“They treat their customers right”

U Zlate Hrusky Restaurant
Ranked #891 of 5,853 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: European, Czech, Contemporary, International
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Hradčany & Letná
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We had reservations for 3 on a rainy Sunday night. It ended up just being two of us. When we got to the castle area, it was deserted. Sure enough, we were the only people in the restaurant. I think they would have closed the restaurant for the evening if we didn't have reservations, as there was no foot traffic around.

But rather than being put out, or acting like we were holding them up, they treated us very well, and the food was excellent. Every restaurant should put their customers first, but many don't. The food was very good (with fresh ingedients in everything from soup to salad to cheese to chicken and grilled vegetables) but the way we were treated at a time they could have just packed it in is what impressed me the most.

1  Thank HoustonCouchPotatoes

Reviewed 6 February 2013

We liked the look of the menu so decided to try this restaurant. There was only one other customer in otherwise empy dining room.

The soups (one tripe, the other onion) were excellent but the main courses were poor to average. My companion ordered pork knuckle. Usually it is served on the bone, here it was served in overcooked looking pieces which turned out to be so tough that they were inedible. On hearing the complaints, the waiter offered to change it for a goulah. The goulash was OK but nothing special. My ham Prague was a mass produced cheap ham, I had much better ham in other Prague restaurants where prices are much lower than at U Zlate Hrusky.

1  Thank Ania1946
Reviewed 29 January 2013

This was recommended to us by Czech friends. So pleased made the trip (only 10 minutes on the 22 tram to the stop after the castle, then a 2 minute walk down the hill towards the castle/loreto). Delicious food, lovely setting, attentive waiters. Not cheap, but worth it.. I'd definitely go back next time in Prague.

1  Thank christine
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We found this restaurant by accident when looking for another. It is located just outside of the Prague Castle and behind the Loreto. It had a lovely atmosphere, very pleasant personnel and delicious food.

1  Thank sleem50
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Nový Svět is a very charming and quiet street behind the Castle and U Zlaté Hrušky is the charming (though too quiet, read, NO MUSIC) restaurant you'll find there. The service is pleasant, the atmosphere is cute (in an outdated way I expected from Eastern Europe) and the food is REALLY good.

I hadn't had Brussel Sprouts since I hated them as a child, yes it was only a side-dish, but prepared so well with gnocchi and bacon that I made it for myself when I returned home =)