“Absolutely perfect”

Hotel General
Ranked #21 of 649 Hotels in Prague
“Absolutely perfect”
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Stop reading the reviews and book this hotel.
My fiance and I stayed here for 2 nights and it was one of the best, if not the best hotel experiences we've ever had. Cleanliness, friendliness, and a feeling of luxury were obviously priorities here and should be looked to by other hotels as to how to conduct themselves. The location was plenty easy to get to and from and the breakfast was the best hotel breakfast I've ever had.
The service was (again) friendly, but it was also very knowledgeable and helpful- no matter what we asked, there were recommendations and instructions from that wonderful staff.
AND they greeted us with champagne upon arrival AND because we were there on a honeymoon of sorts, left us a bottle of wine just to be NICE.
Fantastic. There is no way I'd ever stay anywhere else in Prague- if trying to operate on a budget, I may give up a meal here and there to afford the place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
RingaileM, Director of Sales at Hotel General, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Dear Loratimes,

It was a great pleasure to receive such warm and evaluative review on our hotel.
We are always glad to receive reviews from our guests and all the notes given are important for our future improvements.
We are very glad that you have enjoyed your stay at Hotel General and hope to see you back on your next stay in Prague.

With warm regards on the behalf of Hotel General team,

Mrs. Ringaile Radojevic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 8 November 2011

The Hotel General beat our expectations. The staff was so friendly and helpful. We even extended our stay because we enjoyed the city of Prague and the Hotel General so much. Thank you for such a wonderful and memorable stay.

1 Thank TrishaT60922
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

This was truly the cleanest and friendliest hotel I have ever stayed at. I am a clean freak and I was absolutly thrilled with how clean this hotel was. I usually get the willies before I slip between hotel sheets, but this place was so spotless, I didn't think twice about it. There was no doubt in my mind that everything was fresh. There was not even one spot of mold in the shower grout, I have stayed at tons of hotels and i'm not so sure I have ever seen that. There also was not a speck of dust in the place. I actully seen one on the maides cleaning the dust out of a lighing fixture, I was quite impressed. We had a junior suite and i was not overly impresses with the size, I worked though. The bathroom was VERY nice and a good size though. My husband did not like the bed, but I thought it was okay. (probably because I knew it was clean :)
The staff was VERY friendly and helpful. The desk clerk explained the very simple to use tram system to us and was basically a travel agent/tour guide who spoke perfect english. The resauraunts she recommended were wonderful also. Do not skip the breakfast buffet at the hotel, it was quite nice.
We will not even consider staying anyplace else should we visit the beautiful city of Prague again! Enjoy!
The breakfast buffet was pretty nice also. Definatly worth the time.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank makaylee
Mtunzini
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Excellent and friendly hotel, easy transport connections to Prague city centre, although the walk is only +- 2km. Good restaurants in easy walking distance of the hotel.

1 Thank mtunzini99
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Let’s get the bad stuff out of the way first.

Our room looked out (or should that be into) what appeared to be a disused lift shaft (that’s an elevator shaft if you’re American). I had requested a room with a view - maybe something got lost in translation. The website describes their Double Deluxe rooms “looking out over the street or courtyard.” Then, again other contributors had mentioned that the street view rooms could be noisy – so maybe it was a good thing. If you want a room with a view though - avoid 105.

Secondly, having seen the table d’hote menu for dinner, at breakfast time on our first day, we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant that evening. The menu stated that a bottle of wine was included - but we were charged around 620 Kc - circa £22.25. We hadn’t booked a table, but did request sight of the table d’hote menu - and ordered from it - so were mystified as to why we were charged. The food (and wine) were excellent. Sadly, the restaurant was deserted apart from ourselves.

That’s it as far as the negatives. Thankfully, everything else was positive, positive, positive.

We’d arranged to be picked up at the airport by the hotel limo. Our plane had been delayed by over an hour, but it, and its driver, were at the airport waiting. If you’re arriving late their car is a no-brainer. A taxi will probably cost you Cz 5-600 (£18-£21.50), the car cost Cz700 and was worth every penny. I thought about getting a taxi for the return journey but decided, for the little extra, the hotel car was a must.

We were very warmly greeted on our arrival at the hotel and shown immediately to our room – beautifully decorated and cool. As we’d arrived in the middle of a heatwave - circa 36 in the day - were we glad for the aircon.

Down to breakfast the following morning, to be served probably the best cup of coffee I can remember. Upon finishing the waiter went to remove the cup. I requested a refill - then another. For the next six days we were both offered refill after refill. The breakfast buffet was superb, cereals, meats, cheeses, fruit, yoghurt, etc etc plus several options of specially prepared hot food e.g. scrambled egg with smoked salmon, french toast, etc etc.

The staff were extremely efficient, warm and friendly to a fault. Our initial impressions of the staff only served to be reinforced every time we used the dining room over the following days.

Our bed was comfortable, the room well appointed with everything you could need including slippers and robe, tea (some lovely fruit teas) and coffee making facilities, t.v. radio and wifi. The bathroom was stocked with the usual grooming products, accompanied by the whitest, fluffiest towels to be found this side of the Atlantic.

The General is a way out of the old town, which may put some people off. However, once we’d got to grips with the tram system - the tram and metro interchange is just around the corner from the hotel - it didn’t prove to be a problem. And, I’m (very) slightly disabled needing a walking stick for support.

On the odd occasion we fancied a short stroll, the General is just a block away from the River Vitava. In fact, we bought three-day tourist passes (twice) and hopped on and off a tram or metro train whenever the fancy took or the heat got to be too much!

First, if you’re going to Prague don’t try to do it in a weekend - you will regret it. We were there six days, took things at a very leisurely pace - and enjoyed the trip all the more.

Second, stay at the General. For a five star hotel the cost is very, very reasonable.

If we do go back, and I intend to, the Hotel General will be the place I’ll choose to lay my head.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view avoid 105. Also buy a three-day tram/metro pass - you can use this as...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank harleyg98
Netherlands/Canada
Reviewed 3 November 2011

What to add to the other reviews of this hotel? It is pretty awesome. Some of the most pleasant and efficient staff I have ever encountered in any hotel.
My wife and I spent 6 days here. Excellent value if you get their online deals. It is located far enough out of the centre to be clear of the tourist traps but close enough to easy transport to make this a great advantage. The only complaint I had with the room (#102) was the garage door opener motor which seemed to be bolted to a wall directly below the bed. As a light sleeper, it woke me up very early most mornings. The hotel restaurant is very good but expensive and I would suggest giving the wine bar a miss. We made the mistake of having one drink there (couldn't understand why the place was empty) and discovered the prices are extortionate. There are lots of good local options; eat and drink elsewhere.

1 Thank overageguy
Krefeld, Germany
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Excellent service, excellent quality.
Near Metro Andel (line B) to take you everywhere but also just 20 minutes walk to charles bridge.