“First hostel stay”

Ranked #133 of 646 Speciality Lodging in Prague
Pickering, Canada
“First hostel stay”
Reviewed 29 March 2010

This is my first hostel stay. I had some disappointments but generally happy with the experience. The place is clean and well equipped. They have a stove and a small fridge in common room, decent locker in the bedroom, separate shower stalls and computers with internet access.
Disappointments:
-there were no hooks to hang my stuff in the shower
-they had board games for you to borrow but they had no group board games (example: monopoly)
-it could just be my experience but it seems the hostel draw in a colder crowd of travelers. Most of the people I saw there did not want to meet other travelers or just very reserved.

Stayed March 2010, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brookline, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 February 2010

I had a great experience with this hostel. It's very close to Prague's Old Town. It's a little hard to find on a side street, but that means it's quiet. The police station is directly across the straight making it very safe. There are several good restaurants nearby, but it's a quieter part of the city.

When I arrived, they couldn't find my reservation, but they gave me my own room instead plus a discount. Place was impeccably clean. Guests were social, but it's not a party hostel. Free internet was nice, although wi-fi was spotty. Staff was very friendly and helpful at all time. Breakfast is cereal and juice, but that was fine by me. Overall, a great experience. Great location, fantastic price, just what I wanted out of my stay.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Sydney
Reviewed 27 December 2009

We'd just come from one of the greatest hostels in the world in Berlin, so this place seemed a bit rustic by comparison, but the staff were friendly, it was cheap and it had a nice atmosphere. The communal kitchens, the free internet and the tv were a plus. Also, I got a bit addicted to the free sandwiches they hand out every morning. All in all, a good hostel in a good location. On a side note, the staff were very friendly. One guy gave us a free bottle of absinthe, but I don't think that's standard protocol.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 November 2009

if you are going to prague, this is the hostel to book! the staff was very friendly and helpful. the rooms were very clean and spacious (we booked a room for 5) and included separate lockers inside the room. the only thing lacking was the breakfast (cereal with warm milk and orange juice, not too appetizing but you did get a free sandwich). but it was free so you can't ask for more. this was my first hostel experience and it set the bar very high.
it is walking distance to old town square, wenceslas square, palladium as well as many of the other main attractions and shopping spots in prague. it is also directly across the street from a police station, so it is safe as well. definitely stay here if you can!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank hbavalon
Belfast
Reviewed 15 October 2009

I went to this hostel with 10 friends, however we all booked separately so we ended up booking two 4 person rooms and a 6 person dorm for 2 of the group. I was one of the two in the six person dorm.

I stayed at this hostel for the Northern Ireland vs Czech Republic football game and I returned this evening. At first we entered and we were quite taken aback. The stairwell and elevator look quite creepy, but when we went upstairs and entered reception it looks like any other normal hostel. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. You do get a towel if you ask for one. There is also somewhere to keep your bags.

We stayed in room 6. This was right beside the common room. Personally I would avoid this room at all costs. Not because of the room itself, the room is large with 3 bunk beds, windows and extremely big locker space. But the problem was the noise, not at night, but in the morning.

The hostel has a strict rule that after midnight no one is allowed in the common room. They must either be out of the hostel or in their rooms, unless getting ready for bed. However in the morning everyone is gathering in the common room, making breakfast and talking, which creates a lot of noise and made it difficult for me to sleep, which is not good if you have been out in one of Prague's many excellent clubs and pubs. The cleaners also came in and started hoovering whilst we were sleeping! The cleaners themselves were grumpy and unhelpful. When you smile then give you dirty looks - steer clear of them if you can.

The mattress on the bed was not great, but I found the pillow comfy enough, especially when you prop it up against the board at the back of the bed. The quilt cover was thin but this is a good thing as even though the temperature outside was below freezing (it was snowing) the rooms are warm.

I didn't have the free breakfast, cereal in the morning isn't really my thing. However there is a wide selection of eateries in the surrounding area.

There is free internet usage also. And wi-fi if you have a laptop/I-phone.

For location, the hostel was top notch. If you are looking for somewhere extremely cheap to stay after a night on the drink then this is a good place if you are on a budget. Overall - average.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
uk
Reviewed 11 September 2009

Staff were pretty unhelpful and beds uncomfortable and wobbly. The showers and kitchens were pretty clean but by no means spotless. Purely for location, this is an ok hostel but I'm sure there are better in Prague.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2009

This hostel is fantastically located for the Old Town, but for that you have to put up with tiny, overcrowded rooms and service that leaves something to be desired. We booked a 6 bed dorm, and were really pleased we did, as although it was cramped, we had a peek inside one of the 10 bed dorms and it was insane. Beds everywhere! The top bunks don't have a bar to prevent you falling out, and wobbled like crazy.

Breakfast is free, but not particularly edible. I would recommend you head to the nearby Milla supermarket (there is another nearby, called Albert, but Milla has a better range, IMO) and pick something up from there.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends