the rooms is that the outer ones that face onto the road do suffer from road noise, but this is not too bad, and we have slept soundly on all occasions.

If there is an area that could do with improvement it's the breakfast. There is only a small choice of cold meats, cheese, bread and cereal (if there is any out). If for example all the cheese has been taken, it can take 15mins for another plate to be brought out. The juices on offer are little more than very watered down dilute pop. On the up side, The coffee is fresh and surprisingly good quality, however, you are (if lucky enough to find one) given what can only be described as a thimble of a cup to drink from. We resorted to using the juice glasses instead. If anyone from the Hotel reads this, please address this area.

All in all, for around £16-£18 per person per night for bed and breakfast i think this Hotel represents great value for money. Given other peoples reviews, i'm not sure what people expect for this price range, but If you don't mind the Tram ride (which i think adds to the experience), i doubt you will find much better. We have 3 more hockey tours planned for next year and have no hesitation in using this Hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose an inner room or one that faces the woodland area behind the Hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Njdgomez23
Reviewed 27 August 2013

For the past few years I have stayed in many different hotels all over the Europe and I have never experienced such a rude, careless and ignorant staff and owner.
I understand that some things can go wrong, as long as there is someone in the property who makes an afford to address these problems.
This is my first time writing a negative feedback but I really want to warn people as this place is not worth the nerves.
Other than unprofessional customer service the rooms are very very basic, so basic that you feel like in the prison cell. The location isn't great at all. There is a tram stop nearby but the journey back to the hotel late at night isn't pleasant at all. Peace and good time are priceless, so pay few extra euro for a better hotel and let your memories from Prague be all wonderful !

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple