“Superb hotel and Bar, with super friendly staff”

The ICON Hotel & Lounge
Ranked #54 of 672 Hotels in Prague
Marchwood, United Kingdom
“Superb hotel and Bar, with super friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Icon. From the moment we arrived, all the staff were so friendly and helpful. The guy on reception even came with us to our room, and showed us where everything was and how it worked. The bar and bar staff were excellent. Tried the tapas, and a bottle of red one afternoon, all of it was absolutely delicious. IF you like Italian food, try the restaurant next door ( Bibita ). Excellent food, with a great atmosphere, and fantastic value for money. We would definitely stay at The Icon next time we are in Prague

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WelshMark23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I had a lovely few days here with my sister. The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful, both at reception and in the bar. The rooms are comfortable, warm and clean. It took us a while to find the tea & coffee making facilities and mini bar as they are hidden behind what looks like a wooden panel. The breakfast is very good, plenty to choose from and well cooked. The bar is lively, and the drinks and tapas dishes we tried were all excellent. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel is unique, beautiful, clean and in the middle of everywhere.
The staff is friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our stay very much,
We came because of trip advisor recommendation and did not disappointed
Tks for a wonderful time and a money well spent

Iris & Ran
Israel

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

This is a modern, stylish hotel that is full of modern charm... the hotel is not full of the most modern cons, but it is full of great staff... they are professional, approachable, well mannered and just pleasant... Nothing was too much for them, they were always great.

The hotel rooms are pretty good. Lots of space, unless you are on the top floor in which case you may have the sloping roof which adds a bit of charm to the room, but loses a bit of head room..!

Beds are brilliant and very comfortable.

The bar is relaxing and serves great drinks and good food. It is run by some Argentines from the north of Argentina, they have put a tapas menu on which works really well.

There is no gym here but they do have a great rate with a local gym where you can use the facilities.

As someone who uses hotels every week of my life, I would rate this in the top 5 I use. The staff are what make this place the best hotel in town.

Room Tip: If you are tall, dont go top floor as the sloping roof will cut out a lot of the space in your bedro...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Where do I even begin? Stayed with a friend for 6 nights last week and we loved the place.
-Great location
-Free, strong wifi on every floor
-Free, hot, made to order, breakfast served from morning until 11 PM
-Beautiful modern rooms
-A great spa where you get discounts as a hotel guest
-The staff: front desk people gave fantastic recommendations for restaurants. We asked for one and we got a full list. Every one that we tried was amazing. The German woman who serves the breakfast (never got her name) is one of the nicest most friendly Europeans I've ever met. We had conversations with her every morning and she also gave great recommendations.
-Clean as you can be
-Despite what other reviewers say, the beds were very comfortable (maybe because I sleep on memory foam regularly)
-Location was perfect. In the center but off the main drag so it is quiet at night. A (nice) pizza place next store and 2 pubs across the way

When I go back to Prague I won't even look at different hotels. I will just book the Icon. It's perfect!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BostonMike2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Honeymoon: nights 1 & 2 of 11 (Nov 20 & 21)

On quality and service I wanted to give this hotel 5 stars, on quality of sleep I wanted to give it 3 stars, so I'm settling on 4. I have not read the other reviews since I booked 2 months ago, so forgive any repetitiveness with them.

The hotel is in a convenient location even though you'll find yourself mostly exploring north and north east of it. Everything is within easy walking distance, including the castle.

The outer door can be confusing as it's an older blue door that we weren't sure opened. Out of a lack of options I tried it and entered into a second set of nice glass doors. Up the ramp and to the reception desk were very pleasant staff members who greeted us; the tapas restaurant and lounge to my back, Asian spa to my left. The spa is at a discount for guests and they give you a grab bag for a free tapas dish with the purchase of two others.

The hallways to the rooms are very sensual as they are dark, aglow only with the room number "boxes" which were uniquely placed and colored. Inside the rooms the decor was very nice and as advertised the beds were very comfortable. The smell of the room was very fresh and my wife noted that she doesn't think she's ever been privy to a "cleaner" hotel room in her life (which is obviously a relative statement, but she's an extremely clean person). I prefer a softer mattress, and while these offered a stiffer lay, I slept very well (when I slept, see below). Sound proofing was good as I heard none of my neighbors. There was street noise, which is to be expected, and also why they make ear plugs for traveling.

The bathroom was spacious and the shower had quick hot water and just under perfect water pressure (my 'perfect' is rarely achievable, no complaints here though). Good counter space. There is a partial divider for the shower, opposed to a curtain, and it was hinged, which made no sense to me. However, once my wife joined me and I noticed the full length mirror across from us, it made more sense why one would want to open it :).

I preordered the champagne and strawberries, which I had no idea how much nicer the fragrance from the strawberry stuck to the side of the glass would make the drink (and I love champagne), and I also preordered the 40€ for 50€ at the tapas bar next door. Now, here's where you need to be careful, and this should probably go in to a separate review, but seeing as how long this is taking I doubt I'll write it. The tapas bar attempted to give me an exchange rate on my euros to czk of 24.0. The current exchange rate is 27.3 and hasn't been below 25 in over 6 months (if ever). Contemplating on letting it go, I cracked at the realization that my preorder 'bonus' has been relinquished to irrelevant. After questioning the waiter he said he'd speak to his manager and came back apologizing stating that they "used to" give a rate of 24 and he just didn't know they changed it, and offered me a rate of 26.0. Already feeling like a cheapskate for asking to begin with I agreed to this new rate. Seeing as how I doubt this waiter has been working there for years and I'm the first customer to question him on their ridiculously low exchange rate, it's quite obvious that this is a standard gimmick used to squeeze a few more bucks from overly considerate or (if you distinguish a difference) stupid Americans. The food was very good though.

Now, the glitch. The tapas bar... Is a bar. I can't be sure if the hotel ventilation simple recycles the air from the ground floor or if the cause is from the open stairwell, but the first night I woke up with burning nostrils and lungs from a room filled with cigarette smoke. I had to open the window to clear it out (thank god they open). Of course, middle of November, I then had to close them an hour later to save from freezing to death. Also, if you're one of those who doesn't travel with ear plugs it would be even louder from the outside street noise. So, good night sleep: Uncheck.

Second night the smoke had taken over prior to my going to sleep. So, windows open again, but only the top ones this time, which I was able to sleep the night through thanks to my ear plugs.

So, if you're a smoker already this probably wouldn't bother you, nor should it if you have plugs and it's late spring or early fall. And again to note, despite these nightly intrusions the room at check in does not reveal this would be an issue as it smells clean. Also, it's Europe. Second hand smoke should be expected, right?...

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. Clean, comfortable, good location, sound proofing from neighbors, oh, and a really good complimentary buffet with made to order hot food at the tapas bar. You can cash in on breakfast at anytime, supposedly, but just once a day. We did ours at the obvious times, so I'm not sure how it works (if at all) once it goes into lounge mode. Everyone was extremely friendly. We stayed on the third floor if that's important to anyone.

If you're going, have fun in Prague. If you're like me and want an extremely authentic place to go, stop in for a drink at Vinarna U sv. Anezky. The owner is an old man who speaks Czech, German, and some Russian. So, know how to order in one of those before going. He made us great espresso which I dumped a shot if whiskey in.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

No qualms here. I went in November, so it wasn't so expensive. Everything is great about this "hip" hotel: service, breakfast, atmosphere, the Spanish restaurant, the location. If you're going to Prague, don't stay in old town, which is a tourist trap. Prague is small enough that you should just stay outside these super busy areas. I'd really recommend the Icon. Such a great place. It would be nice if they had a gym.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business