“Excellent Hotel”
Review of Hotel General

Hotel General
Ranked #21 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 16 June 2010

We stayed at this hotel last week and could not fault it. It was immaculately clean and the staff were extremely helpful. Rooms were lovely and bathrooms looked recently refurbished with a fabulous shower. Breakfast was again excellent and served on the most beautiful china. The food was a work of art and the fruit salad extremely fresh. The only small thing which would probably make me choose another hotel in future, would be the location. Although it is in the city centre, it is a good 25 min walk to the charles bridge. Normally this would not be a problem but if you have been walking around all day, then it does seem a bit far to get back to the hotel. However, it is a few minutes walk from andel metro station and tram stops if you do not want to walk. Would recommend Penguins resteraunt directly opposite Andel station, lovely food.All in all a fantastic hotel. Prague is a wonderful city and I would highly recommend it, much nicer than Paris. One word of warning though, ALWAYS make sure you have a tram ticket and validate it as soon as you board the tram. The inspectors are extremely aggressive, threatening towards you and thugs.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 June 2010

During my stay in Prague i've really appreciated the lovely treatment by the hotel staff.
Breakfats was excellent.
I will surely recommend the Hotel General to all my friends.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I was in Europe for business for 4 weeks and decided to travel to Prague during one of my weekends. We searched Trip Advisor and found the Hotel General based on other reviews as well as location. Boy am I glad that I did. Hotel General offered an airport pickup service that was very reasonable. Since we were arriving around 8:00P, I sent them an email to arrange for this service. The driver arrived shortly after we collected our luggage and drove us straight to the hotel. Upon arrival, Hansa (hotel staff) had our luggage out of the car and inside in no time. At the front desk, our reservation was all ready and it was just a matter or completing some personal information on the forms. The staff also asked and quickly delivered our choice of welcome drink. We had a room on the attic level (4th floor) that was both spacious and comfortable, with beautiful decor. The bathroom was one of the best I've had in any hotel in Europe. The website containing pictures of the rooms was very accurate so you won't be disappointed. Hotel General is in a quiet area of Lesser Town, just a block off of the river. But you can catch a tram or the metro just a few blocks away and be anywhere in Prague in minutes. The real treat was at breakfast the next morning. Not only was a buffet available, but you also were given a menu for a cooked to order dish to go along with the buffet. The crepes/pancakes were to die for. The very best that I have ever had. All of the staff were friendly and helpful and went above and beyond to make our stay the best possible. The only disappointment was having to leave at the end of our stay. I only wish the hotels I am staying in the rest of my trip in Europe was as good as the Hotel General. This is a place I will most certainly stay the next time I visit Prague.

Reviewed 26 May 2010

I stayed in the Hotel General in Feb 2010 on a personal weekend between business in England and in Germany. I'm glad I heeded the reviews of other travelers because it was a great place to stay.

The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The breakfast was more than enough. The room was great (although you must be careful from hitting your head because the 4th floor room ceiling slanted down). Internet worked great...which is important to me.

The location is a bit far from the main attractions, but it's only a block from the train and I don't mind walking. If you want to step out the door to the castle or peer over Old Town Square from your room window, you might be disappointed though. If it was that close, though, I'm sure it would have been much more expensive and not nearly as good of a value. All things considered, I very much enjoyed it and would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2010

A highly recommended hotel with very amiable and well-prepared staff, nice and punctual service and a lot of additional positive details that could make your trip really unforgetable.It´s obvious they really try to help you in everything and are very polite.
Good location: 20-25 minutes´ walk to the historical center and 5-7 minutes´ walk to the tram or metro connected to almost all parts of the city.Nice and quiet suburbs what is important if your idea is to study and enjoy Prague walking all day long and you get pretty tired in the evening.Excellent room service of breakfast.If my husband and me return to Prague (and I hope we will) we will repeat the hotel for sure.Staying in this hotel for a weekend can also be a nice and original present for your dearest one as it was in our case.Just try it and you won´t regret it.

Reviewed 13 May 2010

We were greeted at the front desk with every detail in order. The front desk person then offered us coffee or champagne to welcome us and proceeded to help guide us to points of interest since it was our first time in Prague. The hotel amenities were lovely. Our room was gracious and well appointed.

Reviewed 2 May 2010

The hotel was very nice, friendly staff and nice "extras" like a complimentary drink upon arrival. However the surroundings was not what we had expected. It was pretty far from the center of town and you didn't feel too safe walking home late at night. I would prefer a more central location and less extravaganza. The breakfast was nice but not excellent, being a five-star hotel I would have expected more.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aniratak79
RingaileM, Director of Sales at Hotel General, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2010

Dear Aniratak79,
Firstly, we would like to thank you for your stay at our hotel and comments concerning the hotel services. We really appreciate your comments that could give us a possibility for further improvement of services.
Secondly, we would also like to give some of the information relating your comments.
- location - our hotel is located in the city center - all leisure, entertainment and tourist attractions are located within walking distance or are easily accessible by public transport. Andel area with bars, restaurants, shopping centers, cinema, bowling and etc. is within 5 min. walk. Within the same 5 min. you can also reach docks for the tourist boats and etc. Hotel itself is located in the quiet area and usually is chosen by the traveler's who seek for peaceful rest after the days trips and noise.
- breakfast - our hotel provides 2 possibilities for breakfast - room service (that is provided without extra cost and with a special menu) or restaurant. Breakfast menu includes not only a selection of fruits, cereals, pastries, cold assortments and hot dishes (omelets, pancakes and etc), but also selection of soft drinks and champagne.
- concerning our hotel star rating - just a few days ago we have received a new certificate for 5* hotel category based to newly implied European hotel certification rules.