“bohemian delight in prague”

The ICON Hotel & Lounge
Ranked #49 of 649 Hotels in Prague
birmingham
“bohemian delight in prague”
Reviewed 28 January 2009

whilst I am normally very objective about these reviews I lost all impartiality when i stepped foot into this hotel. It was a delight from the moment we were welcomed and shown to our wonderful, huge, contemporary room.

Staff were lovely, set up is great, feels on one hand like a 7 star hostel with a wonderful breakfast set up in the adjojning bar 'jet set' and querky off the wall, 'on the wall' art, whilst on the other hand a very classy establishment with it's Asian Wellness Spa and amazing decor.

I will stop now as i do sound rather like a paid advocate of this establishment.

Enjoy

• Liked — querky funky style
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sweden
Reviewed 27 January 2009

This is a fantastic hotel with fantastic service. I stayed here last weekend with my wife on our first visit to beautiful Prague. All weekend we kept saying how BOTH Prague and the ICON hotel had far exceeded our (high) expectations.
The general manager Nah-Dja Tien and his staff did a great job of making us feel very welcome and very much at home in Prague. Service was great and friendly. I stay in top hotels all over the world and wish that more of them were like the ICON. It is not a luxury hotel but an excellent boutique hotel. Only minor drawback, as mentioned on some other reviews, is noise coming in through the thin doors. But they are working on a solution, I am told.
We got a great rate by booking directly with the hotel. January is a good time to come to Prague: Not too cold and not overrun with tourists. I can imagine May or summer would be very crowded.

• Stayed January 2009
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 15 January 2009

We stayed at The Icon for 2 nights and it was a fantastic experience! The Icon had everything you need (included in the price) - great breakfast, comfy beds, LCD TV, laptop safe, wireless Internet & clean & nice bathroom with supplies, at very important friendly and helpful staff.

As a bonus The Icon has a very nice and cosy restaurant/bar/ lounge area, were they play lounge music at a comfortable level.

The location is great close to the main shopping street (3min walk) but still with no disturbance from bars etc.

After staying at The Icon we stayed at another hotel in the old town, but I would not say it was better. There you get less value for your money, hotels, restaurants - everything is much more expensive, but not better. Of course if the only thing you want to do is go to museums and see old buildings you might be better off in the old town area.

You can walk from The Icon to the old town in like 15 min. so I don't see any reason to stay there. And really how often do you visit the old town in your hometown? Most people just consider it as a place swapped with tourists and overpriced restaurants.

I loved The Icon and its location & would definitely stay there again!

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed 8 January 2009

Stayed at Icon hotel with my husband for 5 days, no regrets. Hotel is located in the center - all the main attractions are walking distance- very convenient.

The hotel is small, modern design, simple at the same time very colourfull and has nice interior ideas Rooms are nicely designed, good quality of furniture is obvious the same goes for bathroom. All very clean and well maintained. The main disadvantage was that TV channel selection is very poor- so after all day walk around the table-- there is no chance you can find a movie on tv in English language-- so you end up watching news.

First time we stayed in the hotel that provides all day breakfast--amazing idea- doesnt get any better:-). Its a really nice feeling to be on holidays and wake up any time you want and you dont have to get stressed that breakfast will finish at 1000.

Generally Prague is a beautifull place, overall was a very nice experience. The only thing i would like to warn all the travellers about is the taxi services at the airport. On arrival we went to Yellow Stant with ladies dressed up in Yellow offereng to go to our hotel for 500 Cezh -- when we arrived to the hotel taxi driver asked for 1180 cezh and he was pretending that he never new about the agreement and he doesnt know the number of the yellow stand ladies- pure cheating--AVOID YELLOW STAND TAXI . At the same time there is another stand "Prague Airport Transport" -nice guys- fair prices ( 600 Cezh to go to Icon Hotel)-keep their promises. One of our freinds who arrived later the same day used this agency ,he forgot the mobile in the car and taxi driver brought it to the hotel in the afternoon- we were nicely suprised. The contact details of the driver are 00 420603807827/Name: Viri Kraus - safe and reliable.

• Liked — Overall Style/Coseyness
  • Disliked — TV Channels very poor
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank spanya
hamilton
Reviewed 27 December 2008

On arrival we had a very warm welcome from the staff and a very smooth and efficient check-in.
The room was on the first floor one of the inside rooms which meant the only view was the roof of the buliding and a small courtyard below. The room was adequate in size and well laid out and one comment I have to make is that the beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept in, so much so I didn't want to get up!
The breakfast was excellent, not a great selection but good quality and with the hot breakfast cooked any way you liked.
The staff were excellent in particular the guy on the desk ( who I am embarrased to admit I never got his name). We had made a restaurant reservation but we didn't know where or which one of the 4 with the same name but he phoned round to make sure we went to the right place.
Apart from the breakfast we didn't eat at the Icon.
Regarding the location whilst not in the old town it really is just a 5 minute walk away. There are a load of bars and restaurants around so there is no shortage of places to go.
I would not be put off by the " Zen Wellness" set up as it is just a normal hotel.
If you are thinking of visiting Prague give the Icon a try.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — The view from the room
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
London, UK
Reviewed 19 December 2008

Spent one night here, travelling alone on business. Had a great stay and everything went smoothly and was as it should be.
The reception staff are very friendly, as a previous poster said let me print my boarding pass from their reception computer for instance.
Room was nice, big. Free internet access from the rooms which is invaluable if travelling on business.
Food and drinks menu was good value for a hotel, breakfast was huge. As a woman travelling alone I felt perfectly happy sitting at the bar by myself.
The location is great, within 10mins of the sights and within a couple of minutes of shops.
The rate I got booking direct with the hotel was Euro 100, and the cab transfer from the airport was done very efficiently and the same as when I booked through a taxi company for the return - around 700 local currency. Cabs are just very pricey in Prague.
The only slight negative is that the soundproofing is not perfect - but I had brought ear plugs and didn't bother getting back up to find them, so you can imagine it was a minor problem.
All in all - great stay.

Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 15 December 2008

I just returned from a 4 nights stay. A very nice clean trendy hotel with a perfect location both for business and leisure travelers.

So what I liked:
1. Location
2. Service
3. All day breakfast
4. Price

And what I disliked:

1. Price. I booked a room by internet at the hotel website at the published 190 euros rate per night but a bit later I found much better 125 euros rate at the booking.com, so I had to contact the hotel about that less rate which I had got finally. So check other sites prior booking directly!

2. Soundproof - I didn't hear the street or the music from the lounge downstairs (I stayed on the first floor) but damn every morning very laud talking of maid ladies and sound from heels of every passing women in the corridor were very annoying. Yes you hear everything from a corridor and I think vice verse.

3. Hotel taxi is a bit expensive, not too much although, but it must be so in a hotel I think. So if you on a tight budget (I wasn't) you should call AAA.

4. I am from Russia and as I think laid ladies were from Ukraine - their dirty slang is not good for a such a high class hotel, but since you don't understand them that will be so annoying for you as it was for me.

Will I stay again? I think I will.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Soundproof
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business