“It is not my cup of coffee”
Review of Restaurant Alcron

Restaurant Alcron
Ranked #4 of 5,469 Restaurants in Prague
Price range: US$78 - US$111
Cuisines: European, Czech, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Nove Mesto (New Town)
Description: In the Michelin star award-winning Alcron Restaurant (2012 - 2016), an intimate restaurant with seating for only 24 people, guests can select from an extensive tasting menu featuring fresh fish & seafood prepared with creativity and flair by one of the best chefs in Prague, Roman Paulus. From the stunning wall painting showing couples dancing before a backdrop of skyscapers; to the rich Art Deco details, especially the original fireplace door dating from 1932, when the hotel opened, the restaurant provides a unique and romantic atmosphere. The Alcron's famed gourmet cuisine, its splendid surroundings and gracious service, ensure a truly memorable evening.
Prague, Czech Republic
“It is not my cup of coffee”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The vainglorious chef of kitchen combines incompatible things. The staff is good only for a while, then is lazy. Undeserved reputation.
The waste of time

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Groß Enzersdorf
“Wonderful service and excellent food!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We've been to
Prague in December 2013 and went to
The Alcron for Dinner and it was an excellent Decision! The Food was just amazingg, everything was fresh and tasty and the service was outstanding! Everyone was reallyy respectful and nice and the chef de cuisine himself came to our table to ask if we need anything else. After that he showed us the whole kitchen. İ highly recommend it!!!! Thanks again you were great!

• Visited December 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
“it's ok”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

i know myself is really complicated when it comes to food for being intolorant to gluten, onion & garlic; but i expected a michelin starred restaurant could do more than just offering two available options at main course, and that i had to choose cheese as my dessert as there was no other options.. :/

the food was ok, not particularly special or tasty in comparison to one star michelin restaurants in italy, france or uk. service was great tho

5 Thank NumberThirtyFour
Falls Church, Virginia
“Phenominal meal”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I highly recommend Alcron. The tasting menu was fabulous. The food and presentations were a work of art.

Visited July 2014
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
“Good food, but a number of issues”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I visited here for lunch with my wife whilst on holiday in Czech. I'd booked before we left the UK and had very high expectations for the visit, which for a number of reasons the restaurant didn't match.

The first issue is with the dress code, which is "jacket preferred". For me, I have no problem with a restaurant having a dress code, or indeed not having a dress code. The dress code is clearly stated on the Alcron website and when I booked, it was also stated again on the confirmation email (useful to remember at that point they of course knew I was coming for lunch, not dinner).

I was staying outside of Prague with my wife and her family so despite it being a scorching hot day, I wore a suit and open shirt on the train in and duly arrived at the restaurant with the requested jacket. There was only one other cover in the restaurant and the gentleman on that table not only had no jacket, but shorts and sandals!

I have no problem at all with starred restaurants not having a dress code, but what is the point of having one if it's not enforced? If there is no dress code enforced at lunch, they should say that, it must put people off who would otherwise pop in and would go a long way to explaining why in peak season, a Michelin star restaurant in a major tourist city only has 2 covers in for lunch. If you're going for lunch, my advice would just be to ignore the dress code and wear whatever you want.

The next issue was the service. The waiter was friendly enough, but the service was not Michelin star standard in my opinion. Food and wine explanations were hurried and unenthusiastic and basic things like keeping our water glasses topped up were not done; the glasses were empty for very long periods and once we'd exhausted our first bottle, we were not offered another despite being not much more than half way through our meal. This might seem overly picky to some, but for anyone who's eaten in starred restaurants, there is a certain level of service that's expected that wasn't met here.

The dining room is small and a very nice space, but the most important thing of course is the food, which fortunately was very good. My wife and I had 10 different courses between us; I would say 4/5 of the dishes I ate were of a high standard. The beef flank & shoulder and sicilian lemon tart were my personal favourites. The weakest dishes out of the 10 we tried were both fish based; the sea bass and pike-perch dishes were ok but not special. However overall the food was of a high standard which is the reason I've still given the restaurant a good score in this review. I had the wine pairings as well which were nice enough.

After the meal, the issues with service continued. I decided to try a cocktail which took a long time to arrive, although the waiter did apologise as he had to go off and do something else. But what really irked me is that the chocolate lollipops that were provided to the other table when the bill was presented (and I can see from previous reviews are provided to others) were not offered to us. That annoyed me a lot to be honest; just because they're not on the menu doesn't mean it's acceptable to just not bother. It's not in my nature to complain and make a scene, I did allow a long pause in case the waiter had just forgotten them, but alas, they did not arrive. My assumption is that as we were the last table in, they just wanted us out as soon as possible which really left a sour feeling to the whole experience.

In terms of cost, for a Michelin star restaurant, it does offer good value. The total cost including tip was around 5,200Kc (£145) which for two is very reasonable. Except that there is no way on earth if you took this restaurant and placed it in a city in the UK that it would achieve a Michelin star.

We ate at the only other starred venue in Prague & the Czech Republic (La Degustation) the week after. They are very different restaurants but the difference in standard is staggering, with The Alcron being a long way behind in my opinion.

However, overall, we did enjoy the food and I wouldn't rule out going back again but we're certainly in no rush to do so.

• Visited July 2014