“Large rooms, great staff”

The ICON Hotel & Lounge
Ranked #52 of 650 Hotels in Prague
Sydney
“Large rooms, great staff”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Staff were very friendly and helpful with great english - they gave clear advice on how to get around and also helped book my tour to Cesky Krumlov. Rooms were very large, bathrooms big too. Pity there weren't more english tv channels except for CNN and BBC but...this is Prague I guess. Great location - only a block or so from Wencelas Square. Would stay again next time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
ZizkovskaR, Manager at The ICON Hotel & Lounge, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear Guest,

I‘m glad that you had a pleasurable stay in The ICON and great experiences with the Icon team :) We love to share tips and advices on how to get around – Prague is such a beautiful city!

Thank you for your remark about english TV channels, I will investigate what are the possibilities of extending the choice. At present time a wide selection of free DVDs in english language is available at the front desk for all movie fans.

Hope to see you again soon in The ICON!

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I prefer to write directly in English, instead of having my review translated in Englsih
It's the fourth time, I come in the Icon hotel, and I've already planned to come back in few weeks. I have a tight schedule all the day. What I like in the hotel, is that the staff takes care of everything, you just focus on the goal of your visit in Prague.
To show the great attitude of the staff, I'll take one example.

I met a lovely czech girl in Prague ( who speaks english). She had her birthday the same week, and she wanted to celebrate it with me. She told me that 30 hours before.I was really in hurry, busy all the day, and had no idea how to handle it. So I asked some advices to the girl at the reception. In fact, I needed a crash course on 'czech-girls psychology' and was too shy to ask clearly for that, but the receptionnist perfectly understood. It was around midnight, she gave me some idea 'don't forget the flowers!'. All the day, between two meetings, I went to the shops the staff recommended me, and they're all in the quarter, at five minutes by walk.

I went to Svezotor in a passage ' the best cake of Prague' and bought a birthday cake. The shop was very crowded, it proves to their reputation. Then I purchased a bottle of champagne ( you have a shop in front of the hotel, or you can buy one in the bar); the guy in the bar put everything in the fridge of the hotel. For the flowers, another girl at the reception gave me a special fidelity card to get a discount. Veronika at the flowers shop ("Belles Fleurs') made me buy the most beautiful (and expensive) flowers because, you know, you're never rational for this kind of stuff, so I was glad to have the fidelity card of the hotel.

Last and not least, the receptionists trained me all the evening to pronounce accurately 'happy birthday' in czech. My girlfriend understood what I said right away. I was so relieved! It was a team work. We ended up in my room, drinking some champagne. The housekeeping girls had put additional pillows and towels. And if you forgot the condoms, you've always near the minibar a (small) packet of condoms classic from the brand Durex.

All the staff is really friendly : the blond girl who cleans the front door the morning very discreet, the brunette always in a good mood and her colleagues who clean the rooms, a brunette at the reception playful, one other (blond) quite reserved (and wiser?) who gives always good advices, the waiter of the bar who always smiles at me when he sees me accompanied with a girl ( not always the same for my 4 trips) and so on... The supervisor of the housekeeping girls seemed was a little bit strict, when I saw her with the others girls cleaning the rooms, it's a part of her job. And when I saw her once in the elevator, she was more relax,she teached me one word in czech : 'taki'. You say
-Yak se mate?( how are you?)
- Mam dobry. Taki?( Fine and you) ; and you reply :
-TAKI!!!! (So do I).
I've chosen these various examples to show that the staff is casual, takes it easy and at the same time, whatever you need, they are here for you, at anytime.

I really like my room but I cannot disclose the room number because I'll come back and want to be sure to have 'my' room. For the great location, I confirm the others reviews.

To conclude, here are few tips :

- Never change money in the street, the moron will give you (fake) money from Bulgaria, even in the early morning at 9 AM, they're already 'working in Wenceslas Square. Ignore the girls (maybe honest ) who propose massage in Vodicakova Street, it's overpriced. In the airport, don't change money : the rate is terrible, if you need few cash, use the ATM at the right when you go outside the controlled area, in the terminal 2. I always go in alfaprague(point)cz, to exchange money, the one near the hotel,( three minutes by walk), Na Prikopje 23. Check the rate by yourself on the website.

- For the guys, don't go to any club in Wenceslas Square ( Darling cabaret, Atlas) or Gym Club near the bridge ( each time I visit the bridge the guys proposed me to have a look, I try to stay polite, because everyone needs to earn his life, but the scam is so ridiculous, it's difficult not to laugh) . Never (NEVER) talk to a real street girl or a fake prostitute-and-real pickpocket. The RedHouse, the Neon Club and the SweetParadize are not scam but for what you get, it's far too expensive. AAA exclusive club is ok, more or less, it may be the only one. Don't google 'escort', you will have a terrible, overpriced girl. Never follow the advices of a taxi driver, even in the morning a taxi driver from AAA taxi showed me an advertisement for a boring club. Never follow a driver 'to a better place' when frustrated, you get out a tourist-club : your friends will never see you again. My advice : check the three 'tripadvisor for girls' in czech and enough clear with the automatic translation.

