“Was nice, but has gone downhill”

The ICON Hotel & Lounge
Ranked #47 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I have stayed at the Icon 4 times over the years. At first, I liked this friendly and somewhat trendy hotel in a so-so location. I recently stayed there in mid/late October and can say this place has definitely lost something. Apparently, the management that made this place good before have all left. My girlfriend and I had to cut our stay short, and not only was the manager (Lukáš [--]), not friendly, he was downright rude and insulting.
He made myself AND my girlfriend very uncomfortable during check-in. I have never experienced such an unpleasant person at any hotel, ever, and I travel a lot. We had made our reservations beforehand and were not required to make a deposit due to the fact that the place was under booked (I understand why!). When we checked in and informed Lukas that we had a change of plans and would shorten our stay, he erupted in tirade or rude behavior in front of 2 other staff members and my girlfriend. We checked in anyway.
Upon check out, I paid my bill in Czech money which I did not understand. Later I found that he charged double the rate without telling me. I had business with a local real estate development company which helped with the reservation. Lukas also called them a was rude to them, even though they refer so much business to the Icon. They have lost this customer and a good source of referrals.
The room was not a clean as I remembered in the past also as the shower was dirty when we checked in. Since the location is not very good, I will definitely stay at a different place next time in Prague that understands how to treat customers courteously.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank surfKiev
There are newer reviews for The ICON Hotel & Lounge

Reviewed 1 November 2011

Nice and simple, well located small hotel. The room was clean in has a good size as well as the bathroom. Free WiFi internet does not work properly in the second floor. Very attentive staff. If you plan to use taxi ask the main desk to call you a taxi from AAA taxi company, otherwise you will be spoofed by the driver. Never take a cab in the streets. Take care.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank regisqueiroz
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I had a great stay at this hotel for 2 nights in oct.I stayed in a delux room which was huge and very clean .the location could not have been better close to all the main sights.I had a full English breakfast both mornings which was very enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Dellpr
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We loved the hotel. Excellent rooms, all the staff were very polite and attentive, the breakfast was very good and the location was fantastic. The only small problem was the wifi signal in our room. It was so weak that was almost impossible to use.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank julioareal
Reviewed 26 September 2011

A quaint little hotel which is in a fantastic location - walking distance to main shopping strip and metro stations. A little more to the old town square and everywhere else. However, in Prague you do walk endlessly so it really doesn't matter!

Had some issues with the internet connection (none) in our initial room and the air conditioning was not working at all. (room 205) Called up the next day and they very promptly changed our room for us. Good hot shower and bath, really nice comfy beds that really get you the rest you need from Prague. The rooms are really spacious - one of the most spacious in Europe for a boutique standard!

We would definitely come back here again!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nobeansprouts
Reviewed 17 September 2011

This was a great place to stay our two nights in Prague. Definitely recommended. Staff is extremely friendly and attentive. Check in is done sitting on a comfy chair :) Hallways are funky and room is very well done. A step above staying at your typical bland hotel. Breakfast is served till 11pm... yes pm. If you miss the breakfast buffet you can get breakfast later, deli/cheese, yogurt, etc.. and eggs how you like them! The 'Jet Set' bar and lounge was great although I didn't take advantage of it. Computer at the bar was very helpful in booking last minute items on the trip.
About a ten minute walk from the train station, just off the main plaza so not noisy. If you are looking for a quick bite from outside there are a number of options close by. Had an evening train to Vienna and no problem storing our luggage at the ICON till we needed it. All in all, if I come back to Prague, I know where I am going to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We like the Icon, the staff are super nice and we like their breakfast. They have the cereal, cold cuts, fruits like most other hotels but they also have items made to order, including eggs, bacon/ham, pancake, etc. They have one Mac computer at the bar that you can use anytime so that's convenient. We spent 3 nights here and we like the location, it's a 15 minute walk from the train station, a little uncertain at first since we arrived by bus at night, but after we understood where things were, I think this is a very convenient spot. We would stay here again. The rooms are spacious, very high ceiling for some reason (we were on the 2/F.) Free wifi throughout hotel. The hotel has its own spa facility, we didn't check it out though.

On a side note (completely irrelevant to this hotel review but would like to give a tip), I'm a fan of Rick Steve (love his travel books), he mentioned to be careful to count your change at various businesses in Prague. We arrived by bus at 9pm, went to the ATM and wanted to break the bill plus needed to get some water. I gave the cashier at Relay (convenient store at train station) a 1000 kc bill (about US$60), the water was 24 kc, so instead of 976 kc back, the guy gave me something like 476 kc, I saw it right away but thinking "crap, how can I argue this?" Thank goodness there was a lady behind me and was somewhat silently supportive; plus he could probably tell how upset I was. He continues to give me the wrong change with a couple more tries (I can't believe it), I raised my voice and said I need 976 back!! So please be aware and always count your change. For the rest of the Prague trip, we insisted NOT to use our credit cards.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family