“Eat with the locals in historiic beer pub!”
Review of Kolkovna Celnice

Kolkovna Celnice
Ranked #300 of 5,781 Restaurants in Prague
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: Czech
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Nové Město (New Town)
Description: At the time Prague builders began constructing the building originally intended as a warehouse for the State Tax Authorities, the brewmasters in Pilsen had been brewing the unique golden Pilsner Urquell lager for over a decade, specifically since 1842. And the officials from the Main Customs office, which was located in the Nova Celnice building on namesti Republiky from 1885, possibly drank this unique lager after lunch, just like you do today. Celnice is one of the first Kolkovna restaurants and it offers everything a Kolkovna requires. First-class services, unique Czech cuisine and, most importantly, Pilsner lager. The restaurant also offers draft Velkopopovicky Kozel, Master 13° Semi-dark and Birell light.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

As you enter the historic dining area you are greeted by 10 beer taps and the "beer captain" who mans his post like a field general! The space is large, open, comfortable and you just know "you ain't in Kansas anymore"! The crowd is a mix of locals and tourists, all enjoying the wonderful authentic Czech food. Enjoy the "little sparrows" and a "half 'n half" beer (don't fret, it's a little Czech joke!). The duck, recommended by a friend, was amazing and certainly one of the best renditions of this dish I have ever had. And if the food and atmosphere wasn't enough, the prices are very reasonable.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,795)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This restaurant is located around the corner from the Prague Marriott Hotel. The place is quite noisy with people having fun. We were seated at a table just inside their outdoor patio seating. Unfortunately, the patio was full of smokers and there was a constant cloud of smoke crossing our table throughout the meal. As there were no other tables at the time (this place is really popular!), we dealt with the smoke. The food was Czech - tasty with huge amounts of sausages, dumplings, and cabbage items. The beer was cold and the food hot. Except for the smoke, it was a really nice experience.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

On advice from the hotel staff because " that's where we go and eat " I left my hotel took the first left and found Kolkovna Celnice, saw they had outside seating , weather was again beautiful so I placed myself at a table nicely in the shade. As usual a 0.5l Pilsner was ordered whilst studying the menu. I knew I had a 20 mins march to the Karluv Most " Charles Bridge " so I wanted to make sure I had 'something under my belt' and decided to order the typical bohemian goulash with dumplings. As with Czech food the meat was dark and the gravy/sauce was quite rich but still very tasty. No room for a delicious 'heavy' dessert - but at least I managed to squeeze in another Pilsner to make sure I took on enough liquids before hitting the road! Nice place, good prices , friendly smiling staff , worth a visit.

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

We ate the beer gulash and it was really good! Only my mother found it too spicy. The apricot cheesecake was superb and we also liked the bohemian cake. And in the end the price was very low: we paid less than 45 ? for four!

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Had a few drinks with my wife and her officemates during a visit to Prague. We stayed in the Hilton Old Town and this place was 3-minute walk from the hotel.

They served the beer with great head and the sausages were perfect!

Great place to have dinner and a few drinks. You can get your .5 liter of great beer here for $2.50. A great find in Prague's Old Town.