“Mixed Feelings about the Hotel”
Review of Savic Hotel

Savic Hotel
Ranked #34 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Prior to my trip to Prague, I had researched a very large number of hotels. Once I settled on the Savic, I reread most of the reviews to select the perfect room for my needs. Ultimately, I settled on Room 303 which is definitely gorgeous and very spacious. Yes, even though it's on the "third" floor, it is an attic room so there are plenty of stairs between the elevator stop and the room. But, I asked for help with my suitcase and received it promptly so the stairs were really not a problem. The problem was the temperature.
Unfortunately, the AC went out the day we arrived and was not fixed for two of our three nights when Prague was experiencing high heat and humidity. Room 303 has four windows with cross ventilation. With the fan that the hotel provided, I was able to sleep soundly. My friends were not so lucky. I had asked for quiet rooms. While 303 is very quiet, their room, 304 was not. Without the AC, they had to leave the windows open and they heard noise until the wee hours of the morning. And, there was no other fan available so two of their nights were both hot and noisy.
All of this is really too bad because the Savic is truly a lovely hotel with a great deal of character and charm--no cookie-cutter rooms here and the bathrooms are really beautiful. We found the breakfast to be excellent with everything we could possibly want or need. And, the service is clearly one of the hotel's long suits. Jana, Mira and Samir all did their best to make us feel welcome and at home. They cheerfully answered our questions and offered all manner of help and suggestions about what to see and where to eat.
The advantage/disadvantage of the hotel's location is a matter of opinion. It is very near to the main square and many of Prague's must-sees. That is especially nice in the morning when the square and the streets are nearly empty. But, by mid-day and late into the night, there are hordes of people all around the hotel. We did not have a "restful" feeling. All three of us agreed that if we were to return to Prague during tourist season, we would probably stay somewhere further from the center of things. Off-season though, we'd stay at the Savic.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room that does not face the street. Room 303 is both lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sue M

Reviewed 3 August 2012

A great hotel, with fantastic warm welcome, hotel organised our transfers from the airport so from the minute we arrived until the minute we left they looked after us with first class treatment.
Lovely room - spacious and very comfortable.
Very clean, and very pleasant.
Breakfast was very good, although service of coffee a little slow, but the chef was great and cooked eggs to order.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank hellsbells57
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We knew we would arrive in Prague late in the evening, and we didn't feel totally safe navigating our way to the hotel from the train station. I emailed a week earlier to ask if we could have a car come get us, and received a prompt affirmative reply with a price. When the arrival came, we accidentally got off at the wrong stop! Using a payphone, I called the hotel and they sent the driver right over. The whole experience was as pleasant as it could have been. Furthermore, on arrival, the receptionist gave us an overview of locations, things to do, and ways to avoid being cheated. It's located near the astronomical clock, in the heart of the old town, and the room was nice and big.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicole R
Reviewed 1 August 2012

This hotel can't be beat for location, style, comfort and service. The hotel rooms are lovely and comfortable. The staff were professional and spoke English. (Although I'm of Czech descent, I do not speak the language!) There is a restaurant in the hotel which was very good and it gave us a short cut to Old Town Square...which is right around the corner! We did not need to use any public transportation, just our feet:) You can walk almost anywhere from the Savic. A beautiful hotel in a beautiful city. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank faithrunfarm
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Had a fantastic short break at the Savic hotel. Hotel arranged for my partner and I to be picked up from airport the service when greeted at hotel was top notch with manager highlighting tourist destinations on a map. Rooms were very stylish and clean with hotel having a relaxed atmosphere. The hotel location couldn't be better as all tourist attractions are really no more than 5 minutes walk going back to Savic next year and would highly recommend the hotel to anyone travelling to Prague.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank Stetree82
Reviewed 29 July 2012

A great hotel just off the Old Town Square, that didn't suffer from street noise or crowds. Husband and I stayed 4 nights. Room was large, clean with a marble bathroom and overlooked a quiet back street so we had complete peace. Fantastically comfortable bed.
The receptionist on arrival (Anna) is amazing - knowledgeable, helpful, fun and by far the star member of staff at the hotel. Being our wedding anniversary, she'd organised champagne in our room and a glass of bubbly as we checked in. Wonderful.
Breakfast is very generous offering a range of cooked, fresh fruit, cheeses, hams, pastries etc all extremely tasty and just what you need before you go walking around the city. The location is brilliant enabling you to get to all the well known spots within minutes and metro stations if you want to go further afield.
Why not a 5* rating? Only because breakfast service was a bit patchy and the receptionist (not Anna) on departure was a bit abrupt. Not a reason not to stay here though.
Happy to strongly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. 203 worked for us.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BBMUk
Reviewed 27 July 2012

The location of this hotel can't be beaten if you are trying to see the best of Prague on foot. It's just off Old Town Square, blocks from the Charles Bridge, easy walk to Wenceslas Square, and close to two metro stations.
The hotel itself is beautiful, historic, and clean. Hostess Mira at the front desk was always smiling, even when really busy, and helpful with local attractions. We really enjoyed Sameer (in the U Dominikana Restaurant), who was a delight to talk to and very personable. We shared a love of Indian movies. Michael, also in the restaurant was attentive and always smiling. The outside restaurant is great for enjoying drinks and people-watching.
The only reason I didn't give this hotel a 5 was totally personal, and may not apply to everyone. We were in Room 406. This is a wonderful and historic attic room. The bath was small, but lovely. Both my husband and I found it difficult to get into the tub/shower. There was little space to put personal items. This was also true of the suite itself. It had a tiny closet, with minimal drawer space. We had to pretty much work out of our suitcases, and the stairs up to the room almost finished me. My husband and I both have bad knees and a bit of age on us. The elevator goes to the third floor, and our room could only be reached by a circular staircase, an additional short staircase, or a series of other stairs. After a full day of walking about, it was a challenge to reach the room. I will be honest-I didn't ask for a replacement-this is just a caveat for any future guests. Attic rooms require stairs.
All this being said, I will stay here again on my next visit to Prague. We loved it. And I recommend it to everyone looking for a hotel with real character in Prague.

Room Tip: If you don't want stairs, avoid attic rooms, or the 4th floor in general.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple