“Don't waste your money!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Michael Hotel

Michael Hotel
Ranked #391 of 670 Hotels in Prague
West Yorkshire, England
“Don't waste your money!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2008

Just got back from 5 nights at this hotel. The hotel is ok, clean and very basic (no mini bar, tea/coffee facilities or safety deposit box). You get what you pay for basically. I could have coped with all this had the service been better. I don't think any of the staff smiled. The only people who seemed ok were the cleaners, chauffeurs, 1 barman and the younger men on reception. Watch out for old man on Reception (works through the night on a weekend!!). He's the most obnoxious man ever. My boyfriend and I returned to the hotel on the third night after having a quiet couple of drinks to get questionned whether we were actually boyfriend and girlfriend and in broken english, he said this was "impossible" and kept saying "inhibition" and "director". I'm not sure what he was trying to say but he made me feel like I was some kind of 'working girl' and it resulted in me feeling insulted, humilated and in tears. Another negative to the hotel is that it's a 20 minute ride by tram to the centre (take no 3 or 17 which run every few minutes) and it is a good 5/10 minute walk to the tram stop (look out for the grafiti and you'll recognise it!). We were a bit wary of walking to it on a night as it's in bit of a dodgy area. The restaurant/bar was ok, basic again and there's never anyone in. On a positive note, would recommend booking the chaffeur service as they were both on time and were friendly unlike their colleagues. Prague itself is amazing but I would personally pay a bit extra and stay in the centre (we didn't as we'd heard there would be loads of stag/hen parties but we didn't actually see any - not sure if this was because we went in Sept?) and I'd stay somewhere where they know how to treat their customers! Definitely wouldn't recommend it and would not go back to that hotel even if they paid me!

• Liked — Checking out of the place!
  • Disliked — The customer service (or lack of it!)
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dissatisfied41

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Eindhoven
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2008

Great hotel in the suburbs of Prague with very friendly and good english speaking staff. Comfortable and large rooms which were clean, only the carpet in the room was a bit filthy. Bathroom was also ok but a bit small. Breakfast was great also, you have a lot of choice. The hotel is a bit far from the centre, but it provides the guests a shuttle bus, so you can get into the Old Town of Prague quickly, you have to make reservations for the shuttle at the frontdesk. You can also exchange money in the hotel. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the room only had one small mirror in the bathroom. We stayed with three persons in the room, so it would be better if there was another mirror.

• Liked — breakfast, size of room, staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank aSnnanGel
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2008

This is not an easy hotel to find if you are arriving at the secondary Prague station (Hols) to the north of the city. Forget the cabs until you work out what is a reasonable fare for the distance. We took the advice of the TI guy (outside the station to the right) who said the cabs were driven by crooks and tried the trams instead. Unfortunately the city maps don't encompass a wide enough area and this hotel lies to the south and just off the map!

We were told to get a no. 17 tram from a nearby station - look for the tall chimney stack and head about 400 metres in that direction. This tram will take you to Cherny Kun station which is the nearest to this hotel. As a bonus it takes you on a sightseeing journey through the centre of the city via one of the many bridges crossing the river and near to the Charles Bridge before depositing you some 30mins. later sort of near the hotel.
If you have a keen eye you will see a rather optimistic sign as you approach the Cherny Kun station. It is visible from the left side of the tram and says "Hotel Michael 250 metres left". I took 750 big steps to the hotel from the centre of the pedestrian overpass where this sign hangs!!

A number 3 tram will get you here if you are coming from the main Prague station.

Walk down the steps at end of overpass heading to the right and past a pub on the corner. Keep walking up the road about 200 metres and keeping the little tennis court and the trees on your left. Eventually you will see a "Hotel Michael" roadside sign on the right telling you it is straight ahead (do not follow the road around the sharp left hand bend). You have now covered about 500 metres from the station. The next sign on the right is another 100 metres or so along this road and you follow this to the left and another 200 metres up this pretty suburban street is your hotel.

Its new, only 2 or 3 years old and for the price is hard to beat.
Most staff are helpful and have good enough english. If you don't tip the bar staff expect the cold shoulder next time. Rooms are clean and the bathrooms and showers are quite interesting.
The beds are great and in typical European fashion, two singles bolted together make for one king size bed. Very comfotable and no sag. Perhaps they are set too close to the outside wall given the nature of the architectural design and invite the unwary to do a little more damage than just bump their head. I only saw two rooms and both had this layout problem. Be warned.

The food for both breakfast and dinner was more than satisfactory. Some people seem hard to please in this regard.

Location for my money is perfect - its located adjacent to a leafy park with real birds singing all day. Its a brisk 10 min walk to the tram station and another 15 mins to the city action. A 3 day pass cost about 330 kuna (get it from the TI office) - unlimited trips and remember to validate your ticket on first ride. Trams 3 or 17 run every 5 mins.

