“Things you don't consider when booking” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Congress Hotel Prague

Clarion Congress Hotel Prague
Ranked #118 of 670 Hotels in Prague
“Things you don't consider when booking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

We always wanted to visit Prague and so when the opportunity arose we opted for a 4 day visit taking in an opera. Just after checking in at reception I suffered a major heart attack, collapsing in the foyer. It is at this point that you are at the mercy of fate. In my case the manager, Radeck Hendrich, was fully trained in CPR and got my heart going again in time to hand over to the ambulance crew. Without this intervention I would have had very little chance of survival. Radek also looked after my wife at the hospital and during my stay.
This is not
something you consider when booking a hotel but, in my case, it made all the difference.

• Stayed April 2011
5 Thank Louiebox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

We stayed here last week and the room was one of the best in Europe, especially for the price. We had two twin beds pushed together. The heating/AC system appeared to work but didn't quite make the room cool enough at night. They don't use a shower curtain in the bathroom but rather a glass panel that only covers about 1/4 of the showering area.
The hotel offers a breakfast in the morning that is very very strange. The buffet is quite large but they offer things like Miso Soup, a salad bar, "griddle" cakes and assorted breads. I tried a variety of these and thought they all tasted like glue and water mixed together.
The hotel staff was very nice and did speak English very well. However, on one occasion they came into our room unexpectedly. They were very apologetic but it made me nervous thereafter.
The metro station is two floors down underneath the hotel/mall. A word of advice, if you need to leave on the metro early it opens from the mall at 7am but it opens from the street at an earlier time. The mall also had quite a few stores and seemed popular with the locals. They have two sit down restaurants which were both okay but not spectacular.

Room Tip: The sixth floor was super quiet
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DianaReiman
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2011

we are a young couple, and I was looking for a good hotel with a good price. the hotels in the center were really expansive. but I was happy with the choice! although It seems far away from the center (Prague 9) - it's not a big deal. the metro station is just under the hotel, and there is a nice mall too with nice shops. it takes 6 metro station to get to the center and it takes only 10 minutes. very easy to navigate.
The hotel itself is very clean, the staff are nice and the rooms are lovely. breakfast is really good and tasty.
we enjoyes chilling out in the room and I would recommend the hotel for people who are planning to travel in the city in the morning and come back in the evening.
great hotel, excellent price.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Juli876
Budapest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2011

We have stayed for two nights(first time visit to the city) to discover the old city of Prague. We parked our car in the hotel's garage, and travelled to the city by metro (the station is steps from the hotel). It was very convenient and easy to get familiar using the map we got from the receptionist. The room was clean, comfortable, the bathroom is perfect. There is free internet connection (cable) in the room. Could have been bigger selection regarding TV channels. My only problem with the room was that windows can not be opened and the air system has some noise.(not too bad). The selection at breakfast was great, good start for a long day! Just go through a glass door and you find yourself in a shopping mall, it is great.
It is true that smoking area is in the lobby, it can be disturbing, but we spent most of our time dowtown.
I would suggest the hotel to anyone who goes sightseeing and does not mind using public transportation to get downtown. It is good value.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank holidays064
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2011

I came to the hotel for a conference so can't really complain that it is so far from the centre, but it did make it hard to fit in any sight seeing. Maybe conference organisers do that on purpose?
I am a non smoker. I wanted to spend time in the lobby and have a drink and a snack rather than sit alone in my room, but found it so smokey as to be unbearable. Note: thsi is an area where people eat. In fact, the first thing I noticed when I walked in to the hotel was the smell of smoke. So off to my room I went to sit on my own. Pretty disappointing really.
On a positive note, I had a lovely large room (no view to speak of mind you) and the attached shopping mall is convenient, especially significant because the hotel is in the middle of nowhere.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mary75London
MIROSLAVB, General Manager at Clarion Congress Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the presentation of your experience on Tripadvisor. It's true conference hotels are usually not situated in historical parts of cities, however, it is only 15 minutes by metro from our hotel and you get right on the spot and may breathe in the history of Prague. As to other entertainment, our guests are encouraged to ask our devoted concierge staff for advice.
I am sorry smoking bothered you so much. However, the Chronos bar and a part of the lobby is the only smoking area in the hotel. For a nice dinner without cigarettes our guests may visit our Benada Restaurant, which is nonsmoking.
I´m sure this improvement will satisfy our non smoking guests.
Yours sincerely
Stockholm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

Professional and what you expect on a business trip. I went by car to city centre and airport realizing that the hotel is not situated in the right spot if you are looking for tourist views in walking distances.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,
Let me thank you for your opinion. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and believe you will come back one day. If so, you might use the services of our concierge who will kindly arrange sightseeing for you or provide you with public transport tickets. It will take you only 15 minutes to the city centre. A night view and the atmosphere of the Old Town monuments are really beautiful.
Yours faithfully,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

If you stayed at the $39 a night Clarion in rural Michigan ever, you ll recognize the carpeting, interior, and look at this hotel across the World. They claim to be non smoking but to get to your non smoking room one must pass through the eye burning smoke filled lobby. Towels were ratty bad, bathroom was below average, TV selections if you speak English are terrible.

Six stops from the city center is too far for any traveler because Prague can be a lovely place. Front desk was great, I ll give the hotel that. It is attached to big mall with a close grocery store - a good think because the breakfast was terrible.

One other thing - the phone system in the room seems super fancy but it is very user unfriendly.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank global_tx
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your comment, although not very positive, and I am really sorry you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel as much as you might have expected. For the sake of clarity let me explain that we do not boost we are a completely non-smoking hotel. However, there are possibilities to avoid or minimize the time in the reception area (excl. check-in/check-out). Except Lobby Bar Chronos, all other restaurants are nonsmoking, including the congress floor, and all rooms are nonsmoking, too. Just for your information – we have plans to install a glass wall with an additional AC to separate a smoking area in our Lobby. I hope this will satisfy our non smoking guests.

As to TV selection, we keep trying to meet the taste of guests from various countries and understand that not everybody can be fully satisfied. In this case there is a possibility of pay-per-view TV which enlarges the general range of TV programmes.

Our hotel, similarly to other congress hotels, is not situated in the very centre, however it takes only 15 minutes by public transport to get there, and the direct access to the underground station makes it very easy and comfortable and is usually highly appraised.

We offer a wide selection of breakfast items, and should a guest wish something special, all my staff members are ready to do their best to meet his needs. I believe we can be proud of the “value for money” we provide.

Yours faithfully,