“Far far better than what we had expected”
Review of Restaurant Alcron

Restaurant Alcron
Ranked #7 of 5,624 Restaurants in Prague
Price range: US$83 - US$118
Cuisines: European, Czech, International
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Nove Mesto (New Town)
Description: In the Michelin star award-winning Alcron Restaurant (2012 - 2016), an intimate restaurant with seating for only 24 people, guests can select from an extensive tasting menu featuring fresh fish & seafood prepared with creativity and flair by one of the best chefs in Prague, Roman Paulus. From the stunning wall painting showing couples dancing before a backdrop of skyscapers; to the rich Art Deco details, especially the original fireplace door dating from 1932, when the hotel opened, the restaurant provides a unique and romantic atmosphere. The Alcron's famed gourmet cuisine, its splendid surroundings and gracious service, ensure a truly memorable evening.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I heard so much about The Alcron from my brother so I was full of expectations when we went there for a birthday treat. Glass of bubbly arrived arrived almost immediately after we sat down. We were given plenty of time to look through to the menu and the team were available for any recommendations.

Each course was unique in its own way. Superb presentation and exciting new flavours and textures. My favourite was Goats Cheese with chocolate crumble and beetroot. I'd never even think of putting those flavours together but it really worked extremely well. My lady went for Tuna sashimi. Undoubtedly, the best sashimi we have ever had.

Wines well also great and went really well with our dishes.

The staff did amazing job and we couldn't thank them enough. We would definitely return anytime.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had lunch at the Alcron on our last day of our very first visit to Prague. Prague itself is a lovely, charming city with delightful people. The Alcron is a restaurant that would grace the dining scene of ANY city. Like several other reviewers on this site, I would happily go back to the Alcron and the meal and whole experience (service, location, atmosphere etc) is right up there in my personal list of best meals I've ever had. Everything is perfect, from the attentive Maire'd when you first arrive and the knowledgeable and helpful sommelier, all the way through to the coffee at the end. The thing that sets the Alcron apart from other meals I've had in a similar price braket is the intensity of the flavours. The smoked eel with my terrine of foie gras was the most intensely smokey and tender eel that I have ever had. The little 'blob' of blackberry compote was the most blackberry-flavoued blackberry I've ever tasted. And it goes on like this for every dish, until you get to the coffee, which was the best coffee we had in Prague (but doesn't beat Flat Caps in Newcastle....). If you're in Prague, you'd be mad not to fit the Alcron into your schedule. Thirty quid a head (minus wine) for Michelin-starred food and service; what's not to like?

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I took my partner to Alcron for his 30th birthday and had the most amazing time. The food was exciting and so beautiful, we had gorgeous cocktails and champagne and to top it all off they had made my partner a birthday cake and sang to him! My best praise however is for the staff, our waitress was incredible, so friendly and informed us all about the food, extremely attentive. Easily one of the best meals we've ever had and without doubt the best staff.
I'd encourage people to try the tuna and the goats cheese dishes, amazing. Also, it was pricey for Prague but still quite reasonable at £140 for 4 courses each, cocktails, wine and champagne (we also got the most amuse bouche and amazing petit fours). So worth it.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had high expectations going to the Alcron. We were not disapointed. They lived up to their star by far! We have visited numerous michelin restaurants with two and three stars that have not lived up to the standards of The Alcron. This is value for money as well. I would go back to Prague just for a new dinner at The Alcron. Good job!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

For more than fifty years my wife and I have eaten in restaurants throughout the world, often planning whole trips around the restaurants we wanted to try. In all those years, with notes taken at most of them, perhaps twenty stand out as memorable. Add the Alcron to that list and make it one of the top five best meals we have ever had. We visited Prague for ten years in a row from 1982 to 1992 and during that time the Alcron, which was opened in 1932, was closed. Having now paid it a visit, the only question in our minds is WHY ONLY ONE MICHELIN STAR?
The restaurant is intimate, blessedly quiet and the white glove service is unpretentious and warm. The menu offers eight or nine cold dishes and the same number of hot entrees and invites the diner to design a three to seven course dinner, each at a fixed price, with wine pairings additional. Some of the food combinations sound unusual or even bizarre and may seem to test the diner's culinary daring, but having taken the challenge, the rewards are nothing less than amazing. The taste sensations are nothing like we have ever experienced before. A beet (with a t not an f) carpaccio comes with little red drops that look like miniature Hershey kisses and which immediately dissolve in the mouth leaving an intense beet flavor. The dish comes with "chocolate crumbles" and raspberries which somehow,miraculously work to perfection. One can only imagine how long it took for the chef to experment before he put it on the menu. Likewise, the cray fish bisque "with corn" arrives in a bowl containing two crayfish tails, and, among other things, POP CORN, over which a rich red broth is poured. The pop corn rises to the surface in a perfect circle around the bowl and soaks up the liquid. Utterly amazing. Other choices we made: dover sole filets, slow cooked octopus with a chorizo emulsion, another dish came with a white foam which the server said was "olive oil dust.": My wife and I were each given a different wine with each of our courses so we could compare them, with fresh glasses brought for each succeeding course. The wines, mostly from the Czech Republic and Slovakia but not exclusively, were as surprising as the food. Each dish was explained as it arrived. The portions are just the right size: not the tiny tidbits once gets with a degustation menu nor a full sized portion, thus enabling many different entrees without leaving stuffed. I recalled to my wife the time we dated as teenagers and heard Paul Whitman and his orchestra play Rhapsody in Blue at a concert. It was so overwhelming that we stood in line to get tickets for the next performance to hear it all over again. Our reservation here was for 5:30 (the only time we could get on two days notice)and we had to surrender the table by 8:00 which we just managed. Given the opportunity, I would have made a second reservation for 8:30 and done it all over again.

3  Thank chaiminded