“good, but not very good”

Amigo City Centre Hotel
Ranked #198 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Ramat Yishay, HaZafon, Israel
“good, but not very good”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

first of all, it is a nice hotel, quite distant from the centre, but 5 minutes walk from efficient transportation facilities. The room is not big but clean. The breakfast is fine. The crew is friendly and helpful.
I had 3 nights 10-13/4 in amigo city centre hotel, or at least I ordered room in amigo city centre hotel, but the entrance was through another hotel, so I am not sure in which hotel I stayed.
The issue is that no double bad in the hotel, though during reservation you are asked which room you rather. The double bad according the hotel is two single bad attached. Moreover, there are no double blankets, and the weather was quite cold...
I would advise to bring your own soap and shampoo because the soap in the hotel is not foaming very well.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shay L
Diana S, Manager at Amigo City Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Shay,
We really appreciate your positive comments about our hotel. The clients’ opinion is a top priority for us and it helps us to constantly improve, therefore we also appreciate your other comments and will use them to improve our services. You are right that we are not located right in the shopping area which starts on Wenceslas square, however, a walk from there lasts about 10 minute (since we are located in Legerova st.15) passing many historical buildings and guests usually find that also interesting being satisfied with having a food store and restaurants with local food around the hotel. I understand that it’s a matter of expectations and opinion though, for which I thank you very much. We will be happy to see you again! Next time you plan to visit us again, make sure you contact us directly for the best rates!
Your Hotel Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We chose this hotel on the basis of consistently favourable reviews and were not disappointed. The reception on arrival was friendly and efficient and the staff as a whole were very helpful throughout our stay. Our room was comfortable and pleasantly furnished, if a little small, but being on the back of the hotel was pretty quiet. Both the room and the hotel communal areas were spotlessly clean. Breakfast was excellent, with plenty of choice (both hot and cold) and dishes constantly replenished by the kitchen staff. Although a little way out of the City Centre – it is a good half hour walk to Old Town Square – it is only a few minutes walk from I P Pavlova Metro station and Vinohrady with its restaurants and bars is also an easy walk. As other reviewers have commented, it was disappointing to see that tea and coffee in the room is chargeable (the hotel is quite up front about this when you check in) in what is a 4* hotel but this wasn’t a problem for us as we brought our own anyway. Overall, however, it was a very pleasant, well run hotel, and definitely recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Peter,
Thank you for your kind review full of compliments, especially to our staff, services, cleanliness and comfort which are our top priorities. Thank you for mentioning our delicious hot and cold buffet breakfast with wide variety of cereals, yoghurts, dried fruit, nuts, cheese, ham, sausages, eggs, beans, fresh fruit, home-made desserts and other delicatessen. You can be sure that we will come up with even more surprises for your next stay! Taking into consideration the attractive prices of accommodation in a top 4* hotel, we do not have mini-bar and coffee/tea complimentary; however, anyone can definitely enjoy it at an affordable price if they want to. We can’t wait to have you back!
Best Regards
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The hotel is very nice. Staff super friendly. Rooms clean and nice. Beds and sheets super OK.(for mi this is esential). Breakfast also very good and lot of variety.
buuuuttt location is not the best. 6 blocks to center. You can walk. Neighbour is not the best. Anyway i recomend this hotel and i would return.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank carolina d
Dear Carolina,
We are glad that you commented on the walking distance from the Wenceslas square, it is true that we are located 10 minute walk from the National Museum; however, it is a pleasant walk through the historical part of Prague so visitors usually appreciate it more than using a subway which takes you through the tunnel with no view. There are also many food stores and restaurants with local food around the hotel at much better prices than couple of blocks away, which tourists appreciate. We appreciate all the other positive comments, thank you!
Hotel Team
uk
Reviewed 17 May 2014

we stayed two nights here in a very helpful comfortable hotel. :)
No free tea/coffee sadly but very helpful welcoming staff and comfy bed.
Short walk to the metro and then you're away. would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Robin,
We appreciate all your positive comments, thank you for sharing them! Taking into consideration the attractive prices of accommodation in a top 4* hotel, we do not have mini-bar and coffee/tea complimentary; however, anyone can definitely enjoy it at an affordable price if they want to. We will be looking forward to your next visit!
Hotel Team
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This hotel located 10 minutes from tram station, location wise is just fine. Their breakfast is good. Room is clean and spacious. Staffs are helpful and attentive. In summary this hotel is value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing Amigo City Centre Hotel **** for your stay in Prague. Thank you for your compliments, we are glad you have enjoyed your stay with us and will be happy to welcome you back again.
Have a wonderful day!
Best Regards
Your Hotel in Prague
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Nice and clean hotel, very friendly and helpful staff, tasty food...Rooms are nicely furnished. I recommend! I appreciate fast service request. Maybe one minus- problem with parking because of lack of parking spaces.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Eva,
Thank you for your positive review, it made our day! We appreciate your compliments on our room design, cleanliness, breakfast and lovely staff. It is true that we offer monitored parking place which costs 480 CZK ( approximately 18 EUR) per night, which is considered a great deal in the central area where free parking for others than residents is impossible. Since our spaces are limited, it is always better to reserve a parking place in advance. We will be looking forward to having you back soon and take care of you again. Please don’t hesitate to let us know once you consider visiting Prague again.
Your Hotel Team
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2014

As a solo budget traveller I always look for certain features in my hotels: location with easy access to the main sights (but typically outside the core area), an in-room safe, and a fridge or kitchenette. Amigo City Centre Hotel had all these boxes checked; so I booked 4 nights here in mid-April.