- Even if you're drunk , you'll find go back easily to the Icon Hotel. The way is a piece of cake. If you choose an another hotel, don't do like a tourist I helped one night. Near Flora, at 4 AM in the night, I saw a drunk guy with only a t-shirt. He asked me where is the burger shop. I tought he was hungry, but in fact, he didn't know the street of his hotel ( one of her friend told him the name, he didn't understood the spelling and didn't write it, her friend has told him only : go to the burger shop then it's the next block) and the guy didn't remembered the name of his hotel (plus one ???). So he said to me the name of the street 'near' his hotel,with a weird pronunciation, and it was really a miracle, I understood the name of the street because knew the burger shop and could help him. So when you go out, take the card of the hotel with you!
At night, it's really cold in Prague, even in August.

Have fun in Prague and maybe at the Icon Hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
ZizkovskaR, Manager at The ICON Hotel & Lounge, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Hello gaussian_chaos!

Jak se mate (how are you)? ;)

Thank you so much for sharing your nice review, we really appreciate it! Every one of the team was happy to find its own part in the story. You've expressed so well our “casual & always ready to help” style and it’s a pleasure for us that The ICON became the only place where you stay when travelling to Prague!

Warm regards from the entire team! (and we are looking forward to see you very soon again)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We were a group of 9 people that came to Prague for Eric Clapton's concert. WE found a nice little hotel, located in a quiet street a minute walk from the metro and public transportation. The staff of the Icon was so friendly and kind gave us tips and suggestions and generally made sure we are satisfied at all times.
The rooms were clean a fun to stay in. Breakfast in served all day and its fresh rich and tasty. The Icon's lounge is welcoming and comfortable.
All in all… We had a great time!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Dear Eran_Israel425,

thank you for taking time to post your nice review!
I’m glad you had a great time in The ICON and that you liked your stay in so many aspects. Icon team also very much enjoyed the time spent with you "on board"! ;)

Best regards from Prague to you and the rest of your group!

West Hollywood, California
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Although, it was brief and only an over night stay on August 26-27, 2013, we really enjoyed our time at the hotel. The breakfast was fantastic and the front desk staff were all helpful. The rooms were modern, clean and large. We also like the recommendation to Modrý Zub. The location was in walking distance to Old Town Square. Thanks for making our final night in Praha pleasant.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Was very impressed with this hotel, check in was quick and easy and the staff very helpful, even took us up to our room to make sure we were happy. Our room was huge, very modern, and very clean, and the bed was very comfortable, and at night did not have any noise issues. The only negative was the bathroom could have benefited from better lighting, especially in the shower area. The location was really good, not far from new town. The free wi fi was excellent, as was breakfast.
Booked this hotel on the back of the previous good reviews and so glad that I did, wish I could have taken my hotel room with me when I left to other destinations on our European tour.
The staff at breakfast were really lovely as well, everyone spoke really good english.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 30 August 2013

LOCATION: The hotel location is close to a metro station and tram station. Also close walking distance to the old town and other historic attractions.

ROOM: The room was designed in contemporary style, but the furnishings are cheaper quality. Furthermore, the bed was not comfortable. The noise from the hallway could be heard easily, which made sleeping difficult. The room was very warm when we arrived and it took the air conditioner 4 hours to cool down.

HOTEL: Our breakfast was included in the rate, but the hotel breakfast was not too good.

STAFF: Above all, the staff is very nice and helpful.

RESTAURANT: If you want a great Italian experience....go to Ambiente Pasta Fresca. Close to old town, this restaurant has amazing vegetarian dishes.

CITY: For a little "off-the-beaten-path" experience, go to Vrtbovská zahrada.

NOTE: All our reviews are not evaluated on the exclusively mutual experience at the respective hotel. Our ratings and standards are benchmarked with other hotels that we have stayed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dal-n-lana
ICONSales, General Manager at The ICON Hotel & Lounge, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear dal-n-lana,

Thank you for your time to write a review of The ICON Hotel & Lounge!

I am sorry that your stay in Prague didn’t meet your expectations and I’ll focus on your remarks to make improvements. Did you know that we have Hästens beds in all rooms? Hästens is official supplier of Sweden’s royal court since 1952 :-)

Above all I am very happy that you value our great central location, modern design and that you were satisfied with our nice and helpful staff!

Warm greetings from the entire ICON team and we wish you many wonderful experiences while travelling the world!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Spent 5 nights in this nice contemporary Hotel. the concept of all day breakfast is cool :)
location is great. IF you book throught their website you get more privilege.
Staff are modern and young and friendly.

i still remember some names and sorry to forget two names
i thank Frank who always help although he was in the night shift.
also Lukas who give the right accurate info even if he is busy
Syliva in Reception and Sylvia in Breakfast. actually all of them

i only recommend 2 things :
1- to have a porter ( because it is lit a bit embarrassing for me to let the nice staff to help us in our big luggage
2- to have more channels or Video on Demand

Room Tip: Room 105 has a great design. is not facing the street but it worth.