Iggy

• Liked — location out of the city, price, new/clean hotel
  • Disliked — some staff believe customer service comes at a price.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iggyAustralia
Mermaid Beach, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2008

we arrived at Prague airport and got excellent instructions from Travel Information on how to find the hotel with public transport, which was easy. It is a short walk from the tram stop to the hotel. Just follow the signs. We were blessed with what one shop keeper told us was "miracle weather". Beautiful warm sunny days. Reception when checking in was friendly but offered no information on the hotel or sights. There is no information in the room about anything. There was a number to ring for room service, but no menu was available. Asked for a coffee in the bar after we checked in, but was told to "just wait". His attitude stunk on this first occasion but slowly came around . The red haired waiter I'm talking about could do with some lessons in customer service as he rarely smiled. The other men who served (looked like mangaement) were great. One girl in the breakfast room wase friendly but I don't think the other girls could speak Czech or English,(maybe Russian I think) so were hard to communicate with. Free internet was great as we had our laptop.
Breakfast as previously reported was pretty basic but was ok. Cereals, toast, cakes, mini hotdogs that were called sausages and scrambled eggs. Endless cups of coffee and tea until 10am. Dinner meals were very Czech with lots of meat and light on vegies/salads. Will someone buy them another cd please? The Beach Boys were on constant rotation. Noise between rooms was minimal but the bit of noise from the hallway was ordinary. The cleaners forgot to clean our room one day which was funny as we came back from our daily outing at 8pm. We told reception and were advised that they were still working. We just asked for clean towels and told them to forget it. It was ok but don't know if we'll go back again

• Liked — cleaniness of room, internet access
  • Disliked — rude waiter, beach boys cd
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dazzamobile
South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2008

I was a bit worried about staying in the hotel after reading a couple of the reviews on here, but I was pleasantly suprised that a lot of the problems - i.e food in the resturant and fresh towels etc had been rectified. We were collected from the airport by a driver and I would definatley recommend arranging this as the hotel is quite awkward to find from the tram station.

The hotel is very ikea in style and I have no complaints with regard to cleanliness, the room was spacious, light and airy, but remember to close the skylight if you are going out just in case it rains! The beds were comfortable, but they were single beds screwed together and there was an obvious gap between the beds which was more annoying than a real problem. There are no tea and coffe making facilites so take a travel kettle, and you get used to the Czech TV!! There is wifi in the hotel, but I didn't take my laptop so I didn't use it, there is 1 computer in the hotel with internet access but there was stiff competition for it so don't expect round the clock internet access.

Breakfast was okay, juices and hot drinks, breads, cakes, hot dog sausages and scrambled egg, it was okay, but not great, and although we were down by 8:30 - 9:00 am at the latest, sometimes a lot of the food was gone and hadn't been replenished; and watch out for big groups, when we were there, there was a big group and they would just devour everything!

The resturant was quite quiet, don't expect to be seated just sit wherever you'd like to sit, the food was okay, but not great, it was resonable enough, but basic, I know the resturant used to serve a lot of Sushi and Japenese food, but I think they've taken it to the other extreme, things like pork and chicken in breadcrumbs and fries...o yeah, and look out for the waiter who looks like an undertaker, he's quite scary and not that friendly, I don't know if it's a Czech custom, but he would put my drink down on the table and would slam my boyfriends drink down on the table...

The tram station is a 10 minute walk away from the hotel, and then there is a 10/15 minute tram ride to the city, it was quite nice to see outside the city so we didn't mind the tram ride. Tram no. 17 and no.3 go into the city and tickets are easy to buy from the hotel for about 50p, I would suggest you buy a guide book though as it did come in very handy.

There is a pub on the corner, you will see it when you get off the tram, we went there on our first night...don't bother, I don't think they see many tourists, we ended up only staying for a drink because the chef and the waitresses and locals were all staring at us. There is a garage that you will see from the tram station, where we went to stock up on munchies!

Try and visit Kutna Hora and the bone Ossuary, it was fantastic!

Stay on the tram after the cerny Kun station, I think it is 2 stops after Cerny Kun, after you go over the bridge, - you will see a sports retail outlet - if you get a chance go there!! I had 2 pairs of addidas trainers for £40!

On our last night there were a lot of teenagers staying in the hotel on a school trip and they were really noisy, running back and forth, yelling, knocking doors and there were about 5 teenage girls standing in the corridor in just towels and at one point there teacher hammered our door (by mistake!?) because sh could hear the TV, although i'm sure that incident was a one-off.

All in all the hotel is nice and well worth the money, I would definatly recommend Prague and the Hotel Michael if you were looking for a nice break, next time I would stay in the city, only so we could experince more of the night life, howerver if they built a hotel Michael in the city centre we would definatley stay there!

• Liked — The rooms were fresh and clean
  • Disliked — the food and the scary man in the resturant!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thepinkjellybaby
dublin,ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2008

i stayed in this hotel for four nights with my school. it as a very clean hotel,the beds were very comfortable and rooms were a good size. there was only one real bad thing,the breakfeast,there wasn't a great selection of food and one boy got stuck in the lift. if i was in prague again i would more than likely stay in this hotel

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank _MONEY_8
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2007

Me and my girlfriend spent four nights in total in this lovely Michael Hotel in Prague.

Good things:

1. definitely value for money, comfortable beds, clean and modern bathroom with hair dryer. and free wireless internet

2. great people, I lost my camera on my way from Cesky Krumlov to Prague. the staff in the hotel helped me contact the bus company and the driver. And finally I got my camera back!

3. Easy accessable to the city by tram no. 3 and 17

Bad things:

1. location, it will take you a while to find the hotel after getting off at cerny kun station (walk across the bridge, turn right, then walk along the hill, keep walking around 5 mins and turn left on the second cross and you will find the hotel in 2 mins)

2. no water machine in the hotel

3. located in a residential area with lots of dogs around, really scared us.

overall, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend!

Stayed December 2007