Getting here from Prague Airport is easy enough by transit, but I recommend booking an airport shuttle. Amigo is located on a busy multi-lane street that connects the main highway to downtown, and would probably be one of the first stops on any shuttle - certainly you would be dropped off before anyone in Old Town. Legerova is well-lighted and very safe at night; you are never more than a couple of steps away from one of the many boutique hotels located here, and there was pretty steady car flow until about 11pm. In peak season, I'm sure the street is never empty.

Location is so close to Old Town, but just far enough that you're not paying a location premium. You are about a 5-minute walk to I.P.(pronounced ee-pay) Pavlova metro station on the C line, which is one station away from Muzeum station (a central station that connects C line to the main A line), i.e. Wenceslas Square. You can walk downhill to the big horseback statue in about 10 minutes, but the route is not very scenic. I suggest that you try the walk once, but get an unlimited metro pass to save on walking (you will walk enough in the touristic areas). I.P. Pavlova is also a stop on the tourist Tram #22; Charles Bridge is only 2 stops away, and the stop is early enough on the line that you might get a seat on the way to Prague Castle - just watch out for pickpockets who get on in twos and linger near the tram doors.

Check-in was exceptionally good. I arrived at the hotel at about 10:30am on a Sunday. Since check-in time is 2pm, I knew the odds of getting into my room were slim. Nadja (I'm probably misspelling this, sorry) offered to check my baggage so that I could see the city until my room was ready, and even offered me use of the lobby bar (open only during happy hour) so that I could sort through my baggage in private. By the time I had done that and checked a few items online on one of the 2 convenient (but slow) internet-enabled PCs in the lobby, Nadja said Housekeeping was working on my room now, and within 20 minutes I was able to access my room.

BTW, as you check-in the hotel puts a hold of 40 Euro on your credit card as a deposit. This is refunded when you check out (just save your receipt). Your hotel room key operates the front door as well as your room. The single elevator is fast and spacious.

The bedroom itself is clean and spartan: a double bed (two twin beds sheeted together); firm mattress; 2 night tables; a wall unit with desk, TV, and bar fridge; and a chair. The entry area had a large wardrobe with an in-room safe and lots of room to store luggage. The bathroom is quite large with a spacious stand-up shower, towel warmer, drying rack, nice towels. Water temperature was good; pressure was ok.

My room (#407) faced Legerova, but the double windows muffled the sound well. A separate door to the bedroom eliminated any hallway noise. The only notable noise came from the floor above; you could definitely hear when people were walking, but this was never a problem late at night.

The room serves its purpose: it's your base of operations as you explore the city, but it's not somewhere you want to spend the majority of your time. There's not really any place to lounge around, and you wouldn't want to bring hot aromatic food into the bedroom. The room has an A/C unit, but it had not yet been activated in mid-April. I found it rather warm on some days (22C, which is high for someone from Canada), and Nadja said she could have the A/C connected if I really needed it. But opening the windows did the trick until I cooled down.

As for TV, the channels are in various languages: German, Czech, Russian, Italian, Spanish, English (BBC World only), and Arabic (Al-Jazeera). If you want music in the room, you'd better bring your own iPod (but there's no docking station).

The hotel has a nice smoking lounge in the back garden area. I don't smoke, but I went there to eat take-away meals or plan my itinerary, and I was always alone. It's comfortable and covered. BTW, the whole interior of the hotel is non-smoking, and don't even think about trying to sneak a puff or two in your room. Housekeeping inspects your room for signs of smoking before you check out, and the penalty for breaking the rule is severe - several hundred Euro.

Breakfast was included in my room rate and was a great way to start every morning. It's served 7-10am in the restaurant on the bottom ( -1) floor. It's all buffet style. Friendly servers are there to greet you and clear your dishes, but don't bring anything to your table. There are 2 buffet stations spread between 2 adjoining rooms. Station #1 has bread/rolls (which you can toast), a daily selection of pastry or cakes, cold cuts, cheeses, a nice variety of salads, crudités and the hot dishes of scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage (either frankfurters or kielbasa, not Western-type links or patties). Station #2 has coffee, tea, hot milk, a selection of cold juices, cereals/granola, fresh fruit (usually orange, kiwi, melon).

Service here is first-rate. All the front desk staff speak perfect English. I thought Nadja was exceptional in fielding my tourist questions and providing directions, but the others were very good as well. Housekeeping did an excellent job as well - the room was kept spotless. (Hint: You'll get better service if you tip Housekeeping on a daily basis, rather than give a lump sum on your last night).

As far as local amenities go, there is a Tesco Express, 2 banks/ATMs, and a cluster of quick-service restaurants (McDonald's, a 24/7 or "nonstop" KFC, and French favourite Paul) near I.P. Pavlova. On the way you will pass many mini-marts where you can buy beverages and snacks, but I recommend the Tesco for better prices (and it's a great place to use your large-denomination Koruna bills and get change).

Check-out was also easy. I asked for an extra half-hour for late checkout and got it, got a cancellation notice of the 40 Euro deposit, and made my way to Main Station to catch my train out of Praha.

All in all, this is a wonderful budget option. The terrifically low price justifies the extra 5-10 minutes travel time into Old Town, and you get a satisfying breakfast and wonderful service as well. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: For a given floor, the lower numbers (e.g. 401, 402 on the 4th floor) are right next to the elevator...