“Gone are the good old days”

Restaurace U Modre Ruze
Ranked #963 of 5,501 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: European, Czech
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Stare Mesto (Old Town)
Singapore, Singapore
“Gone are the good old days”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

This restaurant seems have their glorious days before, as you walking down that stairs you can see the various awards hanged on the wall but those were many years ago.

We only see one single waiter in the whole restaurant, and there were no other customer except me and my wife. The deco and atmosphere was very nice, they even have a piano in there.

Unfortunately the food was terrible, I ordered the beef (H. Medailonky, CZK350) where the gravey was good but the beef slice was totally over cooked, I told the waiter about it, he politely offer me another new serving, but I have lost the appetite already.

My wife order the salmon with herb (CZK240), taste is ok only, with the overall bill pluis tax it is totally not worth the visit. Hopefully they come out of it one day.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank A K

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Moderate quality, definitely overpriced.”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

The restaurant itself is in a beautiful underground cellar- the atmosphere was lovely but that's where it ended. The food itself is pretentious- it tries to sell itself as fine dining (thus the prices) but shortcuts are taken wherever possible. The 'home-made'duck pate was either not homemade or was very poorly made as it was very dry.

We had two types of wine, the rosé. We asked for a dry one, which neither was.

The waiters where also impatient and didn't seem what was going on.

Food: 5
Waiting: 5
Wine Match: 4
Menu Technical Aspect: 3

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank iammikeg
Prague
“Massively overpriced and not worth the money.”
Reviewed 27 April 2013

If you've read any of my past reviews then you know that I try to get a good deal by buying vouchers (Slevomat/Kuponplus/Zapakatel/Lime&Tonic) which give you a discount like Groupon in the USA operate, but have rapidly come to the conclusion that the more I pay for the voucher then the more disappointed with the meal I will be.
This place offered a six course "Degustation menu" (Tasting menu) for about $40 for two people, so $20 each, which looking at their overpriced menu seemed to be a good deal.
But it was pretty dismal. The place was nearly empty on a Thursday evening and the people that were there didn't seem to be overflowing with joy, probably because they realised they had been suckered into a tourist trap but were to embarrassed to just walk out.
The waiter was polite and attentive and the food was decent but nothing special at all, and the prices on the a la carte menu which is on their website were incredibly high so naturally my expectations were quite high too. But it was merely a decent meal that wouldn't tempt me to go back there even if it were a third of the price.
The duck was very good though, so maybe they have changed the way they cook it because ours was tender and juicy. Tiny portions but I was expecting that for a six course tasting menu.
But charging 110Kc for a 0.33l bottle of Pilsner Urquell is a ripoff that simply boggles my (admittedly tiny) mind. This costs about 20Kc from my local corner shop and the cheapest bottle of wine was 790Kc for a local Czech white wine which is 85Kc from the same local corner shop. A markup of roughly 8X.
Anyone who visits Prague and has the audacity to state that this place has any atmosphere at all and gives it more than one star for value for money is a tourist new to Prague who has more money than sense. The fact that they are now doing voucher deals indicates to me that they are going out of business, and it would be no great loss. Maybe their lunch menu is good value but I seriously doubt it.
And to top it all then when the waiter brought the 115Kc bill then I gave him a 200Kc note and expected him to bring me the change as all other decent restaurants do.
I'd have left him the 85Kc with no problem but he never came back and as we left he gave us a world weary "Goodnight" as if he knew that his fate was sealed.
And I think that it is.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank WillRos
Høje Tåstrup, Copenhagen, Denmark
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

No guests other than us four.
Long waiting time.
Salmon tasted too fishy and dry. Gratinated potatoes tastes smooky and burnt.
Meat was various.
Very nice room.
Waiter took self-service 10% (no shown anywhere)
Expensive. Did not show winter card as posted upstairs.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Jacob H
London, United Kingdom
“First rate cuisine in a wonderful atmosphere with great service”
Reviewed 12 January 2013

My friend and I stumbled across this restaurant by sheer coincidence. We liked the "offers of the day" showing on the outside with the menu, and decided to give it a go. The restaurant is located in a typical gothic vault, decorated in a very tasteful and atmospheric way. I liked the music that was playing. It was still early and there was only one other couple, but the place was so beautiful and intimate that we almost felt lucky to have such a beautiful place to ourselves. The waiter could not be more friendly, he never tried to push us to order more expensive items, and the food or wine, when they arrived, were wonderful. The chef must be absolutely first rate.
As we were eating, I was happy to see the place fill up with more customers. This is a restaurant that deserves to be popular and successful, it is a real quality gem in a town where so many restaurants are average or worse.

• Visited January 